Nord Drum 3 & 3P

Users might not, but retailers will.

1 Like

Users might not, but retailers will.[/quote]
Ahh, yup, quite right!

1 Like

Agreed - weā€™ll look first to the stores for discounted ND2s, which is where we first sighted ND1s being blown out for $99 each

1 Like

I have a ND2 and Padā€¦ but I am slightly tempted to go for the 3P, solely for the individual sound saving/loading. Thatā€™s such a huge workflow issue for me. I understand I may be slightly downgrading the synth engineā€¦ Im curious how noticeably different the results will be.

I am overall, underwhelmed. Really wanted 6 outs and USB MIDI. Sigh. Why does Nord always make me sad?

I suppose at this point of the companyā€™s history, theyā€™re playing to the crowd more than ever. Products like the A1/A1R that have been shaped for simplicity and accessibility have done far better for the company, financially, than the more deep and complex products (NL3, Nord Modular).
Synthesists want a Nord Drum with more technical options, but their investors surely want a successful product like the A1.

1 Like

Well, to be fair, I bought an A1 after MONTHS of comparing to the NL4, and I have no regrets. It does exactly what I wanted it to do: make bread and butter synth sounds quickly, with great results.

I have 2 Nord Modular G2s and a Virus TI, all of which are great for modulation and experimenting. My problem was that all of those were way too tedious to get a simple pad, lead, or bass sound from (NM editor required, or menu diving on the TI/using the software). With the A1 I can turn it on, turn some knobs, and in minutes have the sound I wanted. They really did nail that synth, for what it does.

So I guess my question to myself: is the ease of kit construction with the ND3 worth giving up a few synth controlsā€¦ Maybeā€¦ if it still delivers are great sound, I think I can live without the bump and noise attack controls.

Too soon to tell thoughā€¦ I need to hear more demos, read the manual, etc.

Sweetwater is selling Nord Drum 3P for $200 less than Nord Drum 3:

Are 6 trigger inputs that much more expensive than 6 drum pads?

lol thatā€™s gotta be a mistake. In a sonic state video the Nord rep said 599 euros, which is about 800 usd. The question is, if I order now at this price, will SW honor it?

I think they have to honor it. If not, you can cancel the order.

Getting more and more tempted to pull the trigger on a 3P. Lack of CAT6 port and trigger inputs for Eurorack interfacing is a downside, Iā€™m sure, for some, but I can live without those at that apparently mistaken price.

Would you guys worry about potentially messing up the interface, screen, or buttons, banging on that thing with drum sticks? I could see myself destroying any resale vale with one simple misplaced hit while jamming out with my eyes closed. 3P makes me nervous.

Not that this matters a great deal but the 3P is lilke 33% heavier than a ND2 + Pad despite being slimmer! Not an issue for most of us but a few like to move their gear around in as easy to manage a way as possible.

Still, I quite like the 3P. I jam with mates every now and again and my drummer pal usually resorts to just using Maschine or Push for ease. This (or ND2+Pad) would go down well.

Did they give you a refund?

How in the heck did they not throw USB-MIDI on this? I got excited (as much as I love my ND2) when I saw the headline, and I kept searching and searching for USB in videos, Nordā€™s site. Just baffling.

An improved output would be nice, but as far as I can tell, thatā€™s the only part of this that feels like an upgrade. Sheesh, throw USB and maybe two assignable outs on, and I would be real tempted to give Nord more money. Iā€™m bummed.

I had a Roland Handsonic with the UI next to the pads like that.
I never touched the UI part by accident, - not even once - even though Iā€™m one of the clumsiest people I know.
The current Roland Octapad also has a UI next to the pads - but off to the side. Seems like a lot of people use those without accidentally smashing the UI with a drum stick.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

3P is shipping now. My retailer just called me letting me know their stock arrived today, and my preorder will be shipping today.

Clavia is still silent regarding the 3 version.

The Nord Percussion line intrigues me. When the time is right, Iā€™d like to move on that. Iā€™ve heard the ND2 is absolutely top notch(also itā€™s smaller and would fit easier in my studio set up), but MAYBE the 3 might be cool, too? Surely improved in SOME way from the two(albeit with slightly less customization).

Has anybody experienced the differences between the two? Or heard any word of a multiple out 4 coming along?

ND2 is the best drum synth imo. Replaced my RYTM with no regrets.
Havenā€™t used the ND3 as the pads are of zero use to me. I canā€™t drum for shit and always trigger via midi. Heard the 3 is less powerful also?
Created a Live drum rack for ND2 and it is unstoppable, especially triggering via Push.
Typical Nord hifi crisp sound, FM is really good. The only sound I am not 100% happy with is the clap. Have to layer that with a sample to be perfect.
Multiple outs would be great, still for the price itā€™s an absolute bargain :+1:

4 Likes

Nice! Iā€™m thinking, once I get the Pyramid down, trying to get a ND2 and compare that with the sound and capabilities of the MDUW. Maybe sell the MDUW since I have a centralized sequencer brain.

Thanks for the input!

1 Like