Nord G2 editor and its MacOS future

ok, so I dowloaded the G2 editor once again and after reinstall it works natively with my OSX 10.12.6 Sierra. I can load and change the patch in the machine (G2 Engine), load and save patches in computer, sent MIDI over USB etc. Connecting using the red Elektron USB cable. Everything works as much as I can tell. Only issue that I see is the old problem that you have to reconnect USB cable after restarting the editor.

1 Like

Finaly did an update to macOS Cataline. I had to for work but waited because my G2…

Today i tried the G2 editor on Windows7 on Parallels. It works perfect! And with the coherence mode of parallels it’s ‘almost’ the native experience. At least more than good enough for the occasional patching.

1 Like

Did you find any change to the editor connectivity using Windows/Parallels? I can run the editor just fine on Mojave, but still get plenty of interruptions.

I tested it shortly (max 10 minutes) so i don’t know yet if a long session will have connection hickups. I’ll report back if i had a longer session (an hour or so). Don’t have the time for it right now, maybe in a couple of days.

Also works on OSX Mojave, running under Parallels. …and you don’t need to buy a Windows license for that.

Downside - Parallels uses at least 2 of your CPU cores.

1 Like

Well I’ve been able to run it natively in Mojave without Parallels, but I’m curious if using it with Parallels improves performance.

Yes, of course it will run natively in Mojave - but if your host is Catalina or later, then you can run Mojave under Parallels on Catalina or Big Sur. …and then use that Mojave VM to host the editor.

I was thinking of getting one of those cheap micro fanless PCs dedicated to the G2 and using MS Remote Desktop from my iMac. Anyone tried that? Was hoping Remote Desktop was less processor intensive than Parallels.

1 Like

This editor worked/works for me,
It’s basically a WINE port i think : The guys who developed it are pretty friendly.
There is another port to a AU/VST which I can’t seem to find atm

edit : found it
http://byte-order.com/site/index.php/nord-modular-editor-byte-order/

I was thinking about this or something like it too, maybe even an old laptop or something.

I have a friend with an old windows machine reserved for this purpose and it lives in a little hutch underneath the G2 at his desk. It’s a viable solution, just don’t connect it to a network and you are good to go.

Mmm maybe i’ll try this instead of Windows. How/where can i download Mojave or older? (Snow Leopard would be nice :slight_smile:

Hope someone made a good working G2 editor for 64bits macOS. Or for Raspi

From the Apple store.

Lol very funny

Honestly not meant to be funny. That’s where you can download a copy of Mojave from. That’s where I get MacOS releases from.

How easy, didn’t know that.

lol sorry. Totally misread the thread. Thought you were replying to the post above “hope someone does a Nord mudular g2 64 bit editor” with the reply “it’s in the App Store”

older MacOS are int eh app store but hidden. in USA they’re linked from this page. scroll down at the link to “Download MacOS” and they have OS back to yosemite.

in some countries the links go nowhere though.

2 Likes

I personally stick to an old laptop running Windows 98. It’s worth it imho