OctaChainer v1.2

New to Octatrack and so grabbed this app yesterday, for use on Windows 10. No matter what I do, which samples I use, it fails to create output. Or rather, I get a 44-byte WAV file each time. Reported on the web page but thought here might be good too.

1 Like

Do you use 44.1khz 16bit or 24bit wav files?
In which mode is it buggy?
I only had problems with Megabreak mode, with more than 16 files.
Windows 8.1

I want this for “Octatrack slices” but have tried it with “Evenly spaced” as well.

To make things easy, I have converted all the test files to 16-bit mono 44.1 kHz. The files are all selected from the same folder. I have tried just two drum files or all 64.

I am not changing any of the OT attributes. neither am I using fades, normalisation, etc.

Have tried with 24-bit and stereo as well. Also tried with long files, not that this makes any sense for usage of this program.

The results are always the same.

If I knew how to create the OT file from DAW markers, I could just do this in Samplitude.

I’m a Samplitude user too. :wink:
Export Objects is useful to create slices.

Weird it doesn’t work. If you want I can test with some of your files, to check if it can be related to W10.

Do you know OctaEdit?
It also have a sample chainer.
http://octaedit.com/

This has been on the website since I first went to try Octaedit: “Sorry. OctaEdit is temporarily unavailable for purchase at the moment.”

Then I went to buy a stand at Crema Caffe and got this: “We are currently on parental leave”.

Then I tried OctaChainer and it doesn’t work.

Really not a good time to be a late adopter of Octatrack!

OctaEditV2 should be avaible soon, maybe in September, I hope.

Octachainer 1.3 worked for me. I think I have 1.2.

You can also place your samples with Samplitude grid, and apply a slice grid in OT.

2 Likes

I just drag’n’drop all files to one track. Then set CD indices on object edges. Generate a report and it has all the slices noted.

But how to convert this to a .OT file? I could write code if I knew the format.

I have tried every type of file, so I know it’s not that.

Do you mean align all the samples on some regular grid? Does it matter how wide this is?

EDIT: Manual page 81. OK.

I guess this method will waste RAM with empty space, but I can do it for now… once I figure out how!

Thanks for your help here BTW.

1 Like

Slices have to be equal length, and their number should correspond to OT slice grid values (2,3,4,6 etc…).
Apply slice grid in audio editor > slice.

1 Like

Is it possible to edit the slices after the grid does the initial slicing? For example, if almost all of the sounds fit in four steps but some need longer.

Otherwise for now I will remove the longer slices to avoid a real waste of space.

Yes editing possible.
The particular thing to know is you have to be out of slices selection to add a new slice.
This new slice with change consecutive slice numbers, same if you delete one.

To make it simpler I’d do it like this :
Let’s say if average sample length is a quarter note; you can have whole note samples, apply a slice grid corresponding to a quarter note, then delete slices for longer notes (remove 3 slices for a whole note).
Not very clear explanation, hope you’ll get it.

That’s exactly what I was thinking! But in the meantime I am preparing 64 drum hits in the same grid, as a start.

Maybe this isn’t really the very first thing one should do with an Octratrack… but you have to start somewhere!

Maybe it is. :content:

With 64 samples of course you won’t be able to delete slices, (64 slices max).
You can also consider start points (128), with length = 1, and change length for longer samples.

Btw in slice mode you can also increase Length with slice numbers as unit (a whole note is 4 slices). Length = Slices in Playback /SRC SETUP.

1 Like

Using this all the time recently, so good being able to use samples of arbitrary lengths and having them pre-sliced as soon as they go in!

So which version should I use? v1.2?

I use 1.3, more features. 1.2 didn’t work for @robin0112358 too.
Windows 10 problem? Any W10 users using Octachainer?

1 Like

Win10 user here, OctaChainer 1.3 works (haven’t used it extensively so there could be Win10-related bugs I missed) but I made some 64-slices drums chains and they worked fine (no drag 'n drop is a bummer though)

2 Likes

Such a cool app, I’ve been using it for it’s wav creation for my blackbox and digitakt for chains. Super neat. I was wondering if the functionality could include disabling the creat of the Oct. File or whatever it’s called.

For Digitakt, don’t you use Evenly spaced grid mode? I guess it doesn’t generate .ot files.

1 Like