Non modular additions to DFAM

Hey frenz! Just picked up a DFAM. So far I love it but obvz it needs more things with it. Was gonna grab a beat step pro to spice up the sequencing. But I also just need more voices to play with. In trying to stay more tabletop techno centric does anyone have any suggestions on some non modular additions I can make to this setup. Semi modular mono synths or drum machines with cv capabilities? I could pick up a moog Subharmonicon or M32 but that seems a little obvious. Someone nearby was selling malekko manther. Maybe that? Are there any smaller format drum machines with cv outs that pair well with DFAM? Iā€™m a little out of the loop for non elektron stuff.

Are you looking to do CV modulation or mainly just sync/gate/triggers?

The Roland TR-06 has a bunch of trigger outs with probability in the sequencer which is a really nice feature to have.

The SE-02 has trigger out and in as well, and its own (kind of fiddly) sequencer. Sounds great, nice built in delay as well.

Manther is a kind of SH101 homage but seems a little unfinished, not sure if theyā€™ve sorted some of the issues (thereā€™s a thread on here) but the boutique SH-01A is probably a better bet for that sound. That takes triggers for advancing its sequencer, lots of fun to be had there.

Analog Four is great for CV / sequencing. Mk1 isnā€™t too big or expensive, but the A4 generally is a more complicated kind of box (sounds like thatā€™s maybe not what you want).

Dreadbox Erebus/Nyx are cool analogue semi modular synths that would pair nicely but they donā€™t have their own sequencers. A Beatstep Pro or Keystep Pro would take care of that nicely though.

5 Likes

Maybe the mb2s from arturia. Sequencer is a lot like the beatstep pro but also has a full monosynth and tons of semi-modular functionality. Thereā€™s also the keyboard version but itā€™s sequencer is stripped down comparatively.
Theyā€™re a bit on the large side but otherwise seems like a good fit for you.

2 Likes

You can get a clock out of 1010 Blackbox and quickly record/ loop your sequences. Unfortunately you canā€™t sequence or quantize externally without a midi to cv converter.

Behringer Crave? Silly money synth with great cv options and sounds very nice.

1 Like

The Roland TR8s sync out will send swing to your DFAM. Itā€™s pretty great for clock.

And of course the Sq-1 is a no brainer as well.

Didnā€™t even think of the sq1! Or the crave! Been thinking of a Roland drum machine but to date Iā€™ve not been the biggest fan of their workflow but theyā€™re new stuff has me curious.

Yea Iā€™m mainly looking for things with interesting trigger and clock sync division options to spice up the DFAM and and maybe some effects to process audio too. Dreadbox stuff seems interesting.

Thanks for all the advice! Got plenty to think about.

Iā€™ve been having fun with the 0-Coast, but thatā€™s admittedly pretty modular. Still, it is normalized and Iā€™ve had success using the DFAM sequencer to control the 0-Coast and also patching various 0-Coast outs to DFAM. Makes for a tidy little conversation between the two that is endlessly tweakableā€¦

Edit: And I just picked up an 0-Ctrl, which has the potential to ā€˜giveā€™ more to the DFAM in terms of sequencing and modulationā€“so itā€™s a trio now (or a thrupleā€¦)

+1 on that, itā€™s like the perfect semimodular companion imo. Also provides additional voices, filter, FX, etcā€¦

2 Likes

I just recently sold my A4 mk1 and whereas itā€™s cv sequencing wouldā€™ve been useful Iā€™m looking for something ā€œsimplerā€ than elektron for my DFAM companion. I considered the Manther cuz it be a nice sh-101 like bass line/ lead line generator and maybe provide some patchplay with the dfam BUT that was before I considered the crave and/ or neutron. Is there no love for Subharmonicon? I havenā€™t got to play one yet but it does seem like a better M32 - which I have played and I was ā€œmehā€ about it. Def want this next purchase under $700 tho fwiw.

Edit: also o-coast is a contender tho I think Iā€™d be into dreadbox before i I get into o-coast

1 Like

I use a few things - Itā€™s a bit of a shame you sold your A4mk1ā€¦

1. A4 mk1. Allows for a lot of possibilities because you can clock the DFAM - run the DFAM back through the inputs on the FX track and then you can really go bonkers in multiple ways. Itā€™s nice to back up the DFAM sounds with some other really solid A4 drum sounds. As you no doubt know you can also use trigs instead of just regular clock to break away from the more static 8 step sequence on the DFAM and then you can start getting into weirder timings / synchronicity. So in my opinion a DFAM and A4 are perfect partners and the cheapest (MK1) most powerful option in this respect.

2. 0Coast + 0CTRL. The 0Coast is a really special mono synth with a wide range of possibilities for such a seemingly limited unit but I prefer it with FX. I donā€™t think youā€™ll get far enough with just an 0Coast but that depends on what you like or what kind of music you make I guess. Adding a 0CTRL makes a huge difference in terms of sequencing but also provides a lot of fun and unpredictability together with a DFAM. These 3 together are a brilliant option and Iā€™ve been using this combo more than any other recently. Itā€™s just so much fun.

Iā€™ve also used just the Keystep to sequence the DFAM/0Coast to see what I can get out of them and this provided some great results too but I prefer the 0CTRL. In fact I think the 0CTRL is a genius piece of gear.

I donā€™t know much about Dreadbox gear but from what Iā€™ve reviewed online a Typhon would sound awesome with the DFAM but then youā€™ll need to control them / sync things. There are plenty of ways to do that of courseā€¦

2 Likes

I have DFAM/0-Coast and theyā€™re a great combo. How do you like to patch the 0CTRL into the mix?

You could have a look at

• Quadrantid Swarm
  • Pittsburg Lifeforms SV-1(b) Blackbox

Both semi modulars, not drummachines, but thatā€™s the two Iā€™ve been eyeballing some times :slight_smile:

1 Like

Rather than me explain the myriad options there are, I think itā€™s worth watching the MylarMelodies demo of the 0CTRL if you havenā€™t already? I found the video really inspiring to the point I bought the 0CTRL based almost on this aloneā€¦ Plus I always wanted a sequencer that got away from traditional static linear tracking > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpj1fxSnolY

In short though, I sometimes break up the 8 steps on the DFAM simply by using the ā€˜timeā€™ function by dialling in different time steps and then by using the ā€˜strengthā€™ per step and depending on which patch point you patch out of the 0CTRL into 0Coast itā€™s possible to put more or less emphasis on certain notes and then you can get some more interesting syncopation going on. It can sound really off and wonky at times but it can also give some brilliant surprises. Basically everything can be patched/ stack patched and dialled in on the fly and it getā€™s you away from the limited a to b of the 8 steps on the DFAM. You can also use the 0CTRL as a kind of keyboard and patch the finger board to modulate a step on the DFAM as and when you play it, which again opens up a lot more possibilities for manipulating the DFAM sounds by step. In a way you can look at it as another way of ā€˜playingā€™ the DFAM. All in all the immediacy of the DFAM and what you can do with the 0CTRL is really quite incredible.

6 Likes

ƀ Minibrute 2 s ?

You would get sequencing and (very capable) synth voice at once.

Cv.ocd is a good box if you want to just add more control from an external midi sequencer.

1 Like

Wow - Iā€™m halfway thru that 0-CTRL demo and Iā€™m already mesmerized. Same goes for the the o-coast itself every time I hear that thing I want it. Hmm maybe the west coast is the best way goā€¦ hmmm kinda feel like thatā€™ll almost certainly drive me into buying a eurorack case and spending the next year of my life immersed in modules tho, haha

1 Like

Lots of love here <3 I started with DFAM, then Subharmonicon, then Mother-32. Theyā€™re all brilliant!. I donā€™t think you give the M32 enough credit though. The 2.0 features are great and the sequencer is pretty fun to noodle with live. Iā€™d give the 2.0 feature update a look through on YouTube.

Currently, Iā€™m enjoying running the SubH into the M32. Theyā€™re pairing well together. All three have great synergy though. :slight_smile:

Also, these 3 have been my gateway drug. Iā€™ve since bought several euro rack modules that Iā€™ll be putting into custom cases this very weekend! Stoked!

1 Like

for sure, great with Octatrack. Keeps your toes out of eurorack, but is also handy if you ever trip and fall in head first.

What other gear do you have? Thatā€™d be great information to know, as there are things out there (like cv.ocd) that could bridge gaps and keep you focused without having to go full euro.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been scaling down quite a bit. No more analog four or octatrack. All I have left of my old setup is a digitone and an op-z. Which btw is a great combo. Itā€™s my lil ā€œwanna be late 90ā€™s Autechreā€ rig. I get in different music making moods. Some days I canā€™t vibe with the Elektron teenage engineering school of thought and on those days i find I gel more with the more hands on approach of analog semi modulars. I guess sometimes i just donā€™t want patch memory or kits or patterns I just want to play more like an instrument and so far this DFAM is really scratching that itch and I want to expand on that a little without fully immersing myself into the euro rack world.

Upon writing this Iā€™m realizing i could probably utilize the op-z op lab with my DFAM for sequencing and soon as my partner and I are done rearranging our closet I think ima try it out.