Noise on Analog Heat drives me crazy

Hello I Know there are some Topics about it, but it has not helped.

I have an AH +FX (and also a AH MK1). And I can not handle the noise. With the +FX could be more Noise compared to the MK1.

My Setup:
Midas F32 Firewire Mixer connected to Ableton and in the Master Inserts from the mixer there is the AH inserted, (I already loose 6db compared to nothing in the Inserts.

My Workflow:
For recording my Tracks I can use Hardware or Ableton Signals. The Signal goes always over the Master channel from the Mixer (and of course the Inserted AH) and is then Recorded in Ableton.
The Recorded Summ will be the amplified 
 and Limited in Ableton. The Ceiling of the limiter is -1 and the preferred Gain Reduction is something like -3db. Then it will be rendered.
If I then listend to the rendered Audiofile (Especially via my iPhone with Headphones) The Signal is noisy. When there is no music but also with music.

I get good results (No or Less Noise) with nothing patched in the Master Inserts, I can get good results with the unit in bypass and I can get good results with the “Heat Block” in Bypass.

I use “Clean Boost” In the Heat and actually I use the filter most, theoretically I can live without the Distortion Unit but I need the Filter.

Please help me out. I run OS 1.01.

Thank you

What do you have ‘INPUT SENSITIVITY’ set to in the AH? Do you have it set incorrectly and are boosting the noise floor with improper gain staging?

1 Like

what kind of noise?
Can you mage a screenshot from the spectrum?

Also, check the Warble FX to see if Noise is off.

There is no noise coming from outside. The noise is generated in the heat. The input sensitivity is correct, a little headroom to over.

I can check later, when I am back in the studio.

All fx are off. Only the „heat block“ is active.

1 Like

it’s relevant, because if you encounter harmonics this is a sign, that you have a ground loop. Happened to me often, when I connected gear that has both analog input and outputs. Solution was a little ground breaking device before the input.

Edit: Also interesting: if you only connect the analog out to your interface without any cable to the analog inputs, is this noise still there?

It sounds like white noise.

it may sound like white noise in some cases, because the general noise level is also increased in the above mentioned scenario.

Ok. You mean something like a DI box, between AH out and insert „back to mixer“ right?
I have DI boxes in my studio, I can try this later.

an audio snippet of the noise, so we can hear it, would also help

3 Likes

Yes, I can also send later, when I am back in the studio.

I use this one.
But remove your input cables first to check your noise level baseline.

Between heat out and insert return?

isn’t there a literal noise gate in the analog heat?

Yes it is, but the noise is also in the signal itself.

doesn’t matter if it’s before the input or after the output, it just needs to break the circle.

Ok cool, I will try later (with the di boxes) thank you all.

If one needs that without doing crazy things, then something is wrong :wink:

1 Like