Octatrack 2?

what to expect next from elektron?

any guesses?

Hello, Post so many times… As they’re again on Overbridge Development and probably have a commercial success with that Analog Line + Overbridge

I can’t see something like that coming. MKII is essentially + Drive and 64 steps addons which Octatrack is capable of. Plus OT is something like a Dr. Octo Rex + [url=“https://www.propellerheads.se/reason/recording/matrix”]Matrix Pattern Sequencer but with superpower ! So that’s already a Sampler at his best with slice in mind methods…

Personally i guess some additions in software updates and Maybe an Overbridge 2 at a certain point. As i buy OT, AR and A4… i have a lot to learn… and less to spend ! which is not a bad point

As i’m sick to always looking for something to cover some aspects, some territory etc… something better than this or something better than that… at a certain point it’s a trap also. So Keyboard + Pad + soundgenarators + something to get all that well recorded and something to mix nicely. Period doing Music still need to be on the top of the list not down in the list or worst…

I think an OT MKII is inevitable. Elektron knows there’s a demand on the market for it, and the machine as it stands will not be receiving any more major updates and lacks the hardware for Overbridge to be a possibility. The question is less about if than it is about when. It could be in a year, it could be 3 years, or it could be 8 years from now. I do think it’s on the horizon, but I bet they will put out something new and keep expanding the Analog machines and OB before we hear whispers of an OT revision.

1 Like

My guess is that Elektron will go in another direction. It would be foolish to publish an octatrack 2 that would make the current obsolete. Its much better to extend their synth park with machines that compliment each other. Sure, the OT dosent have the latest HiRes Display, USB-Connections, not the biggest ram etc., but there is still no other sampler on the market that could replace an OT. So question should be if they could expand the Dark Trinity. there is still a lot of improvement on the side of Manuals and Tutorials and I hope their new expert for Manuals they are hiring will improve things.

What I would like to see is a Mixer/Controller, that combines the functions of a Mixer, a midi patch bay and a Keyboard. That can connect all gear form the dark trinity and easily control all of them, play on a short keyboard, a dedicated Mixer with sliders for all the channels of the three, In/Outs etc. A pendant to the roland mx-1 but customized for the dark trinity.

Greetings,
Goat

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I don’t think A new OB. Compatible OT would make the other obsolete as not everyone uses or wants over ridge. They could still support the OS.

A slimmed (dummed?) down version that’s less of a jack of all sorts and more of a straight up sampler/sequencer with OB support would be a winner imo. Different price points, a more direct affair.

Maybe it can also load samples into RYTM :alien: I want it. :slight_smile:

Once upon a time a mkii versions of MD and MM have made previous obsolete. So why not a new sampler with an improved sequencer, Overbridge and “possibly” simplified workflow to penetrate more credit cards?

I haven’t used it but from what I’ve seen of Push 2 if elektron/anyone could make a standalone hybrid of Push 2/OT/sp555 with overbridge style separate tracks output options… I’d buy it for sure. If OT was possible 4 years ago for approx a grand then I guess in theory something like this would be achieveable now/soon in terms of price/cpu limits etc around the same price…

I am hoping for a machine strictly intended for bass. Not a 303 clone but something along the lines of that.I have a monomachine ( my first elektron machine) and I am pretty familiar with it. Always seems to come up short for me on bass lines. Ive played around with the A4 which is in my opinion the best for bass. but a dedicated bass machine is what im hoping for. Or a mixer/sync hub for the entire line up. that would be unreal

A bigger more powerful OT with outputs matched to track count, more/better effects, a few aux loops, some actual faders and possibly a second cross fader would please me.

I doubt it. The OT, as is, is a competitive hardware sampler. Even with it’s downfalls(per the users) it’s still widely known to a legendary piece of gear. Maybe when Native Instruments releases their new gear(I have no idea what it’s supposed to be, but I’ve heard it’s supposed to be good)(dick-swinging on fleek) maybe they’ll go back to upgrade the OT. Though, I don’t know if they know their way around the internal code, and I imagine it would absolutely treacherous to rebuild the same code from scratch.

Elektron have been releasing some mindblowing hardware, and I look forward to seeing what they come up with next.

In the meantime, I’m gonna have to grab one of those MnMs for cheap :slight_smile:

Midi over usb would be a nice touch for starters.

Theres a lot of features, functionality and enhancements I could/woud implement with the Octatrack OS as is…

Throw a mkII into the mix, and boy could I have some fun :slight_smile:

Where do I sign up?

I’d love to see a new Octatrack thing, especially if it was similar, yet an improved on vision of what the A4 and RYTM are.

Yet, I’d much rather see something new that replaced the OT as well as the need for a small format mixer. Lot’s of inputs, Analog EQ’s, Filters, FX, and stupid simple sampling that was more fun to tweak and save.

I cant imagine Elektron would be more interested in selling existing OT’s over selling a ton of new devices based on what they know now.

Seems something is inevitable.

this… it would be sad to see the sotware improvements that should have been implented in the OT make their way into an OT mkii.

it would just reek of engineered obselescence. not a good smell.

Is this a hint that you’d be able to finetune the OS in a JJOS kind of way after Elektron wash their hands of it? I’d love to see someone do that!!

I think chances of seeing an OTMKII is about as slim as seeing a Tempest MKII. It’s too specific an instrument and is already a classic, not despite but because of its quirky nature. That’s brand value, something Elektron understands better than most of their competitors.

But it’s also legacy, which I think they understand equally well. They’ve got a rep for class act hardware within the sampling realm. They’re only getting started. Whatever they got cooking within sampling, it’s something that’s a lot of the things the Octatrack aren’t and never should be, and lot of the things you’d always wanted it to be, and some things that’ll make you keep your Octatrack and yet buy whatever this new piece is.

Roland’s left the field wide open with their SP series. Hasn’t been updated since grandpa wore shorts. And Korg’s new Electribe is just a modest attempt at grabbing a slice of what’s available. Let’s not get into Akai’s confused development.

When Ableton launched Push2, they tried hard to show us the Push with just a wire connected to something. The computer was out of sight. Because this is what a lot of people want now. It’s a ball and chain for many. We want to get rid of it.

Elektron’s my best bet they have the answer. Roland’s a tight second, perhaps with Novation breathing them in the neck.

Is this a hint that you’d be able to finetune the OS in a JJOS kind of way after Elektron wash their hands of it? I’d love to see someone do that!! [/quote]
Moonbeams answer:

Love to do that and I’m sure that I would have fun, or a mental breakdown trying… I know that I’ve got a list of things I’d want to do… sure, why not? :stuck_out_tongue:

Pragmatic answer:

Elektron have a whole bunch of developers, engineers et al, with a whole bunch of very serious and varied skills, no question there.

They are a bunch of very intelligent, highly skilled and passionate people… no doubt they have their very good reasons for everything, why the OS is the way it is, why it was desgined the way it is, its limitations etc.

Its amazingly easy, regardless of field/discipline/scenario etc, to throw assumptions and presumptions around… with full clarity and knowledge, the truth can often be quite different.

Regardless… I wouldn’t hold your breath on that happening any time soon… I’d either have to:

a) Go work for Elektron, and be put in charge of Octatrack development. Refer the pragmatic answer re skills/resources. They’re better then me.

b) Be given the OS, doco, code etc. Pretty much zero chance of that happening. Can’t imagine any company doing that, no?

c) Rewrite the entire OS from scratch… umm… thats complicated, and who’s going to pay me to do that? Reckon Octatrack users are going to kickstart a year or two’s worth of my salary to do that?

That, and I’d much rather design and build my own hardware, from scratch then do that project… to the kickstarter!

PS: JJOS is a total anomaly. My understanding is the JJOS guy used to work for Akai on the MPC’s for like 10 years… thats a world of difference when you have all that knowldege, have been working on the same hardware, code, tools etc then attempting such a project from scratch.

3 Likes

Countersigned.

dunno
the OT seems so fucking complex
who has the time to learn it (broadly speaking)

a device with the simplicity & quirkiness of the UW part of the MDUW
but a modern feature set & lush effects