Non modular additions to DFAM

Maybe something that has a similar beastly sound? Jomox Xbase?
What do you feel is missing? More drums? Synth? Fx pedals?

Iā€™ve spent my first week in semi modular land with the neutron. Iā€™m losing hours and coming up
Blissfully happy. Itā€™s also causing me to record loads of shit into ableton, a rather fortuitous side effect of no patch recall, and something I donā€™t find myself regularly doing when messing around with vstā€™s.
Itā€™s possible Iā€™ve found my niche with semi modular instantaneous gear.
Think Iā€™m gonna grab a dfam and try and pair it with the neutron. Has anyone done this? Are they happy together?

So Iā€™ve been pondering adding something to my DFAM to turn it into a proper monosynth. I donā€™t want to go full modular, nor do I wish to add two or more synths to the setup. I can live with limited modulation, given I can always spice things up with the Oxi One CV outs. Iā€™d love the resulting duo to be useful for bass, drones and ambient, leads are optional. I dislike acid filters. Any suggestions?

My ideas so far:

• I toyed with the idea of an Erebus V3, but that seems to be a more self-contained device despite the patch bay, you canā€™t even get separate outs for oscillators without some modding

• I could get the Erica Synths EDU system, thatā€™s super expensive and time consuming, but will give me lots of experience and understanding

• I could just get a Neutron (or wait for the Proton) for the utilities and a saw oscillator

• The Minibrute 2S has a nice sequencer that I donā€™t need, not sure itā€™s worth it over the Neutron in this case

My favourite semimodular synth is still the Make Noise 0-Coast, had it for years. It provides a little miniMaths for utilities, has random sample and hold, LFOs, envelope outs, so really quite useful for other semi modular synths, but also just sounds so cool (imo, at least, depends on if you like that wavefold-y sound).

2 Likes

for live manipulating beats, a doepfer dark time sequencer is very solid and hands on and can be combined with a second dfam. its also a good midi to cv interface.

for more crazy sequences, a makenoise 0-ctrl might be a good alternative, though without midi.

or you combine a dfam with a digitakt, you can sample different sounds and sequence them.

fx wise id suggest an analog heat. and get a tuner to tune the dfam sounds to the right pitch.

1 Like