No New Gear 2024 #NGNY24

Happy New Year!
Anyone else on board? - what’s your stick-with it set-up this year?
First year I’ve deliberately done this no new gear thing. Well got a bag on order but apart from that.
Slimmed down to just MD-UW running X.09, with a PO-35 to get vocals onto it. Love that vocoder sound. Had the MD-UW a while but not spent enough time learning all the tricks, setting up Ctrl-8Ps etc. Guy at work gave me the PO-35 as his kid didn’t like it.
I’ve got a MegaCommand too but might not hook that up till later in the year. Gonna get busy with learning all the neighbour machines & input machine routing tricks first. Got a battery pack for mobility and a pair of headphones & minirig speaker to keep in the bag. Have sound will travel kind of thing. Got the ECC-7 carry bag on order hopefully will fit everything.
Reward if I make it to 2025 might be something like a tape delay to put in an effects loop. But want to max out use of internal delay, chaining delays etc first.
This video inspired me in terms of not needing an external delay or reverb:

Really want to play this thing like an instrument & won’t get there if I’m dividing time with more immediate instruments.
Sold my M8, 303 clone, Volca, Syntakt & boxed up the decks & records even though my mixing is still abysmal.
Actually looking forward to it. Limitations breeding creativity. Let’s see…
If you are doing it too, let’s hear your vision and plan.
Best wishes anyway for a healthy and happy New Year 2024

24 Likes

I think you can just call it ‘NGNY 2024’. :wink:

No Gear New Year was the original until the title got botched last year.

6 Likes

Analog Rytm and Virus Ti2 and modulars.

Nice. AR is an awesome base for tracks

2 Likes

No new gear for me in 2024! HOWEVER, if the Sensel Morph that I just listed on Reverb sells in the next 6 hours, I might order myself a little treat before the ball drops. I’m (mostly) kidding.

2 Likes

I have 6 hours to buy my last thing. A torso T1. If I don’t buy it by midnight that is it. NGNY.

I’m in!
Think I’ll be able to make it longer this year than last year (last year I got through 6-8months before breaking down)

Shooting for the full year this year, and with talks of having our first kid, it seems easier than ever to turn down new gear purchases

7 Likes

I’m almost finished converting an old garden shed into a studio! Don’t want to waste time looking for or learning new gear this year.
I’ve got:
Octatrack
Machinedrum
Tr8s
Virus
Sub phatty
Various guitars, effects, tape machines and mixer.
Going deep with this in 2024!

8 Likes

This year I’m in it to win it!

5 Likes

Oh no, Craigslist was still open on my browser.
tenor

17 Likes

Just image yourself in a different timezone; it’s still 2023 on a chunk of the planet.

2 Likes

Happy No New Gear Year Everyone!

3 Likes

I can’t – have been waiting to be able to buy few things and right now I have some cash to spend. My heart is with those who stay strong and embrace change and inner development throughout the year to come, though.

2 Likes

Count me in!
My Setup:
Analog four, Syntakt, TD3-MO, Blackbox
(Neon Egg Planetarium V2, I want to sell)

1 Like

I’m in. I’m clearly suffering from GAS constantly so I need to do this. I’ll need support!

4 Likes

I’m in. I actually think I might make it through this year without buying new gear because I have all the gear I need, actually too much of it: a Syntakt, an MPC Live 2 and a Push 3 E.

The only risk to NGNY24 is that a new portable, battery-powered polyphonic groovebox is released, but I really can’t imagine that happening.

1 Like

I’m in. Unless Elektron makes something new,

9 Likes

Hell yeah, I’m fully on board - No New Gear 2024!

Vintage Gear tho… :smile:

4 Likes

Which can also be bought in 2025 :wink:

(or not at all because when the initial hype is over the build quality turned out to be really bad :upside_down_face:)

3 Likes

Yeah, so far I’ve always waited at least six months before buying new and exciting gear, and that tactic has worked to shake out the truly interesting things from the hyped-up stuff I don’t need. :blush:

6 Likes