Novation Summit

Novation btw. is giving away for free a 1000 newly fresh presets for the Peak and Summit, within the next few months.

https://novationmusic.com/peak-summit-presets

2 Likes

Big upset for the Moog One ----I reckon Summit will get you in that league at a fraction of the price

1 Like

Nah not at all dude, Iā€™ve got a Peak and the bottom end is HUGE and it has multiple stages of analog overdrive and distortion, toooooooooooons of gain, and a monster analog filter that you can use to boost whatever frequencies you want. Extremely warm, sharp and clinical, vintage, modern, it can sound however you like. There is no lack of warmth to be sure though.

8 Likes

Alot of people said similar things about the Peak. But as Hawk wrote, its definately not lacking in that department. And combine it with a poly aftertouch keyboard and you are in heaven!

3 Likes

It took me a little while to really understand how the Peak filter responds to different things (and the pre/post filter drive can change things massively) but now it reminds me of the SH-5 filter a lot of the time, the LPF element at least. The way it breaks up and the resonance whistles. A kind of ā€œdryā€ character. But you can make it silky or squelchy as well. Itā€™s remarkably versatile.

5 Likes

Added: Nick does an interesting generative patch using the arpeggiator, setting up different note rhythms on the two parts ā€“ you can listen at 17:00, but he goes throught the set up 40 seconds earlier.

Also: Nick does another interesting thing, using the external input to send a external synth (the Behringer Neutron in this case, good choice!) to the effects processor on the Summit and then adds separate parts from the Summit. Seems complicated but it sounds very nice. Listen starting at 20:55.

2 Likes

I love it, but theres no Sequencerā€¦ Really? How much effort does it take, to programm a sequencer, when an arp with different rythms already exsits?
The synth-splitting into A B is my favourite feature, but without a sequencer it seems worthless to meā€¦ dont want so search for good preset-rythms in the arp all the time

I think people say that because the digital oscillators (thanks @LyingDalai) are perfect, and can sound a bit dry as a result. Perfection works well for some patches, but not well for others. A good solution is to apply drift and diverge in the oscillator menu ā€“ a value of 20 for each is a good place to start for a warm, Moogy sound. I find this goes a surprisingly long way toward creating a warmer sound.

I got this tip from Tim Shoebridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AagC6qGyMw right around the 17:00 mark. Itā€™s a good, if somewhat slow paced, video.

1 Like

No, filters are analog. You meant digital oscillators, right?

Anyway, my Peak doesnā€™t lack warmth, no Sir! :smiley:

4 Likes

It would have been nice having an extra knob to apply ā€imperfectionsā€ to oscillators quickly.

1 Like

You can set something up, so you do have this. On my Peak, i made my own initial patch. I set LFO 2 to S/H with some slew. That way you have a random source thats smooth. And since the LFO 1 and 2 are polyphonic you have a different random for each of the keys you press.

And LFO2 to osc pitch is a ready knob on the panel. So just tweak to taste. You can that way also have more randomness to one of the oscs. I think its better than the Diverge and Drift parameters.

3 Likes

Um, oops, yes. Digital oscillatorsā€¦

But you all know what I mean, I guess: Not the thing I typed but the thing in my headā€¦

1 Like

As you can see by the post by @thomaso there are a lot of ways to get imperfections. So, itā€™s not clear what the knob should do.

Also, the LFO2 S/H trick seems like a clever solution to get imperfections. Iā€™ll give that one a try tonight.

1 Like

For even more randomness, modulate the speed of lfo2 with a SH from lfo1. A lot of options in the Peak.

Does anyone can recommend a polyphonic sequencer, that can handle the 16 voices + A/B-Splitting? Trying to minimize my setup to just the summit and a sequencer, but cant find a good one (the poly-seq of my DT isnā€™t the perfect solution) Thank you ! :slight_smile:

Deluge :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m very close to pulling the trigger on a Novation Summit but iā€™ve been reading on gearslutz that people are having all sort of issues with the keybeds. I know they recalled some for encoder issues but has anyone here used one and noticed the keybed issues?
Iā€™ve heard bad spacing, uneven keys and poor aftertouch with inconsistencies across keys.

Squarp Pyramid?

I got the Squarp Pyramid for this. It worked fine, but found the overall experience not that good on this box. So i went for the Akai Force instead. Force does so much more, but it is a very nice sequencer for midi. Force even records poly aftertouch.

1 Like

hey all

do you know if its possible to save a single patch into a new multi without use of components?