Noob questions

Would do minimum of reading :open_book: all those questions are black on white in the manual. Search the pdf for instant replies.

3 Likes

1 Default recording folder is AUDIO, created with a set. You can choose active project as recording folder.
If you want to add a sample slot you have access to any folder of the set.
So you can use a personal folder.

2 = Spacializer, eventually Chorus, Flanger, Delay…

3 = lfo on BAL (Amp page)

4-5 = Manual :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Thanks for the answers, i really need to RTFM :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

no you don’t, just ask @sezare56
:rofl:

10 Likes

Not anymore, I’m going to sail a few days ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I hope I won’t receive internet.
I’ll do my best, I’ll try not to answer if I receive it. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

@sezare56 should be getting paid for these one on one lessons.

4 Likes

I like picturing you answering OT questions by mobile out in the ocean on a boat…
Someone is having tech trouble with some complex machine and its some guy far away in a sailboat out in the water that helps them out… Haha… :smile:

13 Likes

Hey @sezare56, please take your mobile with you so you can answer my questions anywhere, please !

4 Likes

I was there today and strangely I didn’t turn my mobile on. :smile:

Houat Island

Morbihan Gulf

24 Likes

Woah that looks amazing, my kind of place. Where you at?

2 Likes

If you want to stay in hardware and can solder or know someone who can, this works well and is a pretty easy build and small/compact/fun:

I under-use mine because I don’t have a good enclosure for it so the button caps fall off easily, but it works well. Basically like a four track audio looper except with MIDI data instead of audio. So you can live-record and overdub MIDI on any of the four tracks like you would with audio on something like an EHX 2880, then quantize, re-channel, realtime transpose, or edit the MIDI data on any given track, bounce between tracks, and create arrangements out of multiple 4 track patterns in its song mode, pretty much all without stopping playback. I haven’t really used mine with the OT but it has a lot of potential there. Record complex MIDI arrangements in the MidiREX in real time and then use the output of the OT sequencer to transpose the REX, for example. I think someone on the Mutable Instruments forum designed an enclosure for it and made free files available to have it made by Ponoko or a similar laser cutting company, but I haven’t done it yet.

EDIT: the Ponoko-compatible EPS file for the case is now official so you don’t have to dig it up on the Mutable forums after all.

4 Likes

I just found out that i can’t use MP3 files on the Octa. I have tons of samples (specially acapellas) on 320kbps MP3s that i’ll need to convert.

I don’t see why it can’t support MP3 files, it’s a lot lower in size and actually the quality difference of a 320kbps MP3 and a WAV is very subtle…

Any special reason to not support MP3s ?

1 Like

Mp3 should be banned everywhere :sunglasses::earth_asia::wave:t2:

9 Likes

Just batch convert to wav and move on

5 Likes

Bc the machine is limited. Decoding MP3 to PCM format and thrn mangling would require way more RAM and a little more number crunching. The OT operates at short to full throttle already, no way of implementing this.

And no one would like to have the artifacts that would accure when mangling this. You do not hear them at 320 full rate. Now play back at quarter speed… mention something?
Tjere is a reason this machine and ALL OTHER PRO GEAR operates with uncompressed and morr important: lossless material.

3 Likes

You can use Amadeus or probably even Audacity to batch convert them all :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok about the MP3 question, i’ll move on and convert everything.

About effects : is there a way to put effects not after the sound, but like a Send / Return chain ? In Ableton you have two modes of using effects, let’s say a delay :

1 - Put the delay right after the sound generator.
2 - Put the delay in a Return chain, and Send the sound generator to the Return chain ; in this mode you have one specific audio channel only with the effects, something like the Rytm does.

Is there a way to do the mode 2 using the Octa ?

Thanks

Yes with CUE send.
Use a Flex machine, its recorder recording CUE, add fx and you have send / return fx.

13 Likes

Do i need to sacrifice a channel to do this ?

Nice view ! :smiley:

Yes, this uses a track. It’s totally worth it, though, having reverb (or delay) as a send effect makes a big difference in how “finished” the mix coming out of the OT sounds. Way more useful than a master track IMO, I almost always devote track 8 to this.

Another option is to use another piece of gear, patch the cue outs to its inputs and its outputs to a pair of inputs on the OT, and then use the DIR level for that pair of inputs in the mixer as your effects return level and you won’t have to sacrifice a track (but you will sacrifice a pair of inputs and have to use a second piece of hardware).

Both approaches have advantages and disadvantages. I used to use the OTO BAM on the cue outs for my send effect and it sounded great but ultimately for me it usually makes more sense to use track 8 as an internal send so I can free up inputs, since these days I use the OT to sequence and live sample/process synths more than for playing and mangling samples saved on the OT itself, so inputs are more important than tracks.

5 Likes