Not feeling the mk2 design aesthetic

I’d definitely like to see some black mkII’s!

2 Likes

FYI - I’m definitely PRO Mark 2 - I love the look and feel.

That’s cool. I am referring really to how early thinkpads drew their design from japanese bento boxes. I like in general how simple the box shape is, and I think the mk1 series as well as the MD and MM follow it pretty well.

I’m not suggesting that this was a purposed or concious design choice on the part of Elektron.

2d

1 Like

whatever it lacks in apperance the mk2 units make up with overall feel and ergonomics. I’ll gladly have something a bit larger for better usability. The new mechanical switch keys and metal shafts on the pots make a huuuuuuuge difference. My digitakt feels way nicer to bang on then my OT. The temptations are real for mk2 upgrades :smiling_imp:

that said, there’s something really nice about md/mnm/ot/a4/ar/dt all sitting side by side flush, and i love how the older designs are rackmountable.

3 Likes

What I like is that the OT mk2 fits perfectly to the Color and size of the Virus ti2 desktop! But i prefer the size of the old units too. The dark trinity is unbeatable! Hope the don’t introduce new sizes in future products. But in the end, the sound and features are the important.

I prefer the look of the elektron gear over the Moog Model D style. To much wood on a synth, looks like tech from the last century.

Really like the style of the Novation Peak or the Virus ti1 Darkstar.

Not a fan of knobs who are also buttons. I always have the feeling I going to destroy my Elektron knobs when i need to press those down. But the knobs/encoders of the OT mk2 are fast but still very precise, much better as the encoders from the A4 mk1!

The new form factor is for me a big improvement in ergonomics and also in a aesthetic way.
Wish there was a Digitone with the new form factor.

I like the design aesthetic of the DN/DT best

4 Likes

Especially together. The two Digis plus a black keystep is a beautiful setup.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been hunting for a black Keystep ever since the DN was announced, but have had zero luck. 2 DN’s should look nice too :grin:

2 Likes

I like both really, some things I prefer on the mk1 are the shape of the case, round buttons, with separate LEDs above. On the mkII the panels look clearer and the ergonomics look a bit better with more controls. The oled screens look nicer initially but don’t last anywhere near as long as LCDs and of course they suffer burn in and uneven patches after a while. I do think the AR and A4 look better in mkI, OT looks better in mkII IMHO. (Just wish it had round trig buttons)

I guess I need to see and play one to really have a decision, but from the pics I would prefer to not have that extra 1/2 inch or so around the entire perimeter, and nudge everything ever so slightly closer so it would just be slightly bigger than the mk1’s…

There’s probably some reason that they’re bigger, less noise for OB or something, more desktop suited, I don’t know… But for me it’s enough difference to be a consideration of whether I would use one or not… Need to see one in person some time…

I’m not a huge fan of the new light colors either, reminds me of Christmas…
If I played one and there were enough other things I like better, I’d probably let the above slide…

At first I didn’t like the MKII’s.
After watching that first Cuckoo video of the A4MKII, it quickly grew on me.
I like the less cluttered look and low contrast printing in the right places.
The clinical look of the grey started to grow on me, like some cool spaceship control panel.
It would be cool to see a black version though, or really dark grey.
The only thing I’m not crazy about, are how flashy the triggers are.
It’s like a wacky DJ light rig when it gets going.

The new size choice is really strange.
I can understand if they added 8 more knobs or something, but it’s basically exactly the same interface.
Much too much wasted space and totally unnecessary.
They needed to change the interface to justify the extra real estate imo

1 Like

I only think MK2 is might be looks good with my grey SH101 and that’s all. :grinning:

Design is design - we came here for the music, guys.

All of their old boxes are off the shelf cases anybody can buy (I actually found the exact boxes they use for Octatrack through a manufacturer).
They then had them CNC routed, powder coated, screen printed and assembled.

Now that they are becoming a “big boy” company they probably really had the desire to make their own custom case design manufactured to their own specifications. This makes their instruments and cases 100% unique and unlike anything else.

From a designer perspective these new cases probably feel more like they made “everything” now.

There is also ergonomics, and being able to grab the things and move them easier (handle like sides?)

Also, how could you release an MkII that looked exactly the same?

1 Like

I never liked the black “Braun” design…

I am Happy they did the MK2 Design. For me in every aspect, much better.
The Digi series Design is derived from both and was also done very well!

What i noticed is that all Units now Share certain Icons for settings and stuff. Its now much easier to Switch between the machines and dont have to learn everything completely new.

3 Likes

When I first saw Teenage Engineering OP-1, the word “toy” came up to my mind.
Not that it’s a problem, to play music…
But I needed the Tape feature at that time, so I got a cheap one.
It’s only after spending time with it that I really figured the coherence of the design.

Back to Elektron, I was really reluctant to get rid of the Analog series. I’ve loved playing on this instruments so much. But it’s more the pleasure I had playing on these that make them beautiful to my eyes. And the sound I can get from them.

So when I learned that OT mk2 had improvements soundwise, there was no hesitation.

When A4 mk2 came out, I was slightly regretting the form factor only because I can’t conveniently put 2 analog mk2 in a Thomann Producer bag.
This, and the fact that Elektron didn’t choose to place the trigs as two rows.

But for me the pleasure I get while playing comes first, it is even what I really consider the beauty of an instrument, and it rassemble in my mind both the quality of the sound and the ease to express yourself.

When someone says a Stradivarius is beautiful, I do believe it’s what they have in mind. Picture a Stradivarius with a crappy sound or one that is extremely difficult to play right (even for an accomplished violinist) and I guess the beauty of the instrument would fade a bit in your mind.

So I got the mk2.
And in my mind A4 mk2 has become more beautiful than the mk1, now that I have spent some time with it. Damn, tonight I even dreamed I was dialing insane sounds with a feedback osc !!!
:smiley:
A4 mk2 gives me a lot of pleasure while playing, both soundwise and from its interface. And that’s the beauty of it in my eye.

3 Likes

I do not question the sound the mark 2 models are capable of. I’ve watched all the videos and I know there are improvements. I applaud all of that.

No, this is just an aesthetic discussion. Not even really workflow related.

The biggest problem I have outside of aesthetics is just the amount of wasted space. It is one of my favorite things about the mark 1s. I loved how the boxes were relaltively small, but housed so much potential. It was an engineering feat and it certianly appealed to me.

The mark 2s by themselves and without the mark 1s in the background are not ugly, but their size would be a big turn off to me. That said I’ll be rocking the a4 and rytm mk1s until they die, or Elektron iterates again. They are fantastic boxes all by themselves.

Octa mk2 is going to happen though. Those balanaced in’s are great.

2d

1 Like

I agree with the OP. I really dig the design of the Mk1s. And the OT2, which might not be an improvement with regards to functionality, but it is a huge upgrade aesthetically IMO. Bright flashing lights, different LED colours, the OLED screen, and I love the new paint job. I remember when the flight attendant would ask you if you want to take a look inside the cockpit. It was night time and you would see all these kinds of buttons, levers and screens. This gives me that same vibe :slight_smile:

I’ll just say that the MK1s were pretty but the MKIIs are pretty sweet with that finish and the backlighting. It looks sweet in the dark… keep the light on.

2 Likes