Noise/glitch/pop problem on syntakt through overbridge

Not sure whether to post this here; or under the Overbridge topic - But When I connect my Syntakt through overbridge in Ableton Live, I get frequent pops/glitches/noise bursts. Almost like a “low cpu” glitch kind of… In my mind, this must have happened after the latest software update. the Raw Saw/Swarm update. Can’t remember that this has been a problem before…

Does anyone else have the same problem or good ideas? Ableton Live on M1 Macbook Pro. Cpu is steady at 20% on the puter…

Sound sample; glitchy.wav - Google Drive

Did you update Overbridge aswell?

Yeah, it was incpompatible befare i did that …

Sounds like sample rate / sync mismatch. When I dont sync my adat expansion it sounds kind of similar. But i am PC User so if it is Apple related i dunno.

I thought this would be a thread on making noise glitch pop music.

8 Likes

Update for further reference; this is most likely an OSX / Macbook pro M1 / Ableton issue - and not related to the Syntakt.

…and that there was a problem with these genres.

I appear to have the same problem, with the same hardware.

No similar glitches when I listen via USB Audio.

I’m using the latest Overbridge as of yesterday, and with the 1.20a firmware.

Same problem here.

I’ve raised a support ticket, and have sent them some logs.

1 Like

Updated all possible things (Syntakt, audio interface soft&firmware, OSX), and the situation is better, but the glitches are not gone. Digitakt and A4 seem to work fine with the same setup.

I’ve upgraded to latest/greatest: Syntakt 1.20A, Overbridge 2.5.1 and am running OSX on a Mac Mini M1 and am experiencing the same issue.

When listening through the headphone output I don’t hear any of these pops… Maybe it’s an Syntakt/Overbridge issue?

Did you ever find a solution for this?

1 Like

No, I’m still seeing the problem, so I’m using it in USB Audio/MIDI mode, when connected to the computer.

Update; I also experience this on the Digitakt on OSX and Macbook PRO M1. Everything updated to latest, version - and firmware wise. Overbridge is totally useless at the moment. @verdurin - did you hear back from them on the support ticket?

I have this same exact issue on an m1 Max Studio desktop using an Analog Rytm mkII, I’ve been reading about a lot of audio issues concerning the m1 machines so my current assumption is that it’s either a bug in Overbridge or an issue that is effecting all m1 / m2 hardware currently. I’ve tried every buffer and latency and sample rate combination under the sun. It’s my third day of trying to troubleshoot the issue and I’m about to throw my hands up.

To elaborate, I have tried using my mkII on an intel MacBook Pro and it works flawlessly

No, I haven’t heard anything new on the support ticket since I sent the logs.

I’ve tried on a much older Intel laptop, and saw a similar problem that I suspect is down to its extreme age.

I’ve tested this workflow on an i9 and a new M2 Max, both had 64gb of ram or above and both of them work flawlessly. One is older and less powerful but an intel (and 64gb of ram) the other is a m2 max with 96gb of ram.

I believe there is a bug in the way audio is being processed either through the OS or with Overbridge which effects M1 and possibly M2 Macs with less than 32gb of ram. My desktop was only showing 1-7 percent used CPU so it should be able to handle this kind of work. I’ve tried everything but have found this interesting article over at Apple:

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/132423?page=23

it seems it might be a larger problem than just Overbridge. I believe many people are having related issues without realizing the core problem of the issue.

if you speak with them point them to the article below. Tell them I’m happy to send of video of the issue happening! I tested this on both Monterey and Ventura and both are having the same exact issue.

This is also happening on my M1 Max Studio with 32GB of RAM with an Analog Rytm MKII. I’ve tried using Monterey and Ventura and the issue is exactly the same. It’s either an Overbridge issue or a deeper flaw with M1 chips I’ve concluded. Take a look at this also:

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/132423?page=23

UPDATE:

For anyone interested in following me on my adventure. I have been reading this and it seems people are reporting no more stutters on Sonoma Beta:

I’m going to update my machine to Sonoma this evening and test this issue out again. Will let you know if I have any luck!

UPDATE 2:

On Sonoma Beta 3 the problem is even worse. I’m now assuming this is fully an Overbridge issue that needs to be fixed.

UPDATE 3:

Spoke with Elektron support and they shared a previous version of Overbridge which seems to fix my issue:

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/se-elektron-devops/release/e426d082-2b6c-557a-a4c8-9a198e04f700/Elektron_Overbridge_2.3.9.dmg

Let me know if you have the same results! Definitely something going on with 2.5.1 and M1 computers at the moment!