Introducing Digitakt

agreed

A 1,300.00 € instrument where you can use samples like in the 70s. This is like staying in a 5-star hotel in the 35th floor, but you have to use the stairs to get there… :sob:

2 Likes

Is the Digitak can make Polyphonic Sequencing???

Why’d you buy it then? You should always research well before dropping that much coin on any product.

Anyway, there’s SDS drop and elektron has stated new sample transfer implementation is coming along with the digitakt software.

BTW how did you use samples in the seventies? Curious to know… :diddly:

1 Like

The new buttons and screen on this box really makes ya wonder what the next big item from elektron is going ti be like.

Are the drum triggers velocity sensitive on the digi? I dont think so. So that’s interesting. I can maybe imagine elektron using those style buttons instead of the clicky buttons in future sequencers.

Maybe the next OT will forgo the clicky nature of it’s interface for something with soft buttons and AR style velocity pads. I’d like that very much.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Octatrack 2?

Yes, the Digitakt’s MIDI sequencer tracks are polyphonic. Please read the previous post by @Ess:

3 Likes

hi,
would I be right in assuming that the digtakt will be more a sample drum machine than sample performance machine? by this I mean it can trigger single shot samples and loops rather than chop and mangle them like the octa does?
I know it’s only guess work without concrete details but I didn’t hear any mention of sample slicing etc so far

thanks, muzka

1 Like

Also worth noting the polyphonic sequencing has some quirks, if it’s the same as OT? I found that out the hard way.

You are somewhat right about the sample editing functionality.
It would be a nice feature to have a page where you can edit the samples.
However I have never missed it, it depends on your workflow of course.

I create my samples mostly within my DAW + Wav editor with which I am okay with.
I really like the AR as it and I forgive it for not being perfect, sounds a bit cheesy,
but I really, really :heart_eyes: the AR

Yep, but by April they should have solved this.
They promised better sample transfer, I expect something within OB??
They told it will work for the AR as well.
Maybe they can add a wav editor?

1 Like

I’d like to know what sampler from the 70s you are referring to, since to my knowledge the only option then was using tape (see Throbbing Gristle, etc.).

Man, people love to bitch on gear forums. If only they spent the same amount of time and energy actually making music with what they have…

3 Likes

hi, thanks.

yes i’d seen that and he only states its good for transposing. It was just at namm they were saying it will great for bringing in finished tracks and performing them live. I thought this may have suggested some live remix possibilities but I guess they did say they hadn’t tried the machine yet so may have just been guessing at it’s scope.

muzka

There are people who pay more than € 1300,00 for a guitar from the 70’s :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s all a matter of taste and how much money you can/want to spend.

Do you want something which really sounds good / has character and is really fun to play.
OR
Do you want something which sound, wel eh… okay and has all the luxury you can wish for

Hmmm…

:thup:

I am just complaining about missing features. Of course the analog rhythm sounds pretty well and I like the unit for the things it can do. Is this community only a place where you praise Elektron or a democratic place where you can also say things that you dislike.

It would be great to see that electron is fixing these issues, but if not I can deal with it.

5 Likes

I agree. I was asking because I almost was buying the octa when this was announced.
I want a machine to take tracks I’ve recorded into daw and bounced down as loops then play live with a few pieces of sequenced hardware. I don’t need the complexity of the octa but I would like to make some basic edits of the loops when in the machine such as slice and edit into loop variations and some effects on parts when playing live. The digitakt almost seems perfect for most of my needs

1 Like

was going to buy Rytm…should I wait??

Don’t mean to single you out. My response just address this generalization, not you specifically. I see this type of statement a lot.

Do you know lovtscho? I don’t. Maybe the guy has 10 albums under his belt, works 60 hours per week on his music, and stops by here to post a legitimate and very common complaint (outside of the immediate Elektronauts ecosystem perhaps) in a post which maybe took 30 seconds? Just saying. All the posts griping about gripers seem to assume an awful lot.

I never quite understand the sentiment that gear forums should contain only praise for a product. As long as complaints/concerns/wishes are made in a reasonably mature and calm manner, what’s the problem?

If I were the CEO of Elektron I’d personally love to see uncensored feedback on my products. I wouldn’t want forum members to try and stifle reasonable feedback. I’d want to know what all customers were thinking, not just the positive stuff. Negative feedback can help to strengthen and improve future products as well as refine firmware and operating systems of current products.

I think it would be kind of amusing to have the people saying “the gear is great as it is, stop complaining, use what you have! etc.” sign a contract saying they won’t use any new OS features or new machines in the future. I don’t think anyone would actually sign it. :wink: And, if we stop and think about it, maybe some of those new features might, might, be due to people speaking up on manufacturer’s forums and feature request threads.

Specifically, I’m thinking about how Ableton integrated MIDI sequencing in Live after years of user complaints/wishes/feedback, or how Propellerheads finally integrated audio and sampling into Reason after years of “bitching” from loyal paying customers. Something tells me the same users who “griped about the griping” on those respective gear forums probably now happily use those added features.

Just my 2 cents. I’ll go away now. Back to Digitakt…

9 Likes

The RYTM’s inability to precisely trim samples in the box is why I sold mine. It’s a legitimate complaint. I was convinced it was an oversight, and kept thinking there was no possible way Elektron wouldn’t eventually implement this simple ability/feature with a a future OS update. If the Digitakt can record samples, but does not have the ability to trim them properly in the box (like you can on an SP12 which is over 30 years old, or the simplest of budget samplers like a Boss SP-303) I’d have zero interest in it. It’s ok to express this opinion imo.

12 Likes

I don’t know lovtscho, and I wasn’t trying to single him/her out either…more commenting on the barrage of dismissive comments that any new piece of gear seems to illicit on the internet. “Oh, it doesn’t have XYZ? It might as well be a fucking toaster!”…meanwhile, nobody has heard a single sound or seen a demo, but it’s already a worthless piece of crap and everybody on the internet needs to know my opinion…

I mean, sometimes those initial instincts are correct, but it seems like gearheads have a really difficult time with managing their expectations and jumping to conclusions. Doesn’t meet your needs? Bummer. But at the same time, unless you’re absolutely unable to create with what you already have, why not move on and make something. Who knows, by the time there’s actually something to see about said piece of gear, you might actually discover that it does exactly what you wanted, and if not you’re still creating. Every gear forum I frequent is rampant with this, and it is a bit obnoxious.

6 Likes