Nord G2 editor and its MacOS future

Thats bad news for M1 users :frowning: Is it possible to run the mac version with the new rosetta?

No. It’s not 64-bit.

I somewhere hoped rosetta could run old 32bits software. But that dream is ended .

I guess you/we might need to look out for Nord to update its ARM Windows USB driver in that case?

Same driver is used for their other synths which are currently still supported.

I was hoping that something similar to Codeweavers’ Crossover might be able to re-jig the code from 32 bit to 64 bit.

…or, maybe disassembly and re-assembly might be a way forward?

Yup, fingers crossed that Clavia USB update will do the job…

1 Like

…damn…i’m a big nord fan…and i got many impressive sounds out of an micro modular back in the days…but beyond that, i was never into modular from clavia…nord leads “only”…
no one ever got the virtual analog thing even better than the real thing like they did…
but when i hear u guys, how desperately u try everything to keep it’s software editor alive, still to be able to comunicate with the nord modular hardware…
i get the feeling, i really missed out on something…
i know the nord modular was a great and unique sonic tool…
but that it’s THAT timeless…i had no idea…
so i keep my fingers crossed for all of u…that this little editor will see some updating light in the near future…
don’t think clavia will do it, though…
but i’m pretty confident some nerd out there WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN…

but if i think twice…would’nt make it sense, by now, to spent this combo some pretty outdated laptop for a few bux, dedicated to run nothing but THIS…?

1 Like

It’s still the best modular editor experience i know of. And also a very nice hardware UI. And then all the sounds it can make… My swiss army knife. And yes a simple old and cheap laptop could do the job.

4 Likes

It really is that special (both generations, really).

And yes I have two or three computers around that can run the editor, but this is the decisive moment when my main music machine (leagues beyond adequate in every other sense) finally can’t. Makes a big difference.

3 Likes

…but as far as i understand this whole swedish take on virtual modular sounddesign approach, it stands as an instrument of it’s own anyways…
spending this some superoldfashioned little laptop beside it, hardwired to it exclusively, that creates all the next virtual patches ready to be stored as a another next new preset in the hardware, where u never have to care again, if this editor can run on ur main studio machine or not, sounds like a huuuge advantage to me…
especially since there is no real need to do this in any realtime sensebilty fashion within ur main machine, that can be easily freed from also hosting that outdated but timeless editor. with further and further more hussel…
and this editor is nothing but an pretty outdated editor…therefor all cpu demands it needs to do it’s job must be super low…just guessing here along the most obvious logic…
i really don’t see any point, why something like this MUST run on any actual centerpiece machine…
it’s obviously a cult classic already…so why not spend it some little pocketcalculator side by side, from the same time, that handles only this and nothing else but this…
maybe u even find some old tracker software from those days, that can run paralel to the editor and that whole vintage installation becomes a whole little workstation on it’s own, only connected to the actual computer by some dedicated audio cables hardwired to the interface…sounds pretty neat to me…

1 Like

You said it. It somehow does make a big difference, and there’s really nothing out there that lives up to the nord modular-- at least for me. Fingers crossed for an update to the usb utility.

I still have a pre-release G2 keyboard for which I’ve kept an old iMac around just to run the software. In my case, the software side of it is crucial, since the hardware side of my G2 is all but non-functional (keyboard works, as do all of the I/O, but the buttons and knobs are all ‘brain dead’ due to my attempt to update the firmware despite Clavia’s warnings not to do so). It’s basically a G2 Engine disguised as a keyboard. These days it gets little use, as I simply don’t have the room in my studio to keep it all set up. Still, it’s hard to let it go. There simply is nothing else like it.

Hmmm, I wonder if I could stick it in a rack enclosure… :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m considering downloading this disassembler (trial version) to see what it makes of the G2 app.

https://www.hopperapp.com/

Anyone else interested in seeing what it does?

4 Likes

Oooh. Interesting! Looks like the symbols are in the binary. There’s a heck of a lot of code though, so suspect it’s probably not a quick conversion task.

3 Likes

For Intel Mac Catalina users and modular editors -

I recently went through some troubleshooting with a friend for the G2 editor on my Intel i7 Macbook pro running 10.15.7. I set up Parallels with High Sierra on my laptop, which opened the editor fine for the G2. However, USB was not connecting. I tried several different usb cords with no luck, and a cord with a ferrite bundle on it gave a brief connection that was quickly lost. I then tried a powered USB hub, running the ferrite bundle usb cable from the G2 into the hub which was then plugged into my laptop with a no name brand 3.0 usb cable. Worked!

I tried using Windows 7 and XP in Parallels on my Mac as well but soon discovered that the usb drivers won’t emulate in Parallels. Complete dead end.

I should mention this is a G2 Engine. We also haven’t done extensive patching and playing on it, but so far it’s working. I’ll update later with any developments. I’m also going to try a different usb hub as I do need to replace the one I’m using for another setup.

For G1, the Stage Engine 64 bit editor has been working great for me on the same system listed above.

I’m going to be getting a silicone chip Mac in a couple months and I’ll give that a run with the above as well to see. Unless anyone can tell me now that’s a waste of time…

Hope this helps anyone!

2 Likes

I’ve yet to find anyone successfully using the G2 editor on an M1 Mac (which includes successfully connecting it to the G2 hardware).

If anyone has crossed this frontier, please speak up.

3 Likes

Looking forward to hearing the results of that. Thanks for reporting in!

As far as I know, ARM looks like a no go for the G2 editor at the moment.

On another note, I did have some USB drop outs on my Intel Mac running Parallels. This was ultimately resolved by inserting a small powered USB hub in between the Nord and my computer.

I just bought a Intel NUC for exactly this reason to run the Nord Modular G1 editor. The cheapest one I could find (2 core Celeron, 8 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD - 250 euros). I’d been running the editor on the Mac in Wine but it was sometimes behaving erratically and losing connection constantly.

Im surprised there is no open source editor for the Nord G2 :frowning:

1 Like

There are a few attempts. I’m a software engineer by day (embedded systems), but don’t have the spare time to get involved with such a project.

I’d have thought that there would be more info on the protocol(s) involved though, via reverse-engineering?