Novation // Circuit

It does receive clock and stop/start messages via DIN but does not receive or send CC via DIN, only USB. [/quote]
Circuit sends CC# data and receives it over the MIDI in/out (using both mini jack and the 5 pin DIN adapter) but if you want recorded automation, that’s sent out over USB.
Automation from the USB also works with a Kenton USB host to MIDI converter and the new Bomebox so no computer is necessary… if you don’t want that kind of thing of course.
[/quote]
Thanks. So if I’m understanding you both, I can plug a midi cable into the Circuit from the Octatrack. From the OT I can send midi sync start stop and tempo commands and the circuit will start playing in time just like my AR and A4 does when I sync them to my OT or each other.

Also with the same midi cable, I can go into the midi tracks on the OT and assign a midi channel which the Circuit will recognize. From there, I can assign some CC numbers on the OT and the Circuit will react when I twist knobs on the OT?

Sorry if I’m being dense, I tried following similar suggestions for setting up the Launch Control XL with my OT via midi and no computer via a Kenton usb midi box and it didn’t work. I ended up returning the LCXL. I’m interested but skeptical. [/quote]
Hey
Yes that’s right Circuit start/stop//sync is all possible over the MIDI connections just hook it up and it works.

That’s a great idea… As you say, you could easily add extra control of Circuit by setting up the relevant MIDI Channel on an OT MIDI track and mapping the CCs you can also use Plocks this way to add extra control over Circuit. I’ve just quickly tried it out and it works wonderfully! A few trigless trigs and it’s like opening up a new instrument yet again!
I don’t think there is a table of CC# parameters available yet but hopefully there will be soon.

Theres a dedicated MIDI Set-up page on Circuit (turn on while holding the shift button) and this lets you turn on NOTE/CC# send and receive plus sync/clock send and receive so you can set it up how you like.

As I mentioned the only thing not sent out of the Circuit MIDI output is the automation data, that is sent out of the USB output.

Sorry to hear about your problems with the LCXL, I’ve been using it for a good while now and it has been totally solid for me. It really opens up the OT’s engine in a really useful way too. I’d be interested to hear what problems you had.

In this video Circuit is synched via MIDI with the rest of the boxes and the LCXL is also controlling the OT.

Damn _____! That’s all you had to say!

I’m stoked now. Thanks for the information.

sounds great. Cheers :+1:

Having had mine for about a week there are a few things I hope get updated in the future:

Drum sequencer to allow different sounds per step, and step lengths other than 16 or multiples of. The ability to change the drum samples via an app would be great too although not sure if that is possible.

I’d also like to be able to load different synth sounds from the nova library, and set the macros myself again by an app.

Battery life is a bit short, maybe some kind of power save mode where the LEDs can be dimmed.

Still, even if Novation do not update it further nothing much to moan about, fun little box.

I did this way. I used one midi cable - Midi out from OT to In in Circuit. When setting up the midi tracks, it only allows me to use the the 2 synths, I cannot seem to access a channel that has the drums . On channel 1 in there is synth 1, and on channel 2 there is synth 2. I tried all the other channels but i could hear nothing.

Is it possible to sequence any drums from Circuit with the OT ? What channel works?

Can I change a Circuit synth patch from the OT?
Thanks !

channel 10?

@calc I have an OT and reading this thread you mentioned you were using I think a launchpad with the OT, to do this are you using some kind of intermediate device to connect them?

I tried all the channels(i knew about channel 10), but nope. No sound.

I dsicovered How it works. It has to be channel 10 but the kick snares etc are arranged in notes. You have to Choose C4 to make the kick live and further up the octave you have the snare and hats

The midi implementation.
FX will take one midi track on channel 16.
Here you can add reverb and delay
Beware, in the midi implrementation i found the values for reverb and delay are exactly the opposite of how it should be. Reverb goes to CC#88 on channel 16. The delay is activated by CC#111.

It is absolutely beautiful. It works well.

2 Likes

well yeah that’s not specific to circuit. If you have channel 10 communication on any machine, each voice will respond to a midi note.

is it possible to change the midi output channels?

Calc,

Another day another country is brilliant. I would buy that. Will definitely check out your other stuff.

Nice one

Hank

Calc,

Seriously can I buy your tunes anywhere? Just heard listened to your soundcloud page and would love to feed some of your tracks into the octatrack.

Hank

Hey Nice one Hank thanks a lot!!
Apart from a release last year which is on iTunes I don’t really have anywhere I’m selling my music. If you wanted, I’m more than happy to dropbox some of my tunes to you. PM me and I’ll send you a link.
Thanks again… that’s made my day :joy:
-CALC-

Hey pb21,
That was the Launch Control XL with the OT and I was using the Kenton USB Host to MIDI converter.
If you’re interested in it we did a little article at Novation on it here

The same would work with the Launchpad too although I think it would be better with the Launchpad Pro which already has a MIDI out built in.

LCXL definitely brings a ton of additional control to the OT and really opens it up.

Cheers
-CALC-

I’d like to be able to use my Circuit for some Octatrack control at some point. I hope it gets opened up enough to be able to do some hacks on the control side like this.

I would be nice to “play” the Circuit, and hop into a “control” mode for other things.

New editor allows you to go DEEP into the Circuit

We all agreed that we wanted to unlock the potential behind the Circuit and develop an Editor that would allow the user to fine tune or completely reshape the onboard sounds. Novation began by developing the latest firmware based on our requests, then we set about providing bi-directional feedback from the unit to the Editor, the advantage of being able to edit the Factory Settings and save them back to session slots was soon surpassed with the ability to overwrite the patches stored in the Circuits ROM. You got two Nova Synths and a bank of 64 patches to play with so that should be plenty!

Virtually every element of each Synth is editable. You can adjust every parameter in realtime and play the results on the Circuit, tweaking everything imaginable from the Oscillators and LFO’s to the Chorus and Distortion settings. As part of the Circuits’ attraction is the 8 macro dials (which can be mapped to up to four parameters each) we’ve given you the ability to re-define what they’ll modulate when you perform Live!

1 Like

kinda lame you need ableton and max to use it :confused:

You don’t need Ableton - it runs standalone as a .app or .exe with Max 7 free