Octatrack: Is buying this a mistake in 2021?

nice abstract of your phd

3 Likes

I’m in love with my OT. As some veterans OT users mentionned here and there, it can shine on different aspects the other gear the OP is comparing it to: the sequencing is “extra neat ++ sharp”, it’s built like a tank and offers lots of possibilities. What you can do with it in a live situation is really where it’s at for me.
The vid that literally sold the OT to me was this one: Elektron Jam Session 8: Scratching & Looping with Octatrack - YouTube Even though it’s turntablist oriented music (which I like, personally) it shows really well how you can record/loop and mangle music on the fly with nice and unique results.
As someone asked on this very thread, the type of music you’re making is also a thing to consider if you want to buy this box. If you’re making “basic” boom bap beats or house music 4/4 tracks (nothing wrong with that), OT is a bit overkill imho, but if you’re making experimental/breakcore/idm type of stuff you won’t regret your decision.
Last thing to mention is the OT community: nice, helpfull, some really beautifull minds out there.

4 Likes

Amazing. Never seen that before. Even better cos he looks like a farmer.

3 Likes

:rofl:

Regarding the OP: define the word « mistake ».

OT had been the main instrument for Drew Mcdowall of ex-Coil. He had used Octatrack for almost the entire performance of Time Machine live and first two albums.
It is more than just a sampler for the sound artists.

3 Likes

He does use a lot of granular synthesis in his Eurorack setup.

He has used timestretch algorithm, especially modulating rate on OT.
There are other granular modules in his eurorack.

Yeah, loads of granular synthesis on Agalma. Great album, I really like everything he’s done post-Coil.

I really respect some artists working with OT as their central piece of instruments, not just as a sampler or drum machine.

Yeah, for sure. I’ve seen it get more common in the noise circles, too. Such a perfect device for that sort of experimental industrial and noise sounds.

1 Like

Since I’m interested in buying an OT I’m watching some videos on youtube.
The thing that scary me most is the learning curve that, from what I read, seems to be very steep.

But, I was watching this video Beats From Scratch / Elektron Octatrack Techno Jam - YouTube and I can’t see many differences from the DT in terms of workflow and menu diving.
He assign samples to the tracks and change its parameters.

i think a lot of the hype about the steep learning curve is over-stated. It does get complex if thats where you want to take it, but you can be up and running to some degree after a short while with the accompaniment of some decent tutorials. I went with the thavius beck bite size ones and while i expected to be hunkered down for weeks/months with a note pad and the tutorials on constant playback i was off to a (admittedly shaky) start after a couple of days, on my own, referring to the manual and looking up issues here on the forum as and when i needed. you can disappear down the rabbit hole of wanting to do all the more complex stuff straight away (particularly after checking out max marco’s fantastic videos) but its best leaving that stuff until later on so you dont get overwhelmed. also, just because its capable of doing a bunch of different things doesnt mean you have to learn each and every one of those things, at least not straight away

TLDR it isnt half as bad as many people like to claim it is

EDIT (replying to @emadb

10 Likes

I don’t think it’s hype per se, regarding the learning curve. It’s whether your brain functions that way (to put it simply). Not saying you can’t adapt but it comes down to whether the effort is worth it. If it’s not don’t worry about it. Find what works and move on.

I’ve had 5 OTs, 3 DT’s, an Mpc Live, One, Force and now an Mpc Live II (& 2 Op-1s)

Enough time and experience to recognise that I don’t want to program or perform music in the way the Elektrons function But I absolutely loved what the Elektrons could do. I just hated the way they did it. I realised my own music suited a more traditional approach, and the OT/DT wasn’t that.

I bought the Elektrons to try and break out of my comfort zone, but i wasn’t very productive.

3 Likes

Thats it isnt it… finding What suits you. And you won’t ever know until you’ve tried the device… you can look at what does what better but at the end of the day, it’s about that user experience and what ii you click with…

2 Likes

If possible, I think anyone curious about the OT should give it a go.

And then the spell is either broken or you’re enchanted. Or you end up buying multiple and can never quite let go. It’s utter madness.

Hi there,
in my opinion mashine+ has too much technical issues.
A freind of mine has it and it causes so much trouble.
i still use my OT and would by another again.

I don’t own a DT so I can’t say if they’re similar or not but just wanted to say that I was also intimidated by the OT even after when I got it. Still am.

Anyway, what I wanted to say was that maybe, the thing that scares you, or me, the most, the steep learning curve, is the same thing that makes the OT worthwhile in 2021 and in 20XX - it’s a machine that never runs of out things to learn how to approach. Not saying no one can master it, but maybe it’s a machine not meant to be fully labelled or defined in any one way and then left behind - it just grows with the person behind the buttons.

3 Likes

don’t worry, it’s not too difficult…what it offers in return is certainly worth it.
Watch many tutorials and then dedicate some time to learning it.

While I knew the DT wasn’t enough for me after a week…the OT really is a unique package that offers so much. Love it!

1 Like

Pretty much the same. Traditional musician.

1 Like

octatrack sounds sick bro, what are you on about? its deadly when used correctly ;]