#NGNY22 - Happy NoGear New Year!

Either it sold or it was removed pretty fast. The text says “selling old”. Don’t think that’s the actual price but wouldn’t be the first time when an outrageous-looking ad like that turned out to be real on that forum. :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah, the same dude was also selling a Spider-keyboard stand but that was probably also very underpriced as it sold as fast too. I remember when I bought a 30€ Korg Polysix at a local fleamarket 12 years ago and after scoring went to a local park to chill out. A couple of my friends were there and their brains blew up when I told them about that Polysix find. They said that: ”We thought those times of finding analog synths for cheap were over long time ago!”

Well 12 years later it is still happening. You just have to be in the right spot at the right time.

4 Likes

I missed the signup. Just saw the group in Jan. and thought it would be a good approach this year. Was with you all in spirit I suppose. Maybe the sign up would’ve made me more committed. :grimacing:

2 Likes

I’m sure we’d all allow an exception for a 40 Euro red SH-101. Even if it doesn’t make you happy, it will make a lot of other people unhappy, which is in many ways a similar net result.

3 Likes

Cross me off the list, please.

Breaks my heart in a way and I have a million emotions that I’m not going to go on and on about here, as much as explaining myself would probably help my guilt. This was a profound challenge that changed the way I used, sold, and gassed over gear and I’ll be thinking about it for a good long time. But for now, there’s a new Syntakt in front of me…yet I can’t say I necessarily feel happy about it. And that’s the rub, isn’t it? I gave it my best.

I’m out, but I’ve been so encouraged with and inspired by both the successful and unsuccessful participants of this challenge that I’ll continue to stay tuned to see how you’re all faring. Steady on.

9 Likes

It’s pretty clear, from what you write, that you are not back to square one. This is just a little detour, and you’ll be back, when the time is right. I’ll remove you from the list, and look forward to your contributions here :heart:

3 Likes

Who needs OP-1 Field when you can dumpster dive three patchbays and a Minidisc-player for free?

Spring is my favourite time of the year. One of the reasons being that in Finland for a week all the apartment buildings have a huge garbage bin in the front yard where all the inhabitants can empty their unused stuff from their storage rooms. Every spring I dumpster dive a lot of valuable stuff. I’ve found 100% working welding machines, diving suits, furniture, cd-, and vinyl-collections (and a working Korg Mono/Poly) etc. in those bins.

Today a friend of mine texted me that they’re cleaning out the old art school where I studied in the late 90’s and there’s some studio equipment in the bin. I went there and all I had time to pick were these four. I saw XLR-patchbays and all kinds of crazy stuff, but I had my dog with me and was limited with the amount of stuff I could carry. Maybe I’ll go back there later tonight to see if there’s still something worthwhile.

9 Likes

My goodness! I would definitely swap my NGNY commitment for it in that garbage bin.

2 Likes

Big up to all the companies at Superbooth this year for helping keep the wolf from the door. Keep it up with the missing features and high prices, guys!

6 Likes

After 4,5 months I’m finding the easiest way to tame GAS is not having too much loose cash (I never use my credit card on gear purchases). Since last June I’ve saved about a month’s salary (I’m a teacher, so it’s not a ton) and put it in a place where I can’t spend it on a whim (inside a mattress, natch). The fact that prices really are going up on everything also ”helps”. All along my main goal with NGNY was to save a little money and take a couple months off from work and just make music 8 hours a day. Not there yet but on the right track.

”Not having money” might also be the only way to go for me cos I’m kinda still having GASsy thoughts. It’s GAS cos the thing I want changes every two weeks. Having said that, the amount of time and mental energy I’m spending on thinking about gear (purchases) is way smaller than last year.

So I guess in many ways I’m succeeding and taking the right steps cos I’m not buying anything or really watching gear videos (find 99% of them just irritating anyway) but I am making music with my existing gear.

Also, having some gear boxed up has been a good move cos that’ll give me a sense of ”something new” once I take it out. Already having the urge to take the Perfourmer out for a spin…

2 Likes

Yes. The last bit of each video the dreaded question . How much? Then the balloon usually deflates extremely fast.

Tonight my cat woke me up at 4am.
I was a bit pissed off (« but he’s so cute » would say as a choir the rest of the family).

I had trouble to get back to sleep, and I started to think about the next gig in June. OT, ST, DN, Keystep. We’re good. Oh, and Strega as well, it’s a noise event. Must have. I could also bring the 0-Coast for plenty additional modulations…
What if… I had a 0-CTRL as well?
With my numb addicted mind, I grabbed my phone, and I was pretty close to push the “buy” button when I suddenly figured out I’d get fired of this group.
Switched off the phone, got back to sleep, with a bit of a shame for being so weak, and a bit of acknowledgments for everyone that supports each other here.

12 Likes

Nothing weak about fighting of temptation in a tired state! :+1:

3 Likes

I hadn’t thought about this part of GAS. I’m going to remember this for when I do buy gear again (2023 or beyond).

Did this in January and it’s great. Already I can think of at least half a dozen setups that might be for making different styles of music, all with existing gear. It’s practically all new to me anyway, for the amount of time I have(n’t) spent with it :joy:

I really need to look into my local noise scene. Haven’t been to anywhere near enough noise/PE gigs.
Your GAS episode sounds sooooo familiar!

3 Likes

Friends - I have sinned! I just sold a module on Modulargrid. I’ve been trying unsuccesfully to gel with it for a long time now, and I knew that I could move it quickly, so out it went. I’ll put myself down for a sin :wink:

6 Likes

Selling being a sin seems like a little harsh on yourself? Seems like you made a choice that benefits you afterall.

What did you not like about the module?

Keep on keeping on :muscle:

1 Like

Thank you, I will! :heart:

Yeah, I know it might be slightly harsh, but not selling was part of my plan, so I don’t see a way around it.

The module was the Mimeophon, and I really gave it a shot. Love all of the functionality, but there was something about the sound. I’m a little obsessive, when it comes to sound, and to me it was just slightly dull. So off it goes, to someone who will love it.

2 Likes

Looking at all the news from Superbooth and having my main response be “What would I do with any of that?!” feels pretty good! And in the meantime, resorting to only finding solutions to my problems with what I have is also very rewarding!
Thanks NGNY22!

5 Likes

I feel like the most powerful answer to GAS is acquiring enough of what you want, then constantly asking yourself if something new is necessary.

Years ago when I sold my slim phatty, I would complain a lot about not being able to get there with the A4. Someone on this forum challenged me to try harder in finding the A4’s sweet spots.
That was a GOOD lesson.
I never managed to scratch that moog itch with the A4, but I did learn to get satisfied with what I had, and dug into the A4 dramatically realizing its own characteristics.
After a few years of that, I finally added a slimPhatty back into the mix.
The purchase felt super calculated and sort of rounded out most of my sonic desires.

2 Likes

Are you kidding? GAS is about acquisition, not selling. You’re clear.

3 Likes