Nord Drum 2 - Hesitation

Thanks for the tip. Further investigation has found it to be a Nord Pad manufacturing issue, so I have sent it back to Germany under warranty (thank god!) to get repaired. Still have to cover postal costs one way, so it’s not cheap, but I’m glad the shop I bought it from is working with me on it considering I now live on the other side of the world!

I ended up getting a 3P because I didn’t want to wait for international warranty stuff to play out - the Nord Drum is central to my whole setup - so when the ND2 Pad comes back I’ll essentially have a 12 pad, 12 voice über-Nord Drum monstrosity, all running through two H9s and an Analog Heat. Slightly excessive, but that’s oksy with me!

In the meantime, using the 3P pad to trigger the 3P + the ND2 module at the same time = awesome layering possibilities! Love these machines so much :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I sold mine and regret it, it would be such a great thing to have with the MPC.

Might look for another one…

does anyone use an Alesis Control Pad with their ND2?

i still have the nord pad, but i wish you could set pads to transmit on different midi channels instead of the global channel. i’m currently having to set the global channel to the auto channel for either the mnm or dt…i think the Alesis Control Pad would fix this caveat.

Heyheyhey. Aren’t you supposed to be comparing it to a certain app as opposed to making me GAS even more for one?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Great stuff. Thanks?

2 Likes

well… I thought I compare it to Elastic Drums but after some minutes fooling with it I decided to record this video :wink:

Recording: Individual MIDI Channels
Manual, Page 30
http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sites/default/files/files/downloads/manuals/nord-drum-2/Nord%20Drum%202%20English%20User%20Manual%20v3.0x%20Edition%20F.pdf

i’m talking about the nord pad…it only allows you to trigger pads from the same channel which is why i ordered an alesis controlpad.

anyone looking for a nord pad?

1 Like

talking about the nord pad too…
the pad triggers channel 1 to 6 of the nord drum (connected by the ethernet cable) and the midi out of the nord drum sends:

• different notes on one (Global) MIDI Channel or
  • specific notes on specific (Individual) MIDI Channels.

it would only work via the global out, so not sure what i was doing wrong.

I’ll see if I can get it to work again tonight.

hmmpf, still only spitting midi out via the global channel. so yah, i don’t believe the nord pad does anything with the individual midi channels, only the global channel.

looking forward to hooking it up to an alesis controlpad soon so i can record to separate midi channels to the DT/MM

Just got my ND2 today! So far have just been sequencing it with ableton live but it sounds great!
This max for live patch is really cool to! Maps to push2 nicely! :smiley:
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/2741/nord-drum-2-controller

I am thinking about building a no PC live techno set…want to get a octatrack and maybe a tetra.I think those 3 pieces of kit along with a pedal or two should be able to get me pretty far! question for OT heads: would it be a pain to sequence nd2 and tetra from the OT?nd2 and tetra do not have midi thru so would i need something like the midi solutions quadra thru ??
Not sure if sync issues would occur?
-Chris

1 Like

Would be no pain at all imo. Have the quadra thru. works flawlessly

1 Like

i tested this last night, and yes, you’re only able to record the global channel that the ND2 is configured to…so there’s no way to get the Nord Pad to output anything other than the global channel.

just a heads up in case this is a deal breaker for those of you who are interested in picking a nord pad with their ND2.

Global is set to OFF?

correct, the global channel is the only channel the nord pad will output midi to. with it off, nothing comes out of the nd2’s midi output.

SCANDAL
wtf is clavia progging?
seems to explain my trouble recording into the monomachine…

i mean, if thats my setup - each track on own channel, it listens to that (incoming) and is not able to send that?

Can anyone say whether the ND2 transmits MIDI note when you press the front panel trigger button?

There’s a Nord Drum 2 with Pad on gumtree and I’m struggling not to reach out to the seller…

Nord would clean up if they released a Drum 4 with onboard sequencer, minus the pads.
Such an opportunity
It just sounds so good

6 Likes