#NGNY22 - Happy NoGear New Year!

I couldn’t agree more. For me, now, it’s way better, than the quick rush of buying something new.

4 Likes

It’s an important thing to keep doing, I think. Over the last year I’ve had several instances where I’ve looked at something new and then thought well, could you achieve what you think this is going to add by using what you already have? And the answer is almost always yes, it just requires learning something new or approaching the task in a different way, both of which are valuable.

Of course this is much easier to answer if you have a cupboard full of previous impulse purchases to fall back on, but what’s useful there is when you can say to yourself “Look, man, the Roland ZX-321 already does those things, and you never use it. You never use it because you didn’t need it. Do you see where this is going?”

Inspired by that, and as I already said somewhere above, I’ve been putting things back in their boxes and, for the most part, leaving them there. Gradually a small core of devices I actually enjoy using is emerging, and it’s becoming clear that I’ve got enough bases covered there to keep me busy (and learning) for at least the rest of my life, which is about as far as my interest extends.

And of course I could have realised this several years and considerably more than several purchases ago, but you have to start somewhere.

6 Likes

I’ve spent the last couple of weeks doing this. I convinced myself I ‘needed’ an analog heat and RNLA, which would mean I could put more synths through my OT, get a mixer to run the OT, Rytm, Virus through, and have all the AH goodness and a proper compressor on the end of it all.

WRONG!
That just leads me back to a desk full of boxes, audio & MIDI routing hassle, again falling into the endless complexity of this instead of learning what I’ve got or mixing some records or playing guitar. Fact is I already have a master compressor and filter on OT, that’s fine for what I need right now.

Anyway I didn’t buy anything, but I did spend plenty of time online looking at gear, thinking about setups, even asking some questions on here about comps and AH etc. All of which time I could have used more productively.

I’m pretty convinced I would have bought things if not for this thread and the changed mindset it’s given me, I was able to recognise what I was doing and stop before going any further. And this weekend, when I was tempted to start looking into it all again, I went upstairs and made some kick drums with Rytm instead, and watched a few modular techno sets online, came out happy instead of emotionally empty and several hundred quid poorer.

Thanks once again NGNY22!

10 Likes

I avoided GAS with instant buying the syntakt. I dont have to agonize over its videos or features. I am not a buy / sell type anyways : i tried to sell my sub 37 but i just removed it from ebay because there will be a time when i miss it. Its so fucking large , and i really enjoy my time with the syntakt because i could set it on my lap move my feet up and relax with it.

You avoided gear acquisition by… acquiring gear?

7 Likes

Sin here. Well possible sin anyway. My commitment was for synths and stuff, anything related to production really.

However I just bought a Denon Prime 2 DJ Controller at a really good price, but realise this is really closely related so wanted to note it for the record.

I’m having a hard time with the release of the Korg NTS-2. I could easily and happily live without the oscilloscope/tuner but the book included in the bundle tempts me. I have all the previous releases from Bjooks and as I understood it the bundle version with the book is available only for a limited period.

So for me, I’d be buying the book and getting a bonus oscilloscope as a gift. I need to think about this hard.

1 Like

Surely the book’s gonna be available separately (at least later)? And surely you wouldn’t pay £165.00 just for the book, Mr “getting a bonus oscilloscope as a gift”? :smiley:

5 Likes

posted more for sale today.
peak, portastudio, se-70, free cables…

feels good, getting lighter. unencumbered.

adding: ive got a long way to go still tho.

4 Likes

I did not have to agonize over it. Read manuals, watch endless tutorials, i think part of the problem is, that one spends to much fantasy about what problems are solved with shiny new gear, instead of making music: so instead of time consuming research i just bought it, knowing that it will have flaws. I accept that (to a degree, freezing rytm sucks), and i normally wait a year to see if things iron out. I waited for the mpc to mature for 18 month, but i trust electron, they really fix their stuff , and akai too. Next gen MPC will be an insta buy for me. Chip shortage is also a thing, waiting for a ps5 for nearly 2 years now.

I have failed everyone… :cry:
My wallet is in the corner whimpering.

1 Like

I’m glad that you avoided what in your case would have been wasted time and unnecessary self-torture, and I hope you enjoy your new Digitakt. But GAS stands for Gear Acquisition Syndrome. You definitely acquired gear. That is not avoiding GAS.

4 Likes

Noted :wink:

I could not find you on the list. Did I miss you signing up?

1 Like

Temptations getting weird over here, my friend :joy: Stay strong and let it pass through you. Where there was GAS there will be nothing. Only you will remain.

2 Likes

GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

We tend to use the word GAS to describe wanting the gear, but technically, only acquiring the gear qualifies as GAS.

I have followed this thread since its beginning. A lot of inspiring, thoughtful stuff has been shared. But, as time has gone by, this thread has been populated by some pretty extraordinary GAS rationalization. Poor @Joebas, it’s become his part-time job absolving people of their sins. Good thing I didn’t start the thread; I’m not by nature very encouraging. I’d probably say something like, “It’s okay, I always figured you were weak and you wouldn’t make it.” @Joebas, you are a saint!

6 Likes

My initial idea was a harder line, but that is just what I prefer for myself, and I like the vibe of this a lot now. I’m gonna add Saint to my resumé :wink:

6 Likes

I muted this thread. The key is to avoid triggering the weakness ^^

2 Likes

1 Like

Hahahahahaha!
How’s that for some GAS?

Someone’s selling a red SH-101 for 40€ in Finland.

2 Likes