OB-X8: Oberheim. Welcome back

I might actually fork out the money for this one… I just wish it had a touch screen, sampling, and song mode.

5 Likes

I saw black keys and lots of witch hat knobs!

1 Like

Looks like obx, not obxa

Hopefully it’s an evolution.

1 Like
  1. continuously variable filter mode switchable to 24dB :pray:
  2. SEM 8 mode > each voice has nudged parameters, not just a osc slop.
3 Likes

I see that Oberheim is listed as an exhibitor at Superbooth ! I am pretty sure this is new. There is no blurb or location attached to this, but my guess is it’s in the Sequential Novation neighborhood. Does Tom make the trip ?

( Does Dave make the trip ? ) They could both go virtually.

5 Likes

Something similar to how UDO did it with a few parameters would be cool (vs the usual slop, which isn’t horrible imo).

I’m mostly hoping for a lot of high resolution modulation capabilities.

Maybe something unexpected? Timing feels like they might be able to get the new MPE capable Fatar Keybed in there.

Either way, I hope it’s not a straight re-hash. We are only going to be getting a few more instruments out of these legendary minds at best.

I want them to be the new benchmark for the next generation to hurdle. Not just sound but execution and user experience as well.

5 Likes

And there are a couple companies that will be using the Medeli poly-aftertouch keybed too. Good idea Airyck. Things like that can make some of the older pieces really new.

1 Like

Are they only gonna give us one tease every two weeks? How long until this is released? :weary:

Superbooth opens 12th of May, so not long.

2 Likes

Yes! While Dave has been distractedly immersed in the business of being competitive, it would be nice to see the fruition of things Tom has been sitting on for forever.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s got that grey of the OB-X.

So, “like the OB-X, but the future”.

How much future is the question.

Also, why is that bartender, who understands electrical engineering, a bartender?

2 Likes

Maybe Tom added hoverboard mode?

I gotta find this bar.

3 Likes

Me too, he picks up the napkins and just by looking at the circuits he understands. He know that Prince used it in 1999 and he knows that circuits are the same but also the future.

I think those 3 just walked out and missed out on a synth designing prodigy.

5 Likes

This is probably a Good Will Hunting scenario. I say we go out there. You can be Ben Affleck, and I will be a regular at the bar. We’ll play Good Will, Bad Will with that bartender until we figure out the real synth of the future.

3 Likes

I’ll start practicing my impressions, you find the bar!

1 Like

Look, it’s a rough industry, people make choices

2 Likes

Okay its 100% an OB-X reissue, likely with a few tweaks.

I’m gonna go back to waiting and hoping for an Xpander reissue.

2 Likes

New thread name.

13 Likes