Nord Drum 2 - Hesitation

Man, I really want one of these-ever since I tried triggering my old Yamaha RM-50 from the MD’s trigger outputs I’ve been thinking about getting one for something more modern and portable.

Also, thanks to @Baddcr for linking that Muffwiggler thread earlier-I’d been thinking about getting a ND2 to pair with a Trigger Riot, but it definetly sounds like I’d need more VCAs to really utilize it.

Hello folks,

I couldn’t get some of the thread to load for some reason, so might be repeating a question, and it is a stupid question - how does this actually work ithe A4?

Triggering it from the A4, for example, what does the Nord 2 then do, play a single note/beat or a sequence of some sort…? Can you set up a complex rythyms?

Cheers.

Each trigger input can trigger a single drum hit. Your Analog Four would perform the sequencing.

Thanks Peter, so I think the A4/Ak has 4 cv signals, so that’ll give you a pretty decent drum ‘kit’ on the ND2, nice!

1 Like

Can you control each CV out on the CV track on the a4?

I don’t have a lot of money and I found the ND2 on a special price for like 399 both pieces, the pad and the module.
It’s the only synth I have to make melodies because I sold my tetr4, and i use in my setup only OT+ND2 +MDUW

Here’s an example of ONLY THE ND2 being controlled by the OT.

Everything went through the OT, I only compressed it in Live. All reverbs are from the OT using DarkReverb and since I don’t have a big interface I literally recorded everything straight to the 1&2 inputs.
Also, it’s a sketch.

6 Likes

Good work @Huno. The ND2 is really something. I kind of wish all I had was the OT and ND2 (and OP-1!) because that is more than enough to fill a lifetime!
I truly do not wish to sound patronising but we all know it’s not the gear it’s the user.
I’m glad to hear an ND2 based track with no drums!
Mindbender eh!?

I want to build an underground bunker, take my OT and ND2 and never surface again.
Unfortunately some of my gear owns me rather than I own it!
How do you like them apples Tyler Durden?

hey, thanks. that’s nice of you to say. :custard:
Well, yeah, I tend to focus on what I got, which is a lot. A OT was expensieve for me, still bought. I’ve met people that makes music with korg gadget.

So, yeah, hope you can make that bunker and invite me over. I cook nice ribs.:fork_and_knife:

and yes, the nd makes crazy drums sounds and harmonic aswell. I kinda wish for it to have more outputs and maybe for me to get a better en bigger interface. I have the same one since 2005. I was 15. go 1990

@Huno Yeah when the ND2 update landed allowing chromatic on every channel I could not believe my luck!
So many synthesis options to explore and control, and it’s response to velocity is gorgeous. The OT is a perfect companion, I also sample some sounds into the OP-1 so I can make lush pad chords, some of the waves on the ND2 are silky smooth, the FM is great too with a little LFO from the OT.
I know what you mean about the output shortage but I can forgive it as what comes out of the two there are sounds great!
That korg gadget is flippin’ great too, when using a soundcard on the iPad you can really hear the beef and potatoes getting drenched in gravy!
If I can get a mortgage for my bunker ill let you know…
Hope you satisfy your soundcard requirements in the meantime fella.

I’ve mentioned it here before somewhere that even now I visit the Nord site and listen to the demos and sound library examples.

Here they are for anyone still on the fence about this beast

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libraries/product-libraries/drums/nord-drum-2/boska-bank

1 Like

I’ll come to the OT bunker too, I’ll bring OT, Nord Drum 2 and Blofeld.

If I’m allowed the Ipad, Korg Gadget and Modstep too.

Seriously, ModStep can really open up the Nord Drum, clever midi mapping cal allow you to automate most ND2 parameters.

@Automageddon you are welcome in the bunker!
ND2 and OT is auto qualification!

I do have modstep but I’ve not had a chance to play around with it yet! I did primarily get it for the ND2 for the very reasons you mention, I’m crazy for random lfo biz and can’t wait to get some automation going.
Will have to wait though as have house guests at the moment, not sure they will appreciate me going mental in my underpants at 2 am!

I’ve often considered getting my OT faceplate Nordified to orange, but it’s quite expensive.

1 Like

I think I’ve never seen a OP in my life.
Yes, the ND2 FM is sexy. I’ve always been a fan of FM, that’s why I always wanted a monomachine, because of all the digital and fm thingies that I THINK it has.
I hope the next machine is a FM type of machine. But I don’t know.

Thanks for the libraries, I didn’t know they had libraries for that ND other than the factory ones.

Enjoyed this a lot.

I don’t often use drums/percussive sounds but everything I’ve heard of the ND2 being using melodically/harmonically sounds great.

I fear I am being slowly being afflicted by the dreaded GAS :fearful:

Join us, JOIN US!
It is an amazing synth in a ridiculously small footprint.

I use so little of it…
Mostly analogue shape 1 fir kicks, noise and click for snares, triangle wave on claps.
Any tips for fm percussion s?

I tend to start with a long sound then trim it down to a hit rather than the other way round.
The best way to explore is to forget it’s a drum synth and treat it like a synth.
Also get a rough sound and just switch through the wave types, constantly triggering from the unit itself and from a velocity transmitting source. Even sequence with different velocity hits.
Sometimes I will make an entire kit using just one wave, forcing me to push other sections in directions I’d not normally go.
I couldn’t say I have any fm tips per se as it’s just another type of synthesis but defo playing with the spectra is key, take it to max and min and cycle through, again though I’ll try to make a longer sound first to evaluate what’s happening over time and then trim that down, often playing chromatically rather than changing pitch on the unit. Then see where it takes you. Make sure the noise and click aren’t getting in the way by using the section mute function often to really isolate what you are doing, pure genius from Nord on that!

I also don’t pay much attention to keeping the ‘kick’ on channel 1etc, it’s easy to switch sounds later but I prefer changing kits maybe on the last quarter of a fourth bar and since the sounds are wildly different it makes an interesting fill! With a little planning you can really get some great effects happening, especially if a tail is not cut with another trigger.

Defo make longer sounds first, go for an fm pad or bass with a tail and then shorten the envelope, either manually or with velocity.
Biggest problem I have with the ND2 and ND1 is programming a kit without making a track at the same time!
Now I’ve learned to build the kit as a track and not worry about it, I don’t attempt either exclusively anymore, they are so easy and quick to edit.

I can’t imagine any of that being any help but it’s made my stomach tingle thinking about those little wedges of Swedish delight!

Pity the ND3 looks like a load of old codswallop!

1 Like

Hi everybody!

I do not have any drum machine and can’t afford the Analog rytm yet. I already have the octatrack.

Is the Nord Drum 2 coupled to the octatrack a good investment?

Wynd

Yes it is a nice combo - you have full MIDI CC implementation and a characteristic sound.
Downside: ND2 has a stereo out only, no separate outs.

1 Like

I also thought about the combo many times. I think it would be great. A lot of opinions about the ND2 can be found in this thread.

2 Likes

It’s a nice pair.
I use both live and in studio.
You can create great and crazy sound in ND2 with lots of variation by using P lock and CC.
As MichalHo wrote, the only limitation is one out only and no FX on boards.
I sample static sounds on OT from ND2 (as kick for example) and I play dry with audio track and the rest in MIDI so I can work in the synth section of ND2 for real time modifications and add EFX also from OT.

BTW ND2 is very different from AR, not only because one is a module and the other is drum machine.
ND2 can produce a very big range of sounds: percussions (synth or real like), synthesizers and abstract sounds that I really love.
AR is a great machine but more limitated in sound design way.
ND2 sounds digital (It’s characteristic and not a problem), AR sounds fat and more (for me) wild.

2 Likes