OB-X8: Oberheim. Welcome back

point taken. i own a prophet 12, which feels modern while also harkening back. i still hope they release something new.

1 Like

I’m thinking it will be an OB-X, but with switchable filters for the OB-Xa, like Dave did with the P5 reissue, and a vintage knob. The timing is right also.

The OB-6 followed the P6 by about a year. The P5 reissue was released 1.5 years ago, so the OB-X is due.

The OB-X was originally created to compete with the P5, and was released the following year. The joke at the end of the new video is probably the biggest tell, when the bartender says “Party like it’s 2099”. I believe Prince used the OB-X on 1999.

Sequential also has the trademark for the OB-X.

8 Likes

I’ll be happy if all they do is put the logo on the OB-6 :joy:

2 Likes

What about the dots near the feedback resistor though, looks like something could be missing from the picture.
And yeah, there are two feedback paths.
Not really sure what this is.
Could it be for full wave rectification?

1 Like

You don’t have to think, it seems fairly certain that between the allusion to Tom arranging the original OBX circuits on napkins at a cafe, the obvious OBX J3PO is playing in the background, and the “Intent To Use” OBX trademark that has been renewed very recently, not to mention that Focusrite has bolstered sequentials resources massively and Prophet 5 reissue is a smash hit that the new parent company has to want more of – an OBX is coming. What the features are, and what other products are coming is a mystery, though!

Ok cool, I’m done with all that thinking then.

2 Likes

:wink: Just having a bit of fun

1 Like

I was just joking around as well.

But now I’m thinking I might be done thinking for the day. We’ll see how the next 14 hours plays out.

1 Like

Tom Oberheim is 86. Hope he makes it all the way.

I can, with almost absolute certainty, declare that it will be an OB-X reissue…

not because I have any inside knowledge of any kind, but because I’m a backer of the VS-1 kickstarter.
So it will be interesting to see if they release this, 100% for real, OB-X reissue before I get my damn VS-1.

1 Like

Imagine being on gearslutz now

3 Likes

:joy:

I thought the bloke who wrote the music on the trailer said it was a new synth. ( except for drums that were samples )

Though perhaps new can still mean a reissue.

More Boring Stuff

It looks something like that, except both diodes sit in parallel in opposite polarity, with only that one resistor in series with one of the diodes. That will decrease the voltage of one side of the wave, the positive one i think. So that gets fed back to the inverter, inverted again, and so on.

I’ve been thinking similarly. Fun to think about what you might do differently to one half of the signal to re-invert.

One place i am rusty at is working out what an inverted feedback does with an AC signal. The difference made by that resistor, and any other circuitry left out, then gets fed back mixed and inverted again, and so on.

I either need to model this, or work out the series equation. ( I think that is how to work this out. )

3 Likes

I already want whatever this is, so bad… but it’s going to be out of my price range.

That didn’t work out too well. There was some sort of a maze on the back of this Lucky Charms box.

Oh well, I bet this OB-X will be magically delicious.

1 Like

Unlikely (though I know there would be a market):
Strummer 3000
Cyclone 3000
Prommer 3000

It was nice to see North Beach in this video!

1 Like

I am really hoping this opens things up for Oberheim. Would be great to have an OB version of the Take 5. Something smaller/more portable, less expensive, and able to get the Oberheim sound into more hands.

9 Likes

It will be just that. OB-X/Xa, switchable filters, digital modulation, vintage knob, manufactured through Sequential, with the Oberheim logo on it. And maybe the new Fatar poly aftertouch keyboard on the Iridium Keyboard.

That said, maybe there will be something else down the line. A polysynth with full analog circuitry including the modulation. Which would probably cost something like $10k+ (if TVS prices tell us anything).

1 Like

whatever it is I hope they let someone instead of Dave do a proof listen before releasing it with too many capacitors :wink:
But I do hope Dave slipped in an OD like he did on the OB~6

2 Likes