Novation Circuit Rhythm and Circuit Tracks

If it’s like OG Circuit, they are poly up to 6 voices, plus there are drum tracks and midi tracks. Since there are inputs, we might be able to monitor / effect external synths sequenced by the Circuit. Not too bad.

Interestingly, it’s at a similar price point as M:S was when it first dropped, maybe only 16€ more. This was before Elektron dropped the price $100.

But the Circuit R adds sampling input and SD, which is probably worth it for most folks.
I agree that operating such a device without a screen comes with challenges. But it does have its charms (op-z anyone?)

It’s cool to see so many affordable sample playback, battery power able groove boxes coming out.
Reminds me of the Boss vs Alesis days.

And they all have their own unique features.
M:S has the Elektron sequencer and knobby interface
TR-6s has the SD card, and Roland ACB
Circuit Rhythm has the Circuit workflow, external input sampling, and 8 tracks.

Pick your poison!

Any of these are great partners to an Octatrack :wink:

4 Likes

What is the SP-202? Chopped liver? You use your ears, get good at being frustrated, and start venerating irregular timing.

Yeah I hate it when this point is made. It’s like asserting that a burrito is a sandwich. People know why they want actual screens. If I wanted a pollo asado super burrito but can only afford an egg salad sandwich you can understand why I might be disappointed despite identitle utility and physical interaction.

Also, if you were working at a store and someone came in asking for a display screen, would you sell them a keyboard? Or would you sell someone an iPad when they asked for a keyboard? No.

Deluge and Circuit are well designed and I see their appeal. Their grid of buttons is not a screen.

/rant

3 Likes

Between people at the shop checkout for sure

8 Likes

I wish Novation wouldn’t have used labels or colors on the devices. If I’m going for the true screen-less, ears-only experience, I don’t want labels and other navigation hints.

2 Likes

I know you are joking, but design consideration for the blind is a noble endeavor that would undoubtedly benefit the sighted as well.

The principle of user discovery can be quite powerful. Indeed I think many people come to love turning knobs long before they know what they do.

2 Likes

Interesting direction. Several years ago, I started getting back into HW and groove boxes, and the Circuit was my first new purchase.

If these new models had existed, I’m sure it would have taken me longer to migrate away, but I still believe I eventually would have landed on my DT/DN/CMS/MM2 setup.

Curious if they have updated the Nova synth engines.

2 Likes

I think the devil is gonna be in the details.

How many patterns, how much sampling time total / per sample? What are the FX like?

My problem with the original circuit was similar to my problem with the Model:Cycles, after a few months it becomes difficult to escape the inherent sound and timbre of the particular device.
So a full 8 track sampling Circuit could be a good way to break free of that. 100% sample playback has kept my M:S in use.

And we know Novation will continue development on it, as well. Their track record is among the best in that regard.

Also, probability is great to see on it! No idea why Roland put it on the TR-06 but not the TR-6S. Maybe this will force Roland’s hand to add a thing or two to the TR-6S.

2 Likes

I’m curious about the powering solution. As un-eco-friendly as the AA battery option was… I liked being able to take my Circuit anywhere and not even have to worry about a battery pack. Maybe (maybe) these will feature rechargeable batteries? It might be part of the reason they are priced higher than the original Circuit? Pure speculation, but I would be very pleased if it were the case.

I feel that way about the M:C hi hats after 1 day. I’m still keeping it because I love the tone machine, but the high hats are gonna come from a different device.

Could that different device be a Circuit Rhythm? The devil is definitely in the details, but I like the SD card slot already.

If you get both, the Rhythm and the Tracks and sync them together you can make entire songs basically in no time. You get in total 2 synth polyphonic tracks, 4 drum tracks, and additionally 8 drum/sample tracks capable to record melodies alongside with the one shot samples and drum sounds.

The biggest question in my opinion is the sound engine of the Circuit Track, because if it has the same sound engine as the previous model, then no, thanks no!
In the end I won’t resist, and I will get the Rhythm though.

Maybe with sample trimming via knobs and using your ears. The Deluge also has no screen, but the numbers on the LED display change when you trim.

competitive with what?
Circuit never claimed to be jack of all trades. it’s the live/jam machine known for its very immediate workflow, and it’s still pretty hard to compete with it in this field.

2 Likes

deluge displays waveform on the button grid, and is quite useable that way.
Dunno how they would do that on those few buttons.

Dunno, if I really need another sampler, but if they updated the Sound-Engine on the Track I might be in the boat as travel-groove-box! Together with something like a Micromomsta the 2 midi tracks would be awesome, should be able to do a lot with 4 synth tracks and 4 (sound lockable) drum tracks.

We’re in 2021 not in 2015 when the Circuit appeared on the market, now the new Circuit Track has to compete with the Model Samples/Cycles, and the Roland MC 101/Tr6s. With only 2 synth tracks and no screen in 2021 I think the Circuit Track will be appealing only to a niche market.

1 Like

It’s probaply about the whole package, 2 synths (polyphonic I guess), 2 midi tracks for external gear and 4 drum tracks with small footprint.

Depends on what the midi tracks can do (polyphony, CC/PC?) and how the workflow is…but I can see this appealing to many people.

2 Likes

Indeed!
On my MS I never use more than 2 synth sounds. Same on Octatrack.

That’s just an anecdote but I don’t think people who are really into synthesis and want more synth tracks are the target audience for this product. It’s a groove box, after all.

4 Likes

The ins and outs look good on the sampler, but lack of screen is no bueno. Probably means they expect you to use your phone or get lost/get gud like OPZ.

1 Like

I do not need another sampler.

10 Likes

This.
How is that Slice button going to work? What will the 1-16/17-32 button do? Will there be audio over USB? Lots of interesting potential…