Noise on Analog Heat drives me crazy

Just a quick reply, Electron uses Switching Mode Power Suply.

Check if it is possible to change to linear VDC12 volt like a Sboost mk2 12/13v

In The netherland you can get it for less then 300,-

But please dubble check!
Ps. You might want to experiment with turning in the amp screen volume to 0 and then modulate the VCA!drive.

This powersupply is even better and is a bit expensive but maybe you can also experiment with your mixer?

Good luck and let us know the improvements Please :slight_smile:

This is an Audio Example and it is limited in Ableton with -1 db Ceiling and ca. 3db Gain Reduction.

2 Ultra DI and the Palmer Isolator has also not changed anything with the noise.

I have Inserted it between the Heat Output and the Insert Return. Keep in mind I have unbalanced Inserts.

Are you saying your signal is coming into the interface and registering -1dB? If so, that’s pretty hot, I don’t let mine hit the interface at more than -10dB. You potentially have a gainstaging issue.

1. What is the input sensitivity of the Heat set to?

2. What is the master volume output of the Heat set to?

3. What is the gain of the interface inputs set to that the Heat output is going into?

I record the signal with something like -10db in Ableton.
In Ableton I put the limiter on the recorded signal (ceiling -1, gain reduction ca. 3db) and then render it.

Ok I understand but what about my questions? Maybe I can help.

1. Now, the input sensitivity is low. It has a small headroom. (I tried also with weaker signals out of the mixer and changed the input sensitivity to high, always with a little headroom)

2. the main volume poti is set to max.

3. the interface is a mixer. It shows on the mixer between 0 and +6db. And on the Ableton recording channel -7.

4. additional infos from the heat:
    Clean boost, no Drive, level 127, mix 100% wet, volume 127, output gain +18, comp make up gain +3.

This gain settings „sounds“ more or less same loud if I put out the inserts from the mixer.

It sounds to me that you are probably amplifying the noise floor. I think you need to adjust your gain staging at a few different points.

Why are you using clean boost at 100% wet but with no drive? That is not a normal use case. If you add any drive with those settings, you will definitely start clipping…

I have other thoughts, we can talk on the phone if you’d like to troubleshoot.

1 Like

Wow, phone would be great. If you like you can give me your number. Or should I give you mine?

Propably you are right with the gainstaging.

Actually I don’t need the distortion unit itself. I just need the filter (and the other fx)

Done for today. I am not 100% satisfied but now it’s better for me than earlier today.

I changed the drive from 0 to 60 or so
I putted the comp before heat and turn the make up gain to 6 or so
(This combination gives me a good „working level“ without increasing the noise)

And I turned down the (wet) level from 127 to 60 or so. (Only to match the level for bypass)

I still need to find out the „perfect balance“ between distortion and noise.

Thanks @Hawk for pushing me in this direction.

5 Likes

THIS is what separates this forum from all others - amazingly supportive and helpful. Love it!

8 Likes