Novation // Circuit

This made me pre-order one… Now I have to wait a couple of days, its not available yet here.

A couple of month ago I was thinking how it would be awesome that my launchpad or PUSH had an soundmodule in it and will be standalone… Haha… Did not know that Novation was thinking that too :joy:

I’d be in if it could sample, or play samples. Not too impressed by the sound, but I’m sure someone here will do a cool demo with it and prove me wrong!

Yeah I agree so far the sound of it is underwhelming. Seems likely due to the limited tweakability of the synths etc. I really like the idea of it. A sampler version would be great like you say.
Real pads/knobs is always nice but from what I’ve heard so far there isn’t quite enough there for me that isn’t possible on Ipad if I want portability. Pads/knobs are tempting tho and interested to see some more demos on the workflow/features…

Novation did a hell of a job with the workflow of Circuit, it’s ridiculously fun to sketch on it. No screens, no menus, no two hundred page manual :slight_smile:

Think of it as Push Jr., minus the computer. I quite like not knowing what parameters I’m adjusting, kind of reminds me of the OP-1. I mean on that thing you’re tweaking a cow’s arse, a boxing glove, a shift lever, etc… Kind of takes my mind off obsessive sound tweaking and refocuses me on the composition.

So far I really like it.

Haha, so true regarding the OP-1! So this Novation thing is similar in that way?

I asked Novation if their USB spec works with a USB MIDI host (Kenton, iConnectivity), and their response was to the effect of “well, you know it has a DIN MIDI out jack, right?”

Of course I know. If that jack functioned as it should (allowing for CC# automation data to go through), I wouldn’t be looking for a workaround.

1 Like

Haha, so true regarding the OP-1! So this Novation thing is similar in that way?[/quote]
Yep. It’s a unique but intuitive writing experience, I caught on pretty quick. I’ve actually found that I really like programming melodic sequences with the sequencer stopped, then pressing play and seeing what it sounds like. You can do per-step automation and input chords, velocity, gate time, etc in this fashion. It’s wicked fun. When you press a step, you hear the note(s) and parameters on that step.
One thing that I have found to be a LOT of fun is shortening a synth pattern to like 7 steps, then using the nudge feature to shift the pattern around in real time. This creates a lot of interesting variations on the original melody. It’s even more fun if you get a ton of automation going, I found a couple patches that lend themselves to creating rhythmic sequences by automating noise, HPF, etc.
It would be really cool if Novation worked out a way to stop the sequencer for individual tracks (kind of like a stop clip button in Ableton) and then be able to trigger the individual pattern steps manually.

1 Like

So, let’s say I have the Circuit hooked up to my Bass Station 2 via midi cable.
Can I send BS2 notes and sequenced Midi CC# data as well (a’la Elektron style midi output parameter locks)?[/quote]
You can send note and CC data from the MIDI outs. The recorded automation data is currently only sent out from the USB. [/quote]
Thanks,
So then, is it driver-less, class compliant USB MIDI, of the sort that would work with Kenton USB Midi host (or iConnectMidi4+) to translate the USB MIDI into DIN MIDI?

The Novation Circuit downloads page shows a driver for Windows only, which is a good sign for such adapted functionality. I’m crossing my fingers.[/quote]
Hey AdamJay,
Back in the UK now after a monster overseas tour of duty.
Just tested as you suggested above and yep Circuit’s firing the CC# automation out of the USB port to my other DIN MIDI synths via a Kenton USB MIDI host… like a good un. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, let’s say I have the Circuit hooked up to my Bass Station 2 via midi cable.
Can I send BS2 notes and sequenced Midi CC# data as well (a’la Elektron style midi output parameter locks)?[/quote]
You can send note and CC data from the MIDI outs. The recorded automation data is currently only sent out from the USB. [/quote]
Thanks,
So then, is it driver-less, class compliant USB MIDI, of the sort that would work with Kenton USB Midi host (or iConnectMidi4+) to translate the USB MIDI into DIN MIDI?

The Novation Circuit downloads page shows a driver for Windows only, which is a good sign for such adapted functionality. I’m crossing my fingers.[/quote]
Hey AdamJay,
Back in the UK now after a monster overseas tour of duty.
Just tested as you suggested above and yep Circuit’s firing the CC# automation out of the USB port to my other DIN MIDI synths via a Kenton USB MIDI host… like a good un. :slight_smile: [/quote]
Cheers for that! Thanks for taking the time to test.
Well then, this looks like a wonderous CC# sequencing option.
8 CC#s per step x 3 tracks is a great specification for external gear, even after the modest cost of the added Kenton host.
Looking forward to getting my hands on one.

Here’s what it’s outputting (via USB):

All of it can be automated except the filter, and possibly the Mixer (haven’t tested this.)

1 Like

Got mine yesterday, surprised by how much mileage there appears to be in the synth sounds, they did a good job of allowing a lot of variation with just 8 parameters.

The sequencer is pretty cool too, I’d like it better if the drum tracks could do other lengths like the synth parts.

I hope they bring out an ios or desktop app for editing things like sounds to load in, fx settings and changing the drum samples, but still as it is, it’s a great fun machine

For the price it is a great buy, they could probably have charged 100 more and got away with it, great idea pad and perfectly useable in itself too.

Love love love all these battery powered couch jammers!

Could this also become a nice controller for Elektron boxes since it has proper MIDI output? Does it have a programmable controller mode for standalone operation?

Don’t think it would be incredibly useful apart maybe from sending notes to the A4. It doesn’t send MIDI CC over DIN, only USB. And it doesn’t currently have anything like the user modes on a Launchpad. I think the best use for it at the moment is either as intended (standalone groovebox / sketchpad) or as a sequencer for a synth or two. (fixed to Ch 1/2 synth, Ch. 10 C3/D3/E3/F3 for drums.) I could see it pairing nicely with a Nord Drum. My biggest beef is the fairly limited drum sounds. (most are x0x stuff which I am sick to death of.)

1 Like

How does it fit as an add-on to the elektrons? Say you want a playable synth to go along with the OT and AR for example. Can you program chords from your existing tracks easily enough? Or are you limited in some way to specific scales/notes?

:’(

Can you send CC message and note data TO the Circuit from the OT? And does the Circuit receive midi sync?

It does receive clock and stop/start messages via DIN but does not receive or send CC via DIN, only USB.

See what you think…

It does receive clock and stop/start messages via DIN but does not receive or send CC via DIN, only USB. [/quote]
Circuit sends CC# data and receives it over the MIDI in/out (using both mini jack and the 5 pin DIN adapter) but if you want recorded automation, that’s sent out over USB.
Automation from the USB also works with a Kenton USB host to MIDI converter and the new Bomebox so no computer is necessary… if you don’t want that kind of thing of course.

It does receive clock and stop/start messages via DIN but does not receive or send CC via DIN, only USB. [/quote]
Circuit sends CC# data and receives it over the MIDI in/out (using both mini jack and the 5 pin DIN adapter) but if you want recorded automation, that’s sent out over USB.
Automation from the USB also works with a Kenton USB host to MIDI converter and the new Bomebox so no computer is necessary… if you don’t want that kind of thing of course.
[/quote]
Thanks. So if I’m understanding you both, I can plug a midi cable into the Circuit from the Octatrack. From the OT I can send midi sync start stop and tempo commands and the circuit will start playing in time just like my AR and A4 does when I sync them to my OT or each other.

Also with the same midi cable, I can go into the midi tracks on the OT and assign a midi channel which the Circuit will recognize. From there, I can assign some CC numbers on the OT and the Circuit will react when I twist knobs on the OT?

Sorry if I’m being dense, I tried following similar suggestions for setting up the Launch Control XL with my OT via midi and no computer via a Kenton usb midi box and it didn’t work. I ended up returning the LCXL. I’m interested but skeptical.