OctaChainer v1.3_

I’ve been thinking aboutsampling some single-cycle waves out of my Kawai K1m and using them in a sort of pseudo Megabreak setup. Since they’re samples of additive synthesis waveforms to begin with, in groups of about a dozen variations of each general timbre organized from fewest overtones t most overtones (around 220 different waveforms total plus some one shot samples for drums and transients) I could use each matrix sample for a different group of waveforms and then use the slices and scenes so that as I moved the crossfader from left to right the number of overtones would increase. It wouldn’t be smooth like what you get in the K1M by using envelopes and the joystick to blend between different waves, but I bet it would sound cool. Or maybe I’ll make similar additive waveform sets from scratch in CSound or something, I just like those K1m sounds.

3 Likes

If you do, I would love to try them out. I would even donate some cash as a gesture for your work :slight_smile:

I’ll try to get it done over the next week or two.

1 Like

They are of the same length.
As I wrote before, the tool do works for a 16x16 scenario.
I need it to work if I want 64 samples. did you try using 64 ?

There is already something like this:

Also I believe you cannot get a wavetable scanning type of effect just pressing a trigger then moving the crossfader.
I think it needs to be retriggered in order to “load” another slice(single cycle)

On the files you sent me, there were slight lenths variations. If you want perfect results, I think lengths has to be strictly the same.

I’ll try with 64 files if I can today.

Which one?
Those created by hand in PT or the ones in the ORIG folder?
Anyway, I known the technique quite well and I succeeded having it working properly in the OT.
I am not able to understand the “mechanics” behind Megabreak mode in Octachainer when asking it to perform more than 16 files.
Thanks for you help!!

Orig files.
You’re right, only 16 slices on the 16 split output files, instead of 64.
@Abhoth, any idea ?
Bug report ?

1 Like

That would be awesome, I used to own the whole Kawai K1 Family at one point and really miss the warm lofi sounds that those units produced. Did you know the chord you hear at the beginning in the track LFO by LFO is one of the presets of the K1?

2 Likes

I think you’re right, actually. I havent’ tried it for wavescanning but I’m pretty sure I’ve noticed that when I’ve changed the start point with scenes or modulated it with an LFO. It would still be nice to have all of those waves handy, though, so I’ll sample them regardless. The K1m itself doesn’t do wave scanning anyway, it just has up to four simultaneous layers and lets you crossfade between them with a joystick or envelopes, more like a TG-33 than a Wavestation, so you could still get some verye similar sounds out of the OT, you’d just need to sarifice four tracks. In fact, you could replicate almost all of the K1m architecture in the OT (but monophonically and with simpler envelopes).

Didn’t know about that LFO track but I can definitely recognize it now that I’m listening for it. K1m in particular used to be just about my favorite cheap synth, until the prices started going up. It was just a couple of years ago they were as cheap as a Yamaha FB01 but a few people I’ve recommended them to recently have said they couldn’t find them for under $150-$200 now!

@sicijk I didn’t check but I think a workaround for now is to do 16 splits 4 times, and copy / paste them in a DAW to have 64 slices.

1 Like

I haven’t forgotten about the Km multisamples, , I’ve been busier than I expected the last couple weeks but I should have time to do it after the holidays.

2 Likes

The main issue is that the most time consuming part is to prepare the .ot files in the OT.

I mean, preparing the matrixed files, for me on Protools, comes pretty fast, but then, within OT, selecting those 16 files and saving the 64 sliced version is a lot of time…

1 Like

Hey !

Anyone managed to output correct files when using 64 samples ? ie : 64 sequences matrixed in 16 x 64 slices sequences ?

Thx.

Seems to be buggy. Topic about that in french Audiofanzine OT forum. A guy tried to ameliorate the open code…I didn’t tried yet.

Nobodies gonna ameliorate my code… :smile:
What does ameliorate mean anyway? :thinking:
:joy:

2 Likes

Improve

1 Like

Thank you…
I did not anticipate my inquiry to be taken seriously, the joke works better without any seriousness involved…:joy:

No it does not :joy::rofl::grin::smile:

2 Likes

Try Octaedit maybe…:smile_cat:

2 Likes