Norand Mono (Analog Bass Synth with Sequencer)

Definitely get familiar with the quick start menu if you haven’t yet. Some things aren’t obvious, but make sense when you understand.

2 Likes

Thanks, i’ll keep re-reading but i’m not seeing any related mode that would cause this offhand.

You’re going to want to use the internal sequencer on this, trust me.

1 Like

Try hitting the function button to get out of a menu.

This thing is next level. The sound engine and the sequencer are so good. All other synths are lacking now.

3 Likes

Thanks, in those cases I pressed func but was unable to leave what i was stuck in.

Unsurprisingly knowing more of what i’m doing with macros leaves me less in whatever state i found myself in before :stuck_out_tongue: So that’s good!

There’s a guy on FB selling one of these in the UK, I was a bit tempted.

I’ve had it for less than a day and have noticed either some bugs or user confusion.
It’s incredibly badass though and I’m sticking with it.

2 Likes

Have you updated the firmware? As there was a bug fix for some issue?

I think it’s the newest because it shows the pitch on the keyboard, but I can check. They just sent it to me so I’d expect it was updated. I haven’t seen anything too confusing since.

2 Likes

Yeah, since devoting more time to it and rereading the manual i’m getting stuck less at least!

I think my confusion was around how the sequencer and envelope works. The short pulse on steps without slide can be a bit confusing when I’m more used to x0x/Engine style sequencer (where pulse default to 50% of step, like a 303) but makes sense with a full ADSR… still can be surprised by what feels like"missing" notes when attack and decay are short but sustain is turned up. Can be really great though for getting a completely different vibe with different pockets in the same sequence.

1 Like

Great talk with the developer (in english) and good explanations for this unique piece of gear:

2 Likes
4 Likes

I submitted a bug where switching octaves on the mini kb sometimes doesn’t take effect until after a couple key presses.

Also, can we not edit step parameter offsets on mod notes?
It would sure be nice to use the same mod note but easily edit the (e.g.) pitch on different steps, rather than saving each differently pitched note in a new mod note slot…

A guy I do a lot of trading with told me this is his current top recommendation. Says it sounds great and has a really good random function. Build quality isn’t the greatest, but feels that it more than makes up for it in both sounds and design. Told me all the functions make sense, and you can tell the developers really put a lot of thought and love into it.

1 Like

How does it do at emulating a 303? Is it possible to get the glides and accent into a decent 303 emulation?

I know this has alot more features, and is a completely different thing. But if it also does a decent 303, i might be able to convince myself to get one. hehe.

Got mine 2 days ago and been noodling since then, only with a Korg NTS 1 for fx.
I love it, so much to explore, such a beast, a keeper!

Cutoff pot was grinding when turning, but Mathieu kindly send me a new
one instantly. He is very ambitious to give the best support and is very passionate
about his work.

In the interview he said, that he will build a drum machine in 2023. We should expect something really special here!

Haven´t checked the 303 ability in all extensions yet, have to check that with glides and accent more, but I have to say the random functions, also for glide and accent are impressive and fun. I got lost with so many options to check what it can do, … insane.

5 Likes

It does amazing acid, but it’s not a 303 clone. Knowing how people can be especially picky when it comes to the 303, just keep that in mind.

I’m sure with some work you can make acid lines that could pass as a 303, but to me the workflow is different enough that it is far from the same experience. I’ve got an Avalon and x0x (and have had many other clones) and this isn’t that.

I think of it closer to a super powerful modern 101 with 2 oscs and a ton of modulation.

2 Likes

sounds amazing, n the sequencer functions are brilliant.
if it was a bit cheaper I’d be all over it, but €850 is a bit too spicy for me.