Octatrack: Compressor Detail, Master Track 'Oscilloscope' [video]

to help analyze both basic and more advanced operation of the Octatrack compressor a technique for setting up a continuously re-sampling buffer of the main outputs to gain access to a crude oscilloscope is demonstrated, and a quirk of the master track implementation is exploited to provide a convenient shortcut to this waveform display

0:00 abstract
0:27 setting up continuous re-sampling buffer
1:24 turn off master track
1:51 set up track 8 flex machine
2:12 re-enable master track, waveform shortcut
2:52 first compressor
5:50 attack/release
7:34 parallel compression
10:25 attack/release modulation
12:34 RMS tweaking
13:16 additional compressor
16:08 closing remarks

31 Likes

that should be very useful for me :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

hopefully it’s helpful! was tough to decide how much I wanted to explain compression in general vs. just show what I often do with OT compressor and some basic strategies for dialing things in. Getting used to the OT compressor actually made me a lot better at hearing the effects of compression and setting compressors intuitively, so I wanted this video to be more about those aspects

4 Likes

Great, I was waiting for this video about the compressor!

1 Like

Haven’t watched it yet but I’m grateful in advance for all insights. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

1 Like

The “problem” with your videos is that they have so much interesting things that I have to see them several times and still don´t interiorize everything. The zoom in the screen and the screenshots of the manual, etc. are great!

English is not my first language anyway…

1 Like

hah! my videos are often designed as fairly information-packed study aids/references - it’s expected you will watch a little here and there, pause it, try something yourself, rewind, come back to it weeks later and watch a bit when you get reminded of something, etc. They are also generally aimed more at fairly experienced users that have a pretty firm grasp of the fundamentals although I like to make them relatively approachable for ambitious new users - these are the videos I would have liked to see when I bought my Octatrack :slight_smile:

9 Likes

They are the kind of videos I need, that’s for sure.

1 Like

Thanks, extremely helpful video! Already trying to implemetnt some of your ideas in my workflow

1 Like

Nice one! I had tried this before but got stumped by the OT presenting a sample from the slots thing. Thanks for sharing the knowldege! All I had to do was set track 8 as flex playing recorder buffer first, then select track 8 as master.
It really is super useful to have a crude visual meter for the OT output.

2 Likes

Brilliant idea!

1 Like

thanks a lot!! it was actually something I got into doing pretty early on with the OT although the first time I set it up properly with a shortcut like this on the master was basically an accident :grin: one thing I regret not showing in the video is switching to a stereo waveform view - which unfortunately requires stopping the sequencer iirc

:heart_eyes: love your Elektron videos btw!! and also your compilation of MD/MNM tips and tricks :muscle:

2 Likes

The whole shortcut thing is so cool - never would have thought of that in a million years. Glad to hear you enjoy :sunrise_over_mountains:

1 Like