OctaTrack + iPad Track

Had a good OctaTrack + AUM Session last night and here’s the result:

The OT is providing the percussive elements and chopped bits, while AUM is hosting all the synths and effects. I need to investigate the Slice Crackles a bit more…adjusting the Attack didn’t seem to offer much smoothing out on the start of the slices…

I would appreciate any advice on how to get rid of those ‘slice pops’ you’ll hear…I just tried to make it feel like part of the track by adding a few underlying crackly bits…

I truly love this machine…it’s so deep and satisfying to use…

12 Likes

Nice! The budget way to do this is D…o

Thanks. What’s D…o ?

DigiTakt?

Drambo

1 Like

Ohhh…hahah…but of course! Always and everyday D…O!

1 Like

Manually adjust start and end point of each slice in AED. Turn grid record off. Select slice mode. Go into AED, as you play each slice using the trig buttons, adjust start and end points so you dont hear any clicks. Trust your ears.

2 Likes

I’ll try it again. Maybe it’s the sample. Thanks for the comment.

Hi,
Can you share your method of syncing the OT with the Ipad? I am currently trying to figure it out but no luck yet.

Well. You can use AUM to set the Clock of the OT. Or if you like using AudioBus you can set the Clock with the OT and have AudioBus receive that and then populate that to your connected iOS synths and effects.

For this setup i just set AUM to the Tempo of the OT and had AUM receive play/Stop from the OT.

Thanks for the response. What of the hardware connection between the OT and the iPad? I have the OT connected to the Roland SBX-1 Syncbox which is then connected to the iPad through the Hyper-Drive USB hub, but still no show

Hrmm. Not familiar with that. Is it a Midi to USB converter? I use the Mio which is one and it shows up on the iPad in the Midi routing of AUM.

1 Like

I use a Roland UM-ONE USB to DIN MIDI adapter. Works like a charm. Does the SBX-1 need to connect to a MIDI host in order for the USB MIDI to work?

Elektron took care of us. Hold “FUNKTION” while scrolling Start/End, and it will be automatically snapped up to points with 0 amblitude. Thus no clicks.

1 Like

As opposed to starting a brand new thread, figured I’d just add to this one. I’ve learned so much in regards to integrating the iPad with the OctaTrack in the last 2 years, and thought it would be fun to add discoveries, creations and questions to this thread.

Hope to see it become an active discussion in the community for anyone who leverages the power of the iPad in their work.

Here’s my studio view for the next few weeks

6 Likes

You may be well aware but for these sorts of crackles or pops, make sure and use a Flex as opposed to a Static machine. Obviously not as a general rule but if you’re having issues I’d try that.

1 Like

I add to thsi that it may be useful to switch the view mode to stereo: for stereo samples the zero crosspoint is harder to find. If impossible to find, using mono samples gives way more chances to find a reliable zero crosspoint and get rid of the cracks.

1 Like

Why would the FLEX work better for cracks and pops than the Static? That’s a new one to me.

I’m paraphrasing but I believe if moving sample start time around etc having a sample readable in the RAM (Flex) as opposed to via Compactflash (Static) is read faster - to give my probably oversimplified understanding

Ah. My understanding is that with a fast enough CF card, it doesn’t matter that much anymore.

1 Like

Hrmmm…what qualifies as a Fast CF Card these days? Mine just feels slow to save nowadays…

Here’s what I have: