Novation Peak

Not that i am aware of, FM on the filter, is an oscillator modulating the cutoff frequency? Sounds like a nifty feature. Inverting the filter when its getting to squelchy.

For all who are interessedā€¦i have mine now for a few weeks and keep in mind that the Peak is more on the Polyevolver side of Sound and less on the Rolandian Jupiter 6 side like Bass Station 2. It definately has its own fine character. Please delete all presets and judge by your own tweaking. Thank you.

Can all 8 voices be sequenced individually like on the A4? 8 midi channels?

Or can you do some combination by combining 4 voices for chords and sequencing the other 4 as mono synths?

Curious

No itā€™s not multitimbral

1 Like

which is something i complained about in my Superbooth Video some time ago :slight_smile:

Thats the biggest letdown imho - and one of the reasons why i havent sold something yet - to buy this thing one day. 8 voices are often not necessary for a single sound. Its a shame that it doesnt have at least 4 parts like the Nord Lead. For example.

4 Likes

I love this thread and I am really torn between the Peak and the P12 for a premium-quality poly-synth that excels in digital and fm textures. I am researching comparisons as much as I can and would welcome any further thoughts by people who have experience with both

Yeah its tough. The main reason I went for the Peak module over the P12 module was price and knobs. If a good deal comes up on a second hand P12 module i will probably buy it also. So to answer your question buy both haha
Not being multitimbral is not relevant for me personally, as i only work alongside a DAW and always play and record one part at a time anyway. Have multitimbral synths but never use them that way anyway.
Its a personal workflow thing though

1 Like

I was able to update my Peak with a Chromebook. Couldnā€™t be simpler. Just open Components in Chrome, plug in the Peak and it shows up connected like you would expect.

Components is actually pretty cool. You can save patches to your computer as well as to the cloud. After fighting with the Minilogue patch librarian and never actually being able to get it to connect to the Mini, components is a welcome change.

2 Likes

Just expanding more on comparison between Peak and the Prophet 12.
The Peak has 2 LFOā€™s and 3 envelopes (one amp env, the other 2 are assignable).
I am finding I would like more LFOā€™s and envā€™s on the Peak. With 16 mod slots available and all the parameters onboard it would be great to have a few more available for modulation duties.
Just checked the P12 specs and it has 4 LFOā€™s and 4 envelopes.
With synths this powerful these extra modulation sources really come in handy.
P12 for the win there

1 Like

Ah yes good point. Looks like the peak has that "animateā€™ feature that can mix up the assignments a bit during a performance?

1 Like

In all honesty the animate buttons are a gimmick for me. Donā€™t think Iā€™ll bother programming those. Just an on/off switch so very limited

yeh I see that. Although if it is midi controllable via something like digitakt -it might be used for step-sequence based variations I guess?

1 Like

Another Peak patch I made

1 Like

Hey @psyclone001 I went to your awesome soundcloud channel because I have been really inspired by these rhythmic FM patches. I listened to them when I was driving etc then I thought ā€œHey Why donā€™t I see if I can do something similar on the Digitaktā€.

So I used your Peak Patch 2 as inspiration and made this sound file only using digitakt.

My goal was to try to use the same principles you mentioned above - using the stock FM single cycle waveforms with different samples on each trig and the LFO modulates bit depth reduction to give more high frequency variance. the Sub bass is a stock DT sample. also I ran it through the RYTM compressor because you know, why not. Took me about 15 mins. What it really lacks is all that metallic complexity (due to it not being real FM with all those nuances of course) but I still think it captures some of the ā€˜feelā€™ of it at least. Still on the fence about peak v P12 too.

Hey from Adelaide btw!

5 Likes

Hey thanks mate.
Iā€™ve been posting patches only showcasing wavetable FM type patches mainly because I couldnā€™t really find any demos showing this side of the Peak when I was interested in buying it.
Everyone seems to be showcasing the more bread and butter stuff, which it does well, but not what I bought it for personally.
Flattered you had a crack at making something similar on the DT :slight_smile:
I can definitely hear the similarity in the sounds and structure there. Sounds cool.
Yeah you canā€™t expect the DT to quite match a dedicated synth, but cool sounds anyway :grinning:

3 Likes

Hereā€™s another Peak patch I made showing some more FM

5 Likes

Do you think such FM sounds could be make with an A4 or should i buy a Peak ??

1 Like

Been waiting for this vid. Does not disappoint.

10 Likes

Different uses for different people of course. With this many features there are bound to be some that people donā€™t find useful. For me the animate buttons were one of many selling points for me. I was looking at getting a DeepMind 12 over the Peak and the subtle performance options actually swayed me to the Peak (among many other features of course). I just love being able to reach over and trigger a sudden jump in various parameters. Almost like the performance mode on the RYTM. I have been thinking about getting a variable pedal to be able to fade in certain parts to get back that extra control the animates donā€™t offer.

I think I did see the animates in the MIDI control list so yes you should be able to sequence them. Which honestly I didnā€™t think much about till now. This could create a very interesting result when sequenced and you donā€™t need to sequence a ton of different parameters to accomplish that. Just send the one CC and the Peak handles the other details. Good for keeping down MIDI traffic.

4 Likes

I just bought a PEAK. :alien:

3 Likes