Not feeling the mk2 design aesthetic

I like all three iterations of elektron hardware styling.
They each have their charms.

As an owner of 5 original size elektron boxes, I can’t personally see any practical or aesthetic argument to get the new mk2’s unless being greedy and building a separate setup (or if they release a full blown digital synth MM successor in that format with dozens of synth machines to explore like the good old silver box days).

I am glad the mk1’s aren’t made redundant and contain 90-100% of the features still, as well a being proven and reliable. I also like the tighter dimensions, a real plus.

Would I kick a mk2 out of bed for imitating a Trainspotting movie scene though? Unlikely.

Fwiw, the OT MK 2 chassis is exactly the same size as the Mk1. Have owned both, and both fit in the same stand without alteration.

Yes the DT looks best imo. AR & A4 mk2 are stupidly big. And dont know what the hell the mk2s are grey?!?!?!?!

I Like them big!

So I remember reading that part of the idea behind the redesign was to make the machines more playable in a live environment.
Things like labels on the buttons, the LEDs underneath the buttons which also illuminate said labels, the oled screen with greater viewing angle and better clarity than the lcds, Buttons slightly more spaced out.
These things really are helpful in the dimly lit environment often found onstage.

So I think the new machines merge function and form well. Just wish they new colors were a bit darker. With exposure to environment whites and light greys don’t always look the same 10 years down the line.

3 Likes

I have carry bags, covers, desks all bought around the mk1 design, so no, won’t be buying into mk2 for a very long time if at all. Glad they kept OT mk2 the same size, gives me 1 upgrade option but don’t really need it.

1 Like

Oh I’d be pissed if they busted out black better sell some shells

I understand the mk1 vs mk2 discussion, but I think the elephant in the room, is the fact, that the silver boxes looks so much better, than anything made after… IM(H)O… :wink:

My silver MD will look like this soon !
https://www.elektronauts.com/uploads/default/original/2X/3/346bbe958deb9881c0d03c4192b1662f13722e80.jpg

I even painted my grey QY100 ! :smile:

1 Like

The new color scheme for the MKII is freaking sexy. I like how it makes the new ones feel futuristic, and makes the older ones feel ‘classic’ rather than old/ugly. I like both, but prefer the new one by far.

The Digitakt color scheme is sort of on its own. It’s not really like the old, nor the new. And I really appreciate that, since it does feel like its from a different lineage if that makes any sense. Like the users of the Digitakt, are different than the users of the A4/Rytm but the OT is a bridge of those, hence its new and old at the same time.

My least favorite is the Digitone. The colored squares look a bit off to me. The keyboard/small buttons doesnt look as smooth as the Digitakt squares, which really look iconic.

2 Likes

Arrrggghhhh…!!! You’re hurting my eyes and my soul! :scream: And to MD - the prettiest of the two… I need to lie down… :yum:

But hey, congrats, looks cool… Just not as cool. To me :slight_smile:

1 Like

These new MKIIs don’t match my curtains, or my soul (dark, overcast) = they’re shit. The “improved” ergonomic layout is cramping my style. They’re an eyesore, but I’ll still collect them all at once.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

I heard it’s a few MM bigger and the lid doesn’t fit.

That statement does not apply to my OT MK2/PL-2 lid.

I think all of the mkII’s look pretty cool, though I wish they would have all had the OT2 colors.

1 Like

The only MK2 I own is the OT and I love the colors and layout. Much easier to read than my MK1 Rytm. I would buy an MK2 Rytm if it wasn’t for the increase in size.

Yep, the size increase is my chief complaint. I don’t really have a problem with the color, and while I’ve complained about some of the button icons, it is a minor quibble at best. Certainly wouldn’t keep me from getting them.

All of the improvements are great on the mark 2s.

2d

However…the whole thread is about First world Problems…

1 Like

Its a forum about first world problems, what did you expect? Peace for syria brought to you by Elektron instrument users?

4 Likes