Noob questions

You have amp volume (pre fx level) and track level (post effect level) on each track and you also have main level (open mixer menu or shortcut [Function] + [Level]).
Potentially master track level, too!

Also gain in the AED for the sample.

3 Likes

Cheers i will go through them all to see which works best.

I usually leave my amp volume for all tracks at zero (to have it available for p-locking, mimicking velocity) and I have my kick drum track at 100. All other tracks are set lower than 100.
Main level is at zero, master track at 127 (to avoid problems when resampling). Everything below 127 on the master track attenuates level.

4 Likes

Great advice. This will save me a load of time. They should use this as an example in the manual. Cheers so much!

1 Like

Confused, how to stop a looping sample playing when I switch patterns/parts?

• In pattern A09, part 3, track 4 has a flex machine playing the looped sample.
  • In pattern A13, part 4, track 4 has a static machine with no sample assigned.

But I still hear the sample from A09 looping, and at a different tempo. I’m missing something!
If I mute the track with A13 playing it stops.

Unfortunately the sample I want to use is a bit too short for the 16 bar pattern at the tempo I’m using so I have to loop it to avoid an audio gap at the end of my pattern.

Answered my own question. Put a trig on the first step of track 4 (part 4). Stops the previous sample looping. Thank you god of experimentation :pray:

1 Like

There’s also the ‘start silent’ option in the pattern settings. [Funct]+[Bank] when grid recording is not active, scroll to the track you want to edit and there’s your ‘start silent’.

With start silent on, when you switch to a pattern linked to a different part, samples will automatically enter the release phase and stop on that track.

Not sure if this also works with looped sample, though. I always control playback manually with trigs.

2 Likes

Thanks didn’t know about that!

Yes I would normally too, just in this case needed it looping to repeat the first hit at the end (it’s an amen)

1 Like

I’ll add Amp Hold plocking, set in steps. Can stop sample playing, with additional release set to taste.

It should.

3 Likes

@Schnork @sezare56 There’s always at least 3 ways with the Octa isn’t there!
Appreciated :+1:

1 Like

Does anybody ever tried to ‘expand’ the Octatrack inputs by using a Y cable ? Currenlty i’m using an external mixer and i’m trying to trim my setup a bit but i need two more inputs. Can a passive Y cable work for this ? I know it’s not the best solution, but as i only need 2 more inputs, using an external mixer is a overkill. It would be used only in live situations as in the studio i have an interface with more channels. I just would like to not having to carry an external mixer with my rig.

A splitter cable splits, it can’t mix…but what about the Bastl Dude? Tiny, battery operated mixer. :slight_smile:
Dude is mono, but saturates lovely when driven hard.

1 Like

My ART SplitMix4 has been reliable and quiet as a passive splitter/mixer. Not as cheap as a Y-cable, but at about $66 it can fit into some peeps’ budgets

2 Likes

Any issues when doing this?

Actually currently i’m using this little mixer, does the job very well. But what i’m trying to do is to cut the mixer from the setup, but it’s impossible as i’d need 2 more inputs.

Oh, I see. You’re not looking for a splitter at all. Just something to add more input options. Yeah I guess a Y-cable might do it.

@darenager used to make really, really small mixers.

Assuming the reason you want to cut the MakerHart mixer from your rig is to save space in whatever you are using to transport your rig.

1 Like

Using headphones as main out ?
@tsutek use it this way IIRC.
Some audio purists may say it not possible because it’s not made for that. I’d say just try it and compare with main out.

1 Like

Yes, i was trying to reduce things to carry to gigs, but it seems the mixer is not a candidate for that unless i reduce other things that need inputs :-p

Some mixers daren made a few years ago - should give you an idea of how tiny they are

I never could configure the Octa’s delay to ping pong (move in the stereo field). Even if turn on the first parameter (X), the delay is always mono. Any secret here ?