No New Gear Year 2023 AKA NGNY 2023

That makes sense. I might make this a Logic deep dive month. It’s about time for me to start really learning this thing. Every time I see ppl saying how great it is I feel a sting in my heart hehehe. I’ll actually start right now gosh darn it!! :rofl:

Thanks for the inspiration buddy!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Strutter as well
In 2020 I decided I was finally going to learn Logic well and got the Apple Pro Training series certification book. It’s basically just a series of project exercises where it teaches you all the basic functions. It doesn’t go as deep as you might expect, but I found it great as a way to get familiar with a lot of stuff I probably never would have touched. It’s not a cheap book, but recommended if you are looking to learn it pretty well. Once you get through all those exercises, I found that YouTube tutorials were good for filling in missing gaps.

2 Likes

We have veered way off topic now, but MusicTechHelpGuy is probably the definitive YouTube channel for Logic if you want to learn it that way.

5 Likes

Sign me up! I want to release some music this year and I have more than enough gear to make that happen.

7 Likes

Although I try not to buy anything, I will look into this, thanks for the recommendation!

That’s a great channel! I’ve been watching his videos in the past and I think it’s time to return to that channel for another round. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Get signed up here too: Your Commitment to Releasing Something in 2023

5 Likes

Stop it Please :smiley:

You are making me try to get back to Logic. It wouldn’t even cost me anything, but time :wink:

I will stay strong and keep using Ableton for the same reasons mentioned above, logic for me seems to be so extremely packed that it’s really overwhelming and I feel that Ableton is better suited for working completely ITB. I also really like the streamlined look of everything and the “one-window-approach” as it makes it much more easy to navigate for me. I found it especially irritating when opening different instances of the same plug-in or synth in Logic. With the internal stuff in Ableton this problem is simply not existant.

2 Likes

Interestingly, I just signed up for the Ableton trial after being a Reaper user since 2006 (and a paid user since 2020). I’ll probably still use Reaper if I just want to make a quick recording since I have a pretty lean template set up and ready to go, but I figured I might as well at least learn how to use Ableton (especially if I end up teaching something like music production or sound design at uni), and at most shell out for Suite because I want to get into max4live stuff.

So that’ll probably be me failing NGNY23 :sweat_smile: but I think I’ll be getting rid of some gear this year.. every time I go into the studio to jam I get option paralysis.

2 Likes

My Achilles would be if an sp2400 came up at a good price. What’s yours? Maybe we can cast a spell….

1 Like

Only thing that would break my pledge would be if someone sold the whole Electrix rack fx set of four for a reasonable price. I used to have them all. One of the only things I regret ever selling.

But even then, I’m sure my unbendable backbone would win.

5 Likes

traded all my modular bits (bar my PNW and rainmaker) for some cash, a monomachine and a MD last year, best decision I ever made. Between these 2 and ableton I don’t think I’ll ever have GAS again tbh. Theres something about having solid knowledge of an elektron box plus ur daw of choice will surpass the usage of any hardware setup out there.
Honestly tho if ur struggling with spending addictions I genuinely I feel for u this shit can rip ur mental health to shreds if u spend irresponsibly or on things u dont really need even if u can afford them. it will hinder ur musical process aswell as ur well…
h a v i n g
t o
l e a r n
a
w h o l e
n e w
i n s t r u m e n t.
Even if its just a regular synth its still gonna take a few months before u smooth out ur fav bits and really fall in love with the instrument
Let financial stability and hard work and focus be ur GAS for the new year.

5 Likes

I watched a Ken “Hiwatt” Marshal video some time ago and if I remember correctly he had that set in his setup. Very playable FX.

2 Likes

Welcome!

This is so true. I got my A4 and OT at the end of 2018 and I am still learning new things with just those two all the time. And after two years of using (mostly) the same setup, I’ve no where near mastered these things. It’s embarrassing thinking back about some of the other gear I’ve acquired in the meantime and how little I know them yet. I suppose my goal as some others here is also a year of depth. :crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

Quality>Quantity everytime. focus on getting gud and being a sick musician not a gear nerd.

wait what? there’s a mixer app for Logic? how does that work? like having the ipad on sidecar or is there a dedicated ipad app?

2 Likes

Exactly that. An app. You can also run it on an iPhone.
Logic basically killed my GAS for good.

3 Likes

No new gear for me this year :fist:

I scratched a bunch of rather pricey itches the last couple years but have found working with Ableton + my MS-20 can’t be beat, so am sticking with that for the year while I sell off a bunch of stuff.

The only thing that would put the effort at risk is a new Softube Model synth. I started and ended last year wanting a Waldorf M and can easily go one more year without it. It will feel much nicer bringing one home when I don’t have a half dozen other synths sitting unused.

New gear can be very nice and even helpful to get through some harder times when there isn’t so much inspiration to make music, but great fulfillment can also come from appreciating what one already has, though it helps when that includes a Machinedrum UW, Monomachine and full size MS-20.

5 Likes

Not sure if I can commit to no new gear, but I can definitely commit to not growing the amount of gear this year. :blush: I plan on getting rid of at least one of the current ones, and if I buy anything new this year, it better be filling a real need.

I must say it has gotten a lot easier to resist new gear to me in the past six months, for two reasons:

1. I’ve learned more about what I really like, what workflow works well for me, what I actually want vs what I just think I want. This already rules our 80% of all the gear out there.
  2. Basically all of the remaining gear I’m lusting for have ridiculous and arbitrary limitations that make me feel like I’d be instantly disappointed if I got them (mono sampling, no polyphony, limited track count, things like that).

So that’s a good starting point for this commitment. Then again if I find something second hand for a price too good to be true, like I did with the Syntakt, then I probably won’t be able to resist it. Fingers crossed. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Just saw my facebook-memory from this day 9 years ago.

I had made a new year’s resolution not to buy (or sell) a single synth for the whole next year. So apparently I came up with the concept of NGNY ages ago.

If I remember correctly that resolution went down the toilet in a matter of weeks, but I’m a grown up man now - I can control my urges.

6 Likes

You’re ahead of your time

5 Likes