Noise/glitch/pop problem on syntakt through overbridge

Hi,

just got a reply from Elektron support with the suggestion to downgrade to Overbridge 2.3.9 and it did help to resolve my issues on MacBook M1 Pro. I was also thinking that it’s an Apple problem since I get some audio stuttering on internal sound card during high memory pressure but the glitches were happening only with Ableton and Overbridge software running on an i7/32GB RAM. Anyways I’m happy that there is a progress in this case.

1 Like

Does that mean downgrading the firmware on the boxes as well then?

Answer to my own question is “no”. Overbridge 2.3.9 from the link above works with Syntakt firmware 1.20.

Also, the problem seems to be gone, after having played around with this overbridge version for about an hour or so.

Macbook Pro M1 PRO, running Ventura , Ableton Live 11.3 Beta - Waiting for a permanent OB fix for this then!

Well, scratch my previous reply. I have done more elaborate testing, and the pops & crackles are there, but not as prominent. Still not workable for a recording situation for any “professional” work, or something you’d like to publish.

But now that I’m aware of it and have started listening, I also hear the it outside of Ableton as well, so ut’s probably a M1/Apple issue in my case. Almost can’t believe this is a problem with the PRO series M1s - this must be the flagship for the creative side of the Apple customer base?

Thank you a lot, that just solved a great deal of concern to me !

1 Like

Can confirm that the older Overbridge version at the very least makes the problem a lot less evident for me on an M1 Pro machine.
Been able to try it on an M1 machine, and it works fine even with Overbridge 2.5.1 (in terms of there being no crackles/pops) so it does appear to be specific to M1 Pro/Max, in my experience.

1 Like

If it’s of any use to you when I updated to 11.3 beta the glitching itself of 2.5.1 was a lot worse!

1 Like

Same issue with my M1 Pro, even running OB 2.3.9.

I’m not sure what to do. I really need to finish this track! It’s arranged in song mode, but there’s no way it’ll make it through an entire 3 minutes without glitching. :sob:

1 Like

I feel you, overbridge is useless for any serious work at the moment on my M1. You could get a simple audio interface to capture the outs. But if your work relies on processing or recording individual tracks through overbridge … :upside_down_face:

I may have just gotten lucky, but I took an hour break with the device powered down and Ableton closed. Then I came back, turned on the Syntakt, launched Ableton with a new project (just the Syntakt template) and it recorded fine.

I was going to see if switching to 48 KHz would make a difference, but maybe it’s not necessary.

Unfortunately the song isn’t done yet! Well, it basically is, but I haven’t nailed down the performance aspects. So now I’m going to program EVERYTHING including all the knob movements with song mode and see if I can’t get it to work again.

Fwiw!

Bah, of course when it actually counts it doesn’t work. It started glitching after 2 minutes, I switched to 48, and then it started within the first minute.

I need the individual tracks and I really don’t want to record them separately over the line outs.

I’m heading down another path -I found this article:

And then started wondering about my USB hub… Sure enough it’s a USB 2.0 hub with 7 ports (all full). I did some quick tests by unplugging everything in that hub and I think the popping sounds are gone (only 10 minutes of testing mind you).

I’ve got a proper USB 3.0 hub coming, so I’ll test it with both my Syntakt and Digitakt connected through it and see if that fixes the issue… Keeping my fingers crossed, will advise.

Well, even though I have a new USB 3.0 hub, it still shows up in OSX as a USB 2.1 hub, not exactly sure why - I’m sure there are reasons, perhaps the Elektron boxes are only USB 2.1 devices?

I’ve done some listening with both the Digitakt and Syntakt plugged into the new USB hub and haven’t noticed any more audio glitches.

Maybe this will help others… I’ll be sure to report back if audio troubles return…

Same problem here, with Digitakt and Syntakt - MacBook Pro M1 Pro 16g
I hope new OB updates will fix it even if downgrading to 2.3.9 solved 99% of the problem

I have tried different USB hubs and no success. Issue is still there =(

I stopped using Overbridge with the Syntakt in Ableton (on my MacBook Pro 16" M1) a while back due to having the same issues with stuttering audio, pops, glitches etc, but I fancied trying it again yesterday just to see if this had been rectified, and it’s even worse now with the latest update. :slight_smile:

I’ve tried both the Caldigit Element hub and an Electron Overhub.

Ableton is now crashing when I click the spanner icon to show/hide plugin panel on the channel strip.

I don’t actually think I’ve EVER had Overbridge fully working over the years. It never worked for me properly with my Digitakt or Digitone, and I got that tired/bored/pissed off trying, that it made me sell both units at the time.

1 Like

Having these noise/glitch/pop problems with the Syntakt and Analog Rytm on M1 Max and M2 Macs. Everything is on the latest version.

I’ve tried with various USB hubs. Overbridge, Caldigit, Anker.

The Apple directly connected to the USB-C port seems to be the best, but still glitchg sometimes. Seems like it happens often when I interact with Ableton. But hard to pinpoint a pattern.

Did anyone find a fix?

Do people use Overbridge at all?

1 Like

I emailed Elektron about it and was sent a hot fix or beta.

That was a couple months ago, and to be honest, haven’t had a chance to use it yet.

Maybe shoot them an email! They are always helpful.

It was a known Mac Silicone problem with overbridge.

I just ended up using the sp 404 as an audio interface via usb, and ran the 1/4 inches

1 Like