Nord Drum 3 & 3P

I have the 2 and 3P. Probably going to sell the 2, but I’m in no rush. Yeah, a few parameters are different, but the 3 still sounds amazing and still has a hugely flexible range. It also has reverb and delay (global), which sounds nice.

One of the big selling points of the Digitakt is the MIDI sequencer with conditional trigs… it will be my main way of triggering the 3P. Super excited.

My MD is brilliant, but the sound of the ND is above and beyond. You won’t regret getting one!

1 Like

Where do you reside?

Also, why out of the two would you sell the 2? FX? Pads?

I have them both, I think the ND2 sounds better, more organic and such.

However I’m really nostalgic of the MD as its my first piece of kit. Also is has is other uses, as I can trigger the modular with it and use its internal inputs if im short. Its just a good all round companion to have around. I can always find use for it I guess.

2 Likes

Can anyone tell me if the ND3p fixed their midi input to not have a nervous meltdown if a midi cable is plugged in on startup?

Anyone know if or when the Nord Drum 3 without Pads is ever going to be available if not any one know where i can get a Nord Drum 2 from can’t find one anywhere online

Yes it’s very strange story. I have the feeling ii will never be. it’s like they decided to go with only Nord Drum 3P and drop the release/build of the ND3 without the pads. There’s no sign on their website of this build version. So strange.

Nord will probably jump to a Nord Drum 4 at some point… Maybe they find they have more Drummer interested rather than people who want as tabletop drum module and they finally decided to not released the “Without Pads” version.

A bit strange considering how second hand market on ND2 gone crazy

2 Likes

there are none second hand

Yes that’s why i use the term “crazy”

2 Likes

I think the ND2 was high tide, the 3 will never see the light of day.
Can’t imagine an ND4 though I would buy it in a flash.
Often thought of just getting the 3P and chopping the pads off but the lack of trigger inputs relegates it to midi only and I’m not satisfied at that knowing how well the 1+2 respond to cv/modular.

Pity really.

The sounds of the 3P were pretty legit and the pads were cool. But as cool as the sounds were the lack of multitracking was the deal breaker(I knew about it prior, but I didn’t realize how important it was for me until after).

It doesn’t matter how cool the potential 4 is if it’s still the same stereo out common for the Nord Drum series…

1 Like

Yes separate outs would be very nice.

1 Like

I wish Nord would do a proper drum machine. Sequencer, morph, impulse morph etc.
Even just four channel like the synths, it would/could be great.

Maybe when I win the lottery.
Twice.
I’ll approach Mr. Nordelius and Mr Carlsson and get this shit sorted out!

Love you though still Nord!

1 Like

I’m in the camp that wishes they would release the 3 with no pads, but like @William_WiLD, I’m thinking it will never happen. They also discontinued the A1R, so maybe they are not interested in releasing sound modules separate from the keys or pads.

I wish more than one company would release a killer drum synth (no pads) with trigger inputs in this size/form factor.

2 Likes

I personally love the ND3P, it really got me into drumming again. I picked up a kick pedal and proper stand and adding the human element to some loops, even if it was just some basic drumming. Mapping the midi out of each pad to Battery Kits also opened up some very cool layering options. I think that it has the most comfortable set of pads next to the hybrikat (which is almost twice the price).

Separate outs would have been great though, I can’t understand why Nord would not include this, but you can edit each pad so that you have a good mix going out. Its cumbersome if you are doing it on the device itself (although after using it for awhile it doesn’t seem so bad one handed), but if you check out the midi capabilities you can control a lot externally. I do over obsess with multi tracking though, and lately I’ve started to see that it’s not really the most important thing in the world. Its worth noting that you can control quite all kinds of sound shaping parameters on the device prior to sending it out.

2 Likes

I’d love to see a Nord groovebox. Wouldn’t that be cool? The perc voices from the ND2, a couple of synth voices, a sequencer, maybe some effects.

8 Likes

I know I’m late to this, but I have a ND2 that I love, love, love. You can kind of deal with lack of individual outs by just hard panning voices. I typically do low freq stuff on R and high freq on left. Works OK.

2 Likes

I also love my ND2. It’s actually my favorite drum machine and I’m on the brink to get a second one for having more individual outs.
Wish it would be more hands on, but I might built a midi controller for it.

1 Like

Worth mentioning the ND1 here I think, I’ve seen them go for silly prices second hand. It tends to get overlooked but still is a very capable and great sounding little slab.
I have both 1+2 and would never let them go. Great with modular, great with midi (trig 1 and cc on 2), great with a pad!

They are the best drum synths on this particular planet.

3 Likes

The ND1 doesn’t respond to midi CCs though right?

nope…no midi other than note info on the ND1.

2 Likes