OctaEdit - Octatrack Software Editor and Librarian [ OSX / Windows ]

how can we get this ?
possible also on mac ?

You contact me when it is ready, which is not quite yetā€¦

Everything is possibleā€¦ but not just at the moment.

Looks like something that will finally make me dip my toe ITB.

This would be sick. Iā€™d throw down for it for sure.

Looking first class!!

:+1: :+1:

killllaaaah!!!

how much cash you need for osx?

thats what I wonder also.

thats what I wonder also.[/quote]
Probably about $27 based on my estimates *

* That estimate may be wildly inaccurateā€¦ :thinking:

wow, please develop an os x version. i feel, over time, youd have at least 100+ ppl looking to buy such software for os x. at 20$+ thats several grand.

Great work Rustyā€¦ the screen captures look quite comprehensive.

Preference for OSX, but I keep a pc netbook around for stuff like thisā€¦
so yeah, whatever comes first its a win.

Check on the os x version. :+1:

One suggestion: Avoid drop down boxes, since you need to click twice to set the value (then I mean values on rate, pitch etc.). Better with a text value that you can ā€œdragā€ up and down.
Do I understand rightly that you need to set the values in the editor first and then send them to the Octa?

One suggestion: Avoid drop down boxes, since you need to click twice to set the value (then I mean values on rate, pitch etc.). Better with a text value that you can ā€œdragā€ up and down. [/quote]

The graphical layer wil come last, and may or may not have knobs / text values to drag up/down, function over form.

The advantage of a drop down list as used it that it allows the ability to restrict to only the valid values available; and is a quickly accessible control (both programatically and for end users) and depending on the control/parameter, the list is different, and there is a lot of parameters, oh, and Iā€™ve already built all this logic.

A good example is the Static Machine -> Playback -> ReTrig Timeā€¦ would not expect an end user to know, or enter a correct value off the top of their head.

Problem with approaching from a text value that can be dragged up/down, or using knobs/sliders is having to provide the code to deal with all those variations, a lot easier to do when you have a physical encoder to read off. The drop down list is a low overhead approach, and even then there is a lot more going on behind the scenes.

Just having text valuesā€¦ the big problem with that method is you need to ensure that the end user enters a valid valueā€¦ else this will not be recognised by the Octatrack. Technically the values that the end user sees, e.g. -2.6db is not what the Octatrack sees, there is a translation layer as well.

So the overhead in ensuring that the end user enters a valid value if you allow manual entry can be massive, especially when you factor in all the controls and potential options on the Octatrack, and of course end users.

[b]

[/b]

The editor reads the values from the Octatrack, and sends the values to the Octatrack.

So the only values that you need to set are for the parameters that you want to change.

For example, load a Project, all the parameters are read, then change the value of say Amp Attack, then save the Project = done.

Or you can load a Project from one Set, and then save that into another Set without changing a single parameter = Project Copy

Iā€™m a noob still but starting to realize the need for this. Itā€™s extremely easy to import samples all organized and tidy. But I noticed things Iā€™ve recorded are a bit less. For one thing; I canā€™t seem to save to folders.

One suggestion: Avoid drop down boxes, since you need to click twice to set the value (then I mean values on rate, pitch etc.). Better with a text value that you can ā€œdragā€ up and down. [/quote]

The graphical layer wil come last, and may or may not have knobs / text values to drag up/down, function over form.

The advantage of a drop down list as used it that it allows the ability to restrict to only the valid values available; and is a quickly accessible control (both programatically and for end users) and depending on the control/parameter, the list is different, and there is a lot of parameters, oh, and Iā€™ve already built all this logic.

A good example is the Static Machine -> Playback -> ReTrig Timeā€¦ would not expect an end user to know, or enter a correct value off the top of their head.

Problem with approaching from a text value that can be dragged up/down, or using knobs/sliders is having to provide the code to deal with all those variations, a lot easier to do when you have a physical encoder to read off. The drop down list is a low overhead approach, and even then there is a lot more going on behind the scenes.

Just having text valuesā€¦ the big problem with that method is you need to ensure that the end user enters a valid valueā€¦ else this will not be recognised by the Octatrack. Technically the values that the end user sees, e.g. -2.6db is not what the Octatrack sees, there is a translation layer as well.

So the overhead in ensuring that the end user enters a valid value if you allow manual entry can be massive, especially when you factor in all the controls and potential options on the Octatrack, and of course end users.

The editor reads the values from the Octatrack, and sends the values to the Octatrack.

So the only values that you need to set are for the parameters that you want to change.

For example, load a Project, all the parameters are read, then change the value of say Amp Attack, then save the Project = done.

Or you can load a Project from one Set, and then save that into another Set without changing a single parameter = Project Copy[/quote]
Sorry, I am not clear.
I donā€™t mean you enter a value, but kind of click once on the value and ā€˜dragā€™ among a list of possible values. Then you skip the click (fold out the dropbox) + click (chose value). I think it would make it more usable. But I understand it is maybe not the first thing to consider writing this program. :slight_smile:
When it comes to loading and saving the project between software and the Octa, I am not sure I would like to work this way (if I understand it right). One major thing with the Elektrons is the tactile to audible relationship, you turn a knob and listen for the right setting. In this case the software is the controller and while adjusting the values I would like to hear the change. Is this possible?
Anyways, thanks for doing it. I am really looking forward to testing it.

No you were clear, I understood what you meant, I was just rationalising the design choice.

The problem with the drag list as you describe is that there is no native control (I donā€™t think there is) that performs that way; so need to code a control to behave like that (doable, but takes time), or use a third party library (again, not sure if one exists)

Advantage with the drop down lists from a programming perspective is it cuts out a lot of the above / are a reasonably quick and esy solution, but there is still a lot going on in the background.

Short version: No

Long version: No, it wonā€™t operate in real time. If I could, I would. This is due to a combination of:

a) the Octatrack stores the current project you are working on in flash memory, and I donā€™t have access to that.

and

b) the Octatrack doesnā€™t have a fully fledged midi specification, thus canā€™t access data that way.

Bear in mind that I havenā€™t received any information or help from Elektron whatsoever on thisā€¦

yeah Iā€™d get rid of this sort of direct parameter editing altogether.
this makes no sense if you canā€™t get instant feedback.

editing params on an Elektron box is usually fun, so why translate simple knob twists into a ridiculous mouse-heavy workflow?

imo focus on the organizational / project management side of thingsā€¦