Nord Modular G2

Been having some GAS on this one. Been looking to go beyond subtractive synthesis and am looking at going against the current analog trend and venture back into digital.

Anyone has experience with this synth and willing to share their experiences?

They don’t come around too often, how much are they worth nowadays?

Are there any other options that I should be looking at?

Sonic Core Modular IV is fantastic, but then you are stuck in front of the computer when using it.

Axoloti perhaps? Not the same either, but looks like it will be lots of fun.

EDIT: The concept of the Nord Modulars appeal to me as well, but isn’t there compatability issues with newer OS’es?

That’s what I’ve heard. Also there’s no mac support. That’s why I never bothered with it. It seems obsolete and unusable.

Not sure if this is on topic and dependant on if you use ableton, I’ve been using maxforcats oscillot with my octotrack with great results almost like the Nord?
The octotrack does all the,sequencing and midi with the sound going out of the computer through the OT. Thesoftware has continually been updated and the support pretty good. I can set up my own patches, super flexible and it sounds incredible at the same time, but I guess you need a computer?

That’s what I’ve heard. Also there’s no mac support. That’s why I never bothered with it. It seems obsolete and unusable. [/quote]
I think it’s the older version G1 and micro modular that have the comparability issue.

1 Like

I love mine, but I will be dabbling with Axoloti and have begun a long, slow transition to Max on OS X.

That’s what I’ve heard. Also there’s no mac support. That’s why I never bothered with it. It seems obsolete and unusable. [/quote]
I think it’s the older version G1 and micro modular that have the comparability issue.[/quote]
No issues whatsoever with Wine - piece of cake to run the windows executable seamlessly like a native mac app
g2 with buttons/knobs/keys would be fantastic as the platform evolved some extra bells and whistles, but many still prefer the sound character of the g1 series which i can attest to being insanely powerful
‘obsolete and unusable’ it ain’t !

1 Like

I think it’s the older version G1 and micro modular that have the comparability issue.[/quote]
No issues whatsoever with Wine - piece of cake to run the windows executable seamlessly like a native mac app
g2 with buttons/knobs/keys would be fantastic as the platform evolved some extra bells and whistles, but many still prefer the sound character of the g1 series which i can attest to being insanely powerful
‘obsolete and unusable’ it ain’t !
[/quote]
good to know. i always loved how these boxes sound.

G2 powerfull synth, great FM options, very soft sounding… G1 sounds a lot better but less powerfull

I have both Modular , A g2 key and a G1 rack.
The G2 is a little more hi-fi sounding than the G1 but it is not more “soft sounding” or worse than the G1, just different.

I have made a comparaison of both Nord Modular playing approximately the same patch : https://soundcloud.com/sovietpop-1/nord-modular-g1-vs-nord-modular-g2-new-file

The G2 is still compatible with the latest version of Windows (10) and OSX (El capitan) so compatibility is not an issue and its going to be fine for a while.

For the G1 under OSX you can use Wine (works very well) or a virtual machine.

Back to the G2.
Its a Wonderfull instrument, everything is well thought , the workflow is superbe and the interface is a work of genius imo.

The G2 is one of the most powerful and deep hardware synths ever created.
I have made custom sequencer with it to sequence my other gears when playing live. I have made some weird digital fx , synth etc.
Its a performer instrument, you can even sequence different variations of the same patch , crazy stuff.

Personally i would not buy the Engine version because you are missing too much. Get the G2 key or a second hand G1.

2 Likes

Expanded G2 keys here (no problems on latest OSX). It’s the one piece of gear I would never sell. As others have said, the interface is near perfect and it’s my main controller even though the key bed isn’t the best. I’ve got 12u of eurorack but the G2 gets as much if not more attention. I’ve even considered buying a second one as a backup. Axoloti does look interesting as well and I have one on the way but again, the interface on the G2 is a large part of the appeal.

1 Like

Also waiting for the Axoloti but yeah , the interface is near perfect and i dont think we ever gonna see something like the Nord Mod G2 in the future.

1 Like

Thanks for your inputs and thanks for the G1/G2 sound demo.

I read somewhere that both the G1/G2 editor also works on the Microsoft Surface Pro, which means that you can use a stylus to do your patching.

Just wondering then if there are any modular iOS apps out there with similar deep functionality and reasonable sound quality to play around with while waiting for one to come up in the market?

Bury me with my expanded G2 engine. I like the engine, because I don’t need keys and I’d prefer to choose my own knob and button and pad configuration via external MIDI controllers than be locked into the panel that nord chose on the keyboard. Anyway, I found it easier to get good sounding simple patches with fewer modules when I had a micromodular, but the G2 is way more powerful and expansive, and I’ve been able to get it to sound how I want, at least as well as micromodular. There are good tricks for that on the electro-music forum’s nord modular section.

As much as I love the G2 as a synth, it’s as an FX processor that I find it invaluable. All the modular waveshaping and FX and pitch shifting and delays, etc are my jam. I can’t go back to regular FX. What do you mean I can’t control the feedback of a pitch-shifted delay with the envelope inverted on either side while an LFO controls the pitch and a sequencer controls delay time? What kind of mickey mouse shit is this?

7 Likes

A friend asked me recently and, from what I can tell, they still pull about $1500 for g2.

I use a micro and have had pretty good luck editing on latest os x (yosemite) using the open source nomad editor
http://nmedit.sourceforge.net/

I use sysex-patched Wine to edit my micro modular. Works great. The midi is flaky at times but that was true even in Windows.

Anyone know if there is a front panel layout sheet to be found anywhere ? I would like to make a custom G2 panel ?. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

I know it’s an old post, but how would you do that? MIDI mapping?
Edit : maybe I misunderstood. I’m looking for a way to sequence variations from the patch itself.

Looks like CC 70 is for variations. Might try using a midi cc module set to 70. I used to do this often.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll have a try today.

1 Like