Noooooootropics (Nootropics)

Would love to open this discussion with fellow creatives. So, I am recently off Adderall and have the attention span of a dust mite, if that. Over the years many have suggested I take Nootropics instead. I’m eyeing a couple of brands I get ads for that have nice blends of different natural compounds. But, I am curious if any of you take Nootropics, what brand, and how do you like them? Feedback is appreciated.

1 Like

Magnesium, ginkgo, l-theanine, caffeine.

2 Likes

Most of it, if not over-the-counter drugs or pharmaceuticals masquerading as “nutraceuticals” are reliant on the placebo effect and are passed around on sketchy podcasts (and those designed to dazzle a person with bullshit and weaponize intellectual inferiority/peddle “enlightenment” or conspiracist thinking.)

With my neurotype I mostly ignore the supplement peddlers.

The modern podcast disinfo ecosystem is barely an evolution off the old AM radio cranks that’ve been shilling quackery since “Dr.” John Romulus Brinkley if not invented, certainly solidified the practice with his radio career.

Always.

8 Likes

I’ve not used them myself, but I’ve done a lot of work with people that have done and have used similar solutions. Some swore by it, others not so much.

I think they’re probably something that work best as part of a more considered approach to maintaining healthy routines and sleep patterns. More of an aid to maintaining a healthy lifestyle than something like Adderall. I think though, that should such a healthy balance be achieved, you’ll probably find you can live without them.

If it’s something you’re interested in trying I see no harm in it, just another trial in the trial and error universe of ADHD.

I’d see them in the same way I see my wife having a chamomile tea before bed. The chamomile tea isn’t really doing anything, but it’s establishing and supporting (if not so much facilitating) a healthy sleep routine.

9 Likes

Caffeine and l-theanine aka matcha or green tea. If I really really need to dial it in for the day and I have little faith in my mental abilities, I take a pill with a 1:2 ratio. YMMV.

I know some people swear by supplements. In my mind, the only differences between supplements and pharmaceuticals is that one is regulated and the other isn’t. Im skeptical of anything from the YT/podcast cottage industry, especially when it comes to “wellness.”

5 Likes

Ah yes, my partner said I should be taking ginkgo, l-theanine and ashwagandha to name a few. So she suggested I find one that has those in it. So the three i was looking at were a blend of those an many other compounds. I started taking Rotioala (not sure if thats spelled right) but it does help me and yes to magnesium. started taking that for anxiety a couple of years ago and was for sure deficient. it helped a lot.

Agreed on routine and consistent patterns, I’m worst at those even with Adderall :stuck_out_tongue:

“Healthy patterns” in the platonic ideal always run up against needing to be marketplace “productive”, I recognize that outside of working for a company that will pay me enough for a mortgage and a few instruments here and there requires something to get me through the boring drudgery of working on a commercial product I don’t use.

As far as I am aware is supposed to be more a general mood elevator over anything that would help with focus or concentration?

I’m sure you’d have mentioned if you were taking other meds that could have an ill-advised effect, but supplements are one of those things that if they have actual medical effects (or sometimes even not!) can cause complications… people who take St Johns Wort being told it is good as a “natural antidepressant” (which it can be) not being informed that it can cause issues when taken alongside prescription mood stabilizers or that it can negate the effects of birth control pills!

“Nootropic” is one of those overbroad terms designed to lump together a wide variety of pills which may or may not have a purpose beyond that people get wealthy off of shilling uncertified bottles of things they have no legal requirement to back with facts or effects.

1 Like

always always.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s easy to bend it that way for sure.

The way I’ve always put it is that a healthy pattern is one that allows you to do all the things you enjoy as well as being able to operate at work/school/college. No point building a routine that leaves no room for pleasure, but it’s surprising how little focus there can be on such things, especially in Education, where treatments are so geared towards getting through periods of study or exams or whatever.

Sorry, bit OT, go hippy juice or whatever (I’m kidding, try it all, kids, see what works).

3 Likes

it is a bit octatrack but I like it.

2 Likes

I see that as a definite superset of my complaint, I have no arguments with this framing and do not see them entirely separate.

I have issues balancing what I like/love, work, home life, and maintaining all the relationships I want, then conk out, rinse repeat. I’m probably so sniffy and specific about what I like just because I like so much that I can’t help but keep looking for the most interesting (to me) of whatever topic, hobby, or thing to deep dive on.

Coaching always seemed to revolve around a shift to more plodding than I was capable of, so any task management became so obsessively followed that I still didn’t get enough done.

More directly back to topic, @zaezur I obviously do not believe Nooooooooooooootropics are the answer.

But what is the specific problem you are seeking them out for? Defining that is always useful.

1 Like

I advise all to be careful when experimenting with nootropics. Most aren’t of any real harm, but some of the lab created ones, can be insanely addictive. I had tried one that was originally created in Russian labs, think it was called Noopept, and the day after trying a small bit of it, had some intense withdrawals. Haven’t had any thing like that happen before, and I’ve been on a couple of the more popular ADHD meds. Actually blew my mind how irritatable I was the next day after only doing it once. Caution beware.

2 Likes

Yeah, the conflation of vitamins people used to believe they had deficiencies of (and may have in the past with proper nutrition, less of an excuse now that we have better resource availability) with whatever analogs or mislabeled drugs compounding pharmacies can shit out overseas is always important.

None of the podcast scene give two shits that their “anti soyboy brain tonic” is made mostly of soy, and none of the counterfeit drug peddlers care about your safety. Nobody’s going to extradite them for harm.

4 Likes

L-Theanine, Magnesium, Ashwaganda, Zinc, Vitamin D, Vitamin C, CBD.

All of those have reasonable studies on efficacy, but don’t expect to turn into Eddie Morra.

Also get reputable brands - there is a lot of fake and low quality crap out there.
Get correct dosage too, high dosage not better especially when starting.

2 Likes

Yerba Mate has been called “nature’s adderall”. It’s a different effect than coffee or green/black tea. I would definitely recommend giving it a try.

1 Like

if you listen to your body and provide it with what it needs, you will no longer need to listen to external sources telling you what you need :massage_man:

I listen to my body all the time.

And do you know what my body is saying?

“Who wants cake?”

12 Likes

Yerba Mate is so far as I understand suggested for purpose of winding down and relaxation, not stimulation/concentration.

Wouldn’t it have the opposite effect to what they are seeking?

I have absolutely never heard it referred to as “Nature’s Adderall” :stuck_out_tongue:

Anxiety, people seeking un-caffeinated beverages to avoid caffeine jitters if they are sensitive, sure! I enjoyed it a few times for relaxation purposes.

That’s the problem, efficacy on what, dietary insufficiencies maybe but none of them are stimulants in the sense that someone with AUDHD difficulties would find a specific focus improved by whatever psychoactive effects (for those listed that actually have any known and notable psychoactive effect.)

totally. I’ve never found nootropics to do anything for me, tho in my own personal experiments around 10 years ago with supplements i stumbled upon tianeptine. a as of then seemingly harmless compound. was amazing, and addictive as fk. turns out it’s very much an opiate, so no wonder it felt good. the withdrawals are no joke.

getting off that was hell on earth. 3 months of intense withdrawls. beat the sh1t out of me it did. n took a further 2 years of nasty malaise & exhaustion to get properly out of my system.

be warned. it taught me a lesson. no more crazy experimenting for me. I’m a good boy now 🤦😅

2 Likes

I tried the nootropic approach, and I didn’t feel any difference.

I also have an addiction disorder, so I have just let adhd run free for awhile.

People’s experience vary. Some can hone in on their symptoms and utilize them, and others suffer terribly. Through my personal research and experience, some days are worse than others & what may work for some, will not work for all.

I wrote a list of issues I have with adhd & possible solutions, fortunately for me, there’s not a lot in my life I must pay attention to, but I would be further in life if I did.

Observe what changes and write it all down, positive and negative. Try different approaches and learn more tools to utilize for yourself. Perhaps a few sessions with a licensed practitioner who can better explain ways to function without medication.

Good decision to quit though, adderall is a wrecker. Nootropics are just too expensive and never did anything, no matter how long I took them or what combination.

1 Like