No New Gear 2024 #NGNY24

I’m in BTW. I will be selling some stuff this month but nothing will be added anymore.

Main weapons of choice for composing music:

• Numa X Piano Yamaha CK61 Reface CP
  • Digitakt
  • Digitone

For recording and monitoring:

• SPL Marc One
  • Hedd Audio 05 MK2 Monitors
  • Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro
  • Ableton Live 11 (It’s perfectly fine, no need to upgrade to 12)

Might go:

• Syntakt
  • SA Atlas Compressor

Will be sold soon:

• Numa X Piano
  • Yamaha CK61
2 Likes

I’m in. Planning to go deep this year with my Rytm and GRP A2.

Sold off a lot of stuff over 2023 and listed a few additional bits for sale yesterday. Really enjoying the focus of a smaller setup at the moment.

3 Likes

In!

Push 3 S
Digitakt
Digitone
Analog Heat Mk2
Meris Hedra

My new year’s resolution is to release an EP. So these (+ Live) are gonna be it.

5 Likes

I’m game.

I don’t see the need to buy anything else.

I have MC-707 + Drumbrute Impact as one setup and Polyend Tracker + Roland S-1 as the other and that’s plenty.

I might get a new laptop but that goes beyond music gear.

3 Likes

I’ve had a ridiculous year of buying and selling stuff but yesterday I bought something I’ve been gassing over all year, a toraiz sp16.

I also invested in a monitor and minimized my main production space which is with ableton.

Last year I was very productive completing and releasing my own music and remixing few people also. This year I hope to be even more productive so fingers crossed no new gear and focus on making music and getting some cool gigs from it.

Hopefully

5 Likes

I’m doing pretty well in 2024 so far

31 Likes

I am in.

• Isla2400
  • Novation Summit
  • A4 mk2 (although it is up for sale)
1 Like

I‘m happy with my stuff, I try to sell some boxes I did not really use and by any chance, swap a takt for a tone.

2 Likes

I’ll try yet again. Thanks for starting this thread!

I have an MPC Live 2 and a couple of Roland rack synths plus my Linnstrument. That’s plenty and then I have the usual ”utilities” like midi-boxes, interfaces, mixers, tape machines and guitars & pedals. And some stuff stashed away in the closet. No need for anything except free time.

Might buy some cables and if a certain rack synth comes along for a good price I might not be able to resist, but I’ll try anyways.

9 Likes

It will be hard for me not to add another synth to the Digitone. I’m torn between the Syntakt and the A4 Mk2. For now, I’m more interested in the A4 because it’s similar to the DN in terms of sound design from scratch.

2 Likes

Wound up not buying any new hardware in 2023, but there was no real plan to NOT buy anything. Did spend maybe $500-$600 on software. If I buy anything this year, it’ll be a 1 in 1 out kinda situation, I think. Current gear

7Ux104HP eurorack- very tempted to sell

Octatrack mk2- no plans to sell

M8- no plans to sell

EssenceFM- no plans to sell, but maybe

Syntakt- no plans to sell, but it could come down to selling either this or the EssenceFM. We’ll see

Oxi One- very tempted to sell

GAS? Not at the moment. Really pleased with what I have

1 Like

Count me in. Boxing up and listing of too much stuff to mention is in progress.

I spent a couple of days agonising over what I should keep and sell and then realised it doesn’t matter, I’ve got about 5 seperate setups that are probably capable of producing anything I want musically. So I’ll see where I settle.

I’ve also realised that I need to sell everything except what I’m going to use. Having things boxed up is too distracting for me, I just end up changing setups constantly rather than making any music.

9 Likes

Same. Having boxed up gear is too mentally taxing for me. Having a couple of things in the cupboard is ok, but more than that is too much.

Do headphones count? They make sound but they don’t have a sequencer….

Nanoloop mono is the last thing I’ve added at end of 23 with nothing else needed now.
But the whole point was on the move electronic madness. And with my crappy in ears there’s no point, NM is all about the bass and by the time it’s on speakers all the tuning has to be reworked.

Will take this opportunity to ask this thread for its opinion of best quality reference cans for low end in the £50-100 bracket?

I figure I should list my gear so that it’s there, in pixels, so I can easily see that I don’t need any more gear:

Digitakt
Digitone
Tempest
Norand mono
TT-303
TE KO 2
Electribe EMX-1
M8 tracker
Guitars, pedals
M2 MacBook Air

I don’t need more gear!

11 Likes

as always, not me.
at least i want some more Roland S-1 units.

2 Likes

I’m in to see how long I last… I genuinely don’t need anything and plan to sell a bunch of gear.

2 Likes

I’m in. I have DT, Hydrasynth Desktop, and SP404 MK2.

My one caveat is that I’m getting Live 12, but I consider that commitment to the upgrade to be from last year.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if Etsy (Reverb) stock will tank anymore in 2024? It fell over 25% this last year and they laid off 11% of their workers… that could be a thread unto itself…

Seems from the amount of people not buying this year it may be time to short it…

They don’t count I don’t think. I’ll need to buy new ones this year because my 10+ year old Audio-Technica cans are broken.

1 Like