Nord Drum 2 - Hesitation

I sold mine to finance a Rytm, but I had lots of fun with it.

Apart from the strings all sounds on the track below are ND2 sampled in the OT.
https://soundcloud.com/erstav/erstav-divide

1 Like

great track and great sound-noise generator from little red box

Perfect combination, remember the ND2 has six channels, all of which can be played chromatically so you have a lot of synthesis power there to sample, run through fx etc.
Add in the cc and the great midi Sequencer in the OT with arps and locks and you should be happy for years.

The ND2 is made for the OT.

1 Like

I think so too. I always told myself to wait until the ND3 comes out and the prices drop for the ND2, as they did for the original ND. Since third ND is out, I hope this will happen soon.

Thanks man! Indeed, good thread!

Yeah you are much better off with the 2, for some reason Nord have not released the ND3 only the 3P so Iā€™m thinking the module has been ditched.
The 3 really is so cut down I think itā€™s almost a joke.
Shameā€¦

I thought I read somewhere the module is still to come.

I wouldnā€™t hold my breath. It looks to me like any plans for the ND3 module are on hiatus, and since the ND2 has been discontinued it looks like there are no retailers with any stockā€¦I was keeping an eye out for prices to drop on them myself, but I never saw it.

Nord Drum 2 is very good for learning Drum layering the good way :slight_smile:

It was removed from the Nord website a few months back.
Strange business for sure.
I donā€™t think it will surface now at all.

Still, the 2 is brilliant and if the midi cc/chromatic isnā€™t crucial the 1 is still a very attractive module.
Both respond beautifully to velocity, itā€™s just astounding.

Iā€™ve used triggers from an analogue eurorack sequencer and the minor fluctuations in the voltage from step to step are audible from the synthesis, totally beautiful to hear.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll just echo everyone here; Octatrack and ND2 are sort of a match made in heaven because of the ND2ā€™s multi-part/multi-timbral setup. The only reservation I have about it is its output stage can be a little weak, signal-wise (but then again, if processing through the OT, maybe not a bad thing since the OTā€™s inputs can run a little hot). Itā€™s a terrific and versatile piece of kit that runs the gamut of digital drum sounds, physical modeling, and way, way more; it has ā€œfuture classicā€ written all over it. It can replicate analog sounds fairly easily, but it doesnā€™t sound analog if that makes sense; all the reservations about VA vs. analog.

2 Likes

Wow, thatā€™s great advertisement :slight_smile:

Itā€™s a great product. If only the ND3 were an improvementā€¦ but given the trajectory of the product (more toward drummers who want to add some digital drums than sound design geeks who want to make glitched-out electronic music, it seems to me, at least), if they keep going that direction then in ten-to-fifteen years, ND2 is going to be one of those revered finds people are always scouring for online. The ā€œgoodā€ one, so to speak.

I finally bought the Nord Drum 2. It sounds pretty well!
Love the sawtooth waves.

Well, I process it with the octatrack and the midi cc function offers a lot of breakbeat and IDM possibilities!

That is said, iā€™ve a little problem. I donā€™t understand why some drum sounds decays of several channels are cut with others like a gate effectā€¦ Does anyone know what is the problem?

Mute Group

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Good to read that, iā€™m gonna try to sample it and add some lo-fi effects !

By the way, is it possible to synthesize these drums with the Nord2?

This is killer stuff. its probably a maxmsp patch btw but, nothing is impossible :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree with @Baddcr, and if you throw it into the OT you will have the other aspects covered tooā€¦

1 Like

Thanks!

Any idea about the electricity sound and how to do it?

Clic and (Type) Noise randomly filter

2 Likes