Octatrack : how can I determine the original note of a kick sample

Hi,
I am a beginner with the Octatrack and I would have my Kick in tune with my external bass synth.
How are you doing when this information is not written in the Kick Sample ?
In Live, we can use the Tuner or Span. In the Akai Force, there is a tuner.
Do you use an external Chromatic Toner ?
Or must I play the Kick in Chromatic Mode ? (I also have the Analog Rytm which forces the note when you play the note chromatically).
Thanks for you help.

Yeah, use an analyser like Span, look for the highest peak. That‘s usually the fundamental. Or you do it by ear (when it sounds good, it is good).

On Rytm and OT, pitch is relative. If the sample is tuned to a C note, you can play it chromatically and the notes will be correct. Even Rytm‘s synth engine can be tuned individually and their standard tunings differ.

by ear.
Use a tuner (hundreds of free tuner apps for your phone)

Or just dont even think about it. (My most favourite method. Works a treat.)

4 Likes

Thanks. I will try by ear as I bought an Octatrack to use it dawless.

Doing it by ear is essential on the OT. Especially when using the EQs, compressor etc.

I’d go for less in tune and prioritise having it not clash with the weight of your bassline, but still complement it. Most kicks tend to sweep through frequencies until they decay unless you’re talking like using a long 808 or something.

3 Likes

You don’t assume, from the start.

Route it into Live or play it there from USB disk mode.

Ah, maybe install GuitarTuna on your phone then?

Agree. To each their own and all that, but F9/Freemasons main man does an excellent video regarding keying your kick and why it doesn’t really make sense for most applications.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyPKVaugAhw&ab_channel=F9Audio

You can use a fixed lfo designer for finer pitch.
Pitch 0.2 semitone increments aren’t very precise.

1 Like

I used to use a tuner app on my phone, which was accurate enough, then I bought a little Korg tuner for like $20.

Something I’ve found helpful for tuning low samples is to turn the pitch up by an octave or two to check the tuning.

Down into the low bass, tuning gets kind of hard to to tell if you’re really locked in or not. Once you get below the low E of a bass guitar, you can be nearly a full semitone off and not notice.

2 Likes

Why?

1 Like

When one embarks on discovering the true pitch of a kick sample, it is essential to take Mushrooms and bring some tuning forks. They will guide you on the exploration of your kick sample’s pitch.

1 Like

I do that too. Eventually add overdrive.

Harder with the lower B of my 6 strings bass for sure !

1 Like

I don’t usually make my kick the same pitch as the bass, unless it just happens that way. I do like to re-pitch kicks to whatever sounds good. I think there’s usually some harmonic coherence with the bass, but I really don’t pay much attention to which interval.

I do however find myself trying to find the pitch of more tonal things, like if I have a sampled chord and don’t know exactly what the root note is. I don’t have perfect pitch, but do have pretty good relative pitch, so if I listen to another sound that has a known pitch, it’s pretty easy to identify the pitch of the unknown sound — if you’re not used to doing this, you can go by trial an error and pitch it up/down until it matches.

You could just load some samples with all notes, like a piano or something. Then you can audition them on the OT and compare your kick and re-pitch it accordingly.

If you don’t feel like loading up a bunch of reference samples, here’s an idea on how to do this on the OT: load up an atonal sample, like a snare, hat, or whatever. Then put a comb filter on it. You can scroll through all the notes in the comb filter and compare to the kick you’re trying to pitch.

Hope this helps

1 Like