Novation Peak

Yeah, you’re right. Also, I think its retail is going to be more like $1299. I was listening to the filter FM and linear FM between the oscillators on a YouTube demo; I really liked what I heard.

Yeah, I actually thought the fm stuff sounded pretty decent. Didn’t seem to have to update lag that the Elektron LFO->fm sometimes seems to suffer from. Only heard it from my phone so far (traveling thru Stockholm and Gothenburg ATM, so Swedish nauts get at me), but it sounded pretty good. I think it’s almost impossible to really tell what a synth is going to sound like in your studio and under your control from a YouTube video, but I really love the current trend of digi osc and analog signal path that is emerging. Elektron, you gotta jump on this trend​:kissing_heart::heart_eyes_cat::ok_hand:

1 Like

best vid so far …

9 Likes

that’s like saying you don’t see the need for 8 filters when they could have just built 1.

Modular and CV gear are booming right now and it’s a huge oversight to skimp on CV inputs for a sound modules that doesn’t have a keyboard or a built in step sequencer.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t get it. 8 voice synth that doesn’t have multi timbral? I guess you can do 8 note cords if you want.

You gotta squeeze all that distortion, filters and voices through 1 stereo out. I don’t get it? All that fire power and a serious lack of I/O.

3 Likes

It’s monotimbral and limited to 8 voices though. It doesn’t make any sense for it to have multiple outputs. It does have awesome sounding voice spreading options from a description I heard. That reverb is the best sounding reverb I’ve heard on a synth.

As a novice, I wonder how Peak is compared to Analog Four. Obviously Peak has less menu diving and more voices. What else are the main differences?

I like in a4 to have the choice from what i do with my 4 voice
You probably CANT have 8 tracks mono on the peak obviously so…

Maybe splitting keyboard with the voices and different patches…

Its monotimbral so probably not possible.

For all those folk bemoaning the lack of CV Pitch/Gate-In on a poly synth … which other poly synths (especially monotimbral ones) have this !?!

1 Like

this is an ‘odd one’ , which I like :slight_smile:

a year a go, we probably would have bitten their hands off for this, but now with a few analogue polys around and cheaper prices, its less clear - as 1400 euro is probably not what we expect from novation.

yet, on the flip side, I’m excited to see a genuinely new approach , using an fpga to get really high resolution oscillators feeding into analogue circuitry, so we can get wavetables, and also morphable waves, BUT it seems only 17 wavetables, and none so far I’ve heard have been particularly great, to make the case for digital oscillators, I think you have to have many more options (flexibility is the ‘sales pitch’)

… and yeah, the ‘lo res’ stepped encoders seem wrong for analogue controls, where tiny movements might open up some sweets spots.

I’m still eager to hear more, but I fear Novation have got it a bit wrong here, a bit pricey for something that whilst different, perhaps is not quite different enough.
this is where I agree about the Waldorf, sure its pricey, but it genuinely seems to deliver on something very new.

anyway, good news is… I’m sure there will be more on the way, perhaps we are starting to see the move away from ‘it has to be analogue’ , to a hybrid, take the best of whatever technology to make the best sound possible.

3 Likes

I am pretty conflicted by this one, I love my bass station 2 and want to like this one, but the price point and sounds don’t really do it for me.
I would rathe that deep mind 6 or even a blofeld again over this one, although my mind could easily be changed.

crickey! thanks, just realized why my KArp Ody stopped responding to duophonic key input (switched to using CV instead of MIDI, duh!)

1 Like

Contrary to what some seem to think this seems like it’s not “just another VA synth”. The oscillators are based on FPGAs which is probably the first ever desktop synth of that nature, plus the converters seem to feature some extreme up sampling. That’s pretty forward thinking. They are going the completely opposite direction of other manufacturers that use arduino based stuff or even embedded Windows and such.

My comment wrt “just another VA” was aimed at the UI paradigm and features. I am sure the sonics will be an improvement over old VAs.

This thing just seems like so much fun. The third oscillator is hard wired to modulate the filter and the depth knob is right there next to the cutoff. I would have a blast just playing with a sine wave while modulating it and the filter with all the different types of waveforms modulated in all types of ways from the third osc. With post and pre filter overdrive, there will be many combinations for dirtying up the sound subtly. I wish there was feedback and a bit-reducer though. Modulating the drive levels will be awesome I bet. The layout looks great; very clear.

Interesting and great sounding synth … yes … but I have the impression that it is something I have already as plug-in synth and that there is not a new idea under the hood … soundwise. Reminds me a bit of NI Massive, but with less features and analogue filter circuits … :thinking:

It would have been a killer if user waveforms or user wavetables could be imported :wink:

It is nowhere mentioned wether it is multi timbral so i guess it is not??

Novation told me over on facebook, monotimbral and no audio in.

1 Like