Ni komplete 13

I’ve been offered a cheap upgrade path to Komplete 13

‘As an owner of KOMPLETE 11 SELECT for MASCHINE MK3 you qualify to install and activate this version.’

However I sold the Maschine around a month ago and therefore the license for Select with it, so is it a trap, or are they after a sale?

1 Like

I’m in a similar position. If the new owner doesn’t want the software license then you can keep yours and use it for the upgrade. I believe the current NI policy means that the new Maschine hardware owner will automatically get the Komplete select license when they register the hardware (or get your hardware transfer) and you still keep your Komplete select license so everyone is a winner.

1 Like

I thought the Maschine and Komplete licences were all technically under one licence now. Want always the case pre Mk3 but I was sure that unless you specifically ask NI to break out the software as a separate licence then everything would transfer when the hardware is registered to its new owner.

Worth double checking as don’t want to get get caught out mow or further down the line.

Everything transferred automatically when I sold my Kontrol but I still had an old Maschine with crusade so my licences are in a bit of a mess…

The point here is that if your NI account is offering you the upgrade then you’re eligible, full stop. The problem only exists if the new owner of your old Maschine hardware suddenly asks for their missing software. I did the hardware transfer without the software (if I recall correctly) and the software stayed in my account. I think the new owner automatically gets their own new Komplete select license.

True, if the account gives the green light then should be good to go. If someone came back after a month asking for the software I’d probably ignore them… that boat has sailed :joy:

Was just pointing out that NI transfer software with hardware as one licence now. But I’m probably coming at this from the angle of a crossgrade and potential concerns rather than a standard upgrade from Select point of view.

I’d be more inclined to take up some upgrades if they used their considerable programming abilities to give me a custom upgrade option.

Eg we see you’ve been buying a lot of our stuff for 20 years, here’s a deal on a few things you are missing.

Why should the customer need to browse through comparison tables and their Access inventory - personalize it and serve it up to us and wake up to real customer engagement.

How about the odd email that something interesting has popped up in the reaktor user library based on my past downloads?

NI are asleep at the wheel.

Also in this enlightened age of Green, they should offer to send a courier to pick up your old machine and give you a good deal on a new one. Might not be carbon neutral but an element of recycling would be good.

3 Likes

Thanks, but this sounds more hypothetical, that I should be able to take the offer, but nobody has actually done it.

The new owner did register the hardware a few weeks ago and thus took access to the software. He reported back a few days later to thank me for the pack and to tell me he was enjoying using it. I also had to go through Native Instruments to allow me to sell it on and their terms clearly state that there is no upgrade path without a version of the software to upgrade from and they will take back any software that hasn’t been upgraded from a lesser version

Having to use Native Access to download most of the software could be the problem though.

They’re dangling a carrot in front of me and i’m not sure if I should take a bite.

It isn’t hypothetical if you are getting the offer through your NI account and it states exactly why you’re getting it. If you have the “Komplete select for Maschine MK3” in your list of licences in your account then that’s why you have the upgrade offer available.

As I previously said, when you did the transfer the new owner may have got the Komplete select added just because they own the hardware now. This policy was confirmed to me by an NI employee in their forum if I remember correctly, and others have verified the same. So if you’ve kept your Komplete select license that’s why you have the offer available.

I understand why you’re apprehensive but I’ve never heard of NI suddenly taking someone’s software away again. If they’re offering you the upgrade in your account, it’s because you’re eligible. They’re not trying to trick you.

1 Like

One other thing is that the offer is on until the end of the month. Why not ask NI directly just to be sure? You can explain the whole thing and see what they say.

1 Like

Ah, sorry, I obviously didn’t read your post fully to the end, but that sounds great.

I’ve spent the last few months playing exclusively with hardware, apart from a quick dabble with Pigments 3 and Analog Lab V, so I haven’t really checked to see if I still have the Select instruments working, but I suppose the first thing I should do is check they still work and if so then that’ll confirm that I still have Select which will then allow me to take the upgrade.