OctaChainer v1.2

Amazing app!! Thanks a lot Abhoth, you made everything easier.

1 Like

Finishing up getting my favorite samples chained up. Thanks so much for your effort!!

actually, there might be loads of user error on my part of course but itā€™s not working out for me. when i create the grids they are off. seem to be evenly spaced, regardless of sample length. have tried all different grids. am i doing something wrong?

Thank you Abhoth! Nice work. Have you considered adding a Normalize function? IMHO that would make this the perfect utility.

1 Like

Assuming you are an OT user, just have slice mode set to normal and make sure to copy both the .wav and the .ot file to the octatrack. You mention you create grids, but you should not do that. That is what this tool is for!

EDIT: I probably misread you, I see now that you mean when you create the grids in the tool, not on the Octatrack. Sorry about that. If you used both .wav and .ot file then Iā€™m not sure what could be wrong. Would you mind typing down a detailed description of what you are doing and what version (Win or OS X) you are using?

Thanks! A normalize function would be trivial to add, it just havenā€™t occured to me. Perhaps a choice of either normalizing each separate slice or the resulting combined file? There have been some other nice suggestions for features Iā€™d like to add as well. Iā€™ll try to get around to adding these one of these days.

1 Like

hey, thanks. what i was doing is taking 60 kicks i have and sticking them in your app, adding 4 slices (to get up to 64) and then bringing it into ot, at which point i attempted to create a grid slice of 64. when i did this the slices would show up before some samples, in the middle of some others, etc. basically creating 64 even cuts over my long sample, regardless of the individual hits. from what you just wrote it seems that grid does not need to be made in the ot, it already exists. am i misusing the add slices feature in the octachainer?

Yes, that is correct. In normal slice mode (which is the one that makes sense for the Octatrack) the tool creates a slice per sample, regardless of their relative lengths. This and whatever you set over in the OT attributes section is saved in the .OT file that is created alongside the .wav. Copy both to the Octatrack and your slices should already be there.

The add slices feature is mainly for RYTM users. They need samples aligned to a grid (hence the grid slice mode) and a certain number of slices. I left the add slices feature enabled for normal slice mode as well since it could be useful as placeholders. If one, say, has lots of drum kit sample chains and want snares to always start on slice 16 or similar.

2 Likes

I think the normalize-per-slice would get used the most, since it results in a nice file of uniform volumes, but having per-file could be cool too. Iā€™m thinking of the normalize-per-slice function as being a one-click operation, where the program is normalizing each slice independently, yet spitting out the single chain, as it does now. (vs being able to normalize a specific single slice or selection of slices).

Also, if you can implement a function where the user could shift-select and clear an arbitrary number of imported files, that would be ace.

1 Like

Thanks Abhoth!

1 Like

broken link osx ?

Yeah, the links on top are to the files section of the old forum. Those links donā€™t work anymore, and I canā€™t edit them. I posted new links some posts back in this thread.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a ā€œpopular linksā€ box right under the first post, there you can find the dropbox links for the current version. Thatā€™s where I downloaded it at leastā€¦

btw thanks a lot @Abhoth for this very handy tool!!!

Cheers Abhoth,
Soooo much quicker than making up chains in Ableton Live.
If youā€™re looking for features for a v.2, then maybe a ā€˜Delete Allā€™ button for the sample list?

Thanks!

1 Like

+1 to delete all. IĀ“m constantly closing and reopening octachainer for that reason.
Thanks again Abhoth.

There is a ā€œFile -> Newā€ option. Isnā€™t that what you want?

3 Likes

Aha! Hidden away in the file menu!

ctrl + n on Mac.

Cool, thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

hah right! thanks.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this wonderfully useful tool.
For the AnalogRytm it would be nice to have an additional mode ā€œleast common multipleā€.
A kind of mixed mode between grid mode and normal mode but which calculates the grid size for small samples in relation to the larges sample length and sorts them.
So if you mix longer and smaller samples, the smaller fill up the length of a the largest sample but also fall onto the 120 grid raster.
This would make it easy to put for example a complete drum machine into one chain without wasting to much memory because of the typical longer cymbal samples.

Does this make sense?
Cheers
Chris

1 Like

neither windows or osx download links seem to be working. whats the issue?

nevermind, i read down a few more posts! lol

2 Likes