Nord Modular G2

Yep , Midi CC 70.
You can even program a patch that randomize its own variation.

3 Likes

Donā€™t forget to setup Morph groups, you can sequence those too.

4 Likes

And you can use variations and morph groups with midi cc to control the Monomachine for example. That makes the Nord G2 an amazing midi controller !

3 Likes

Another example: sequence scene switches and crossfader on the OT from the G2.

There is a VST/AU editor for mac at byte-order.com

Thatā€™s cool. Thanks (edit : doesnā€™t work/open on any of the DAWā€™s on my computer unfortunately)
My old Mac (OSX 10.10) still runs this without issue http://www.stage-engine.com/micro-modular-1
on a modular G1

Or use the OT fader to control a morph group on the G2. And let the chosen scĆØne on the OT decide which morph. Endless posibilities :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve used and use this for sure! But I admit, havenā€™t got around to my suggestion above. Itā€™s easy to get carried away in the endless possibilities, but the cost for me is often not getting things tracks done! Right now Iā€™m using the G2 to get a couple of percussion lines done. Just velocity controlling a couple of parameters - wave shaper amount, envelope decay and pitch - I :heartbeat: G2

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got a headache trying to set it up (triggering variations from within the patch). It has to come from another slot, doesnā€™t it ?
If I try to trigger Variations from the same slot, I run into endless loops because there is no way to stop the CtrlSend modules from sending the CC value when a new Variation is selected. Am I missing something ?

Youā€™ve answered your own question: Yes, use a separate slot for sequencing Variations in other slots.

In performances where you want to have multiple sequences, itā€™s more efficient (module wise) and sometimes better sync + better overview to set up a dedicated sequencer slot e.g. all sequencers in Slot D to sequence A,B and C

4 Likes

Thanks.
Just for massive patches with a self-generative approach, it feels more natural to have everything in the same slot.
Anyway, lotā€™s of possibilities.
The Nord Modulars inspire me much more than the sum of everything else Iā€™ve ever owned. Such incredible instrumentsā€¦

1 Like

I have a patch here that randomize variations but ā€¦ yep its a little out of control :slight_smile:

Each variation calling another variation with a timer.

2 Likes

Sequencing morph groups? How do you do that?

And randomising variations from within one patch?

You mean just turning the morph dials automatically?

I specifically meant sequencing Morph groups with an Elektron device - just set them to a CC and plock that CC on your favorite Elektron.

But otherwise I guess you could do it with MIDI modules on a G2.

Iā€™m glad to see some NM users here. The electro-music is more or less dead nowadays and Iā€™m only starting my journey with NMs.
Itā€™s blowing my mind, Iā€™m much happier with this than with my eurorack system. Polyphony + patch memory + MIDI makes the huge difference for me.
Iā€™ve got the micro modular sitting on the G2 and barely touch anything else nowadays.

1 Like

Agreed, v nice to hear from NM users here, still enthusiastic about the great NMs

But itā€™s fine NM users forum is still up - itā€™s THE go to resource for in-depth info. Moderator Blue Hell, who has amazing knowledge of the NM1 and NM2 still responds. But, sure,

There are many aspects, such as Rob Hordijkā€™s ā€œwarmingā€ patches and Tim Kleinertā€™s ā€œDIYā€ oscillators which are way over my head and involve knowledge of the DSP programming. But learn from othersā€™ patches and the subjects.

e,g, The level sequencer.

More sequencer possibilities: use OT/ elektron trigs to one-shot trigger NM sequencers :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™ve wanted to try something similar, but with the OT in Plays Free Mode, being controlled by another NM sequencer that would also be effected by the OTā€¦

ā€You wanna get nuts? Come on, letā€™s get nuts!ā€

2 Likes

You could easily end up going around in ever-expanding circles!

Any tips about microtonality with a G2 ?
My best results are with round-robin the voices to different oscillators with their own detune, but itā€™s just for fun, as you canā€™t really predict which voice goes to which oscillator.