#NGNY22 - Happy NoGear New Year!

Still on my grind.
I’m not 100% what the Syntak is or any other new gear.
I still have exactly what I need, and don’t see that changing anytime soon.
If anything, I’ll still be trying to replace what I have if anything were to break down, and hopefully that doesn’t happen for years.

2 Likes

Forgive me dear fellow Nauts, for I have sinned.

In September 2020, a guy from my city reached me cause he needed to be taught the mysterious ways of the OT. He had bought it right before the first COVID lockdown, and still had some trouble to really find a workflow that suited his needs.

I gave him something like 20h of course, he spent hours on the machine to build his music, got himself a real studio, mainly Elektron (he added the two Digi and an A4, plus an AH on the mixer).

Last Monday, he sent me a message saying he was selling everything. Music had become such an obsession, he was getting lost into it, distancing himself from his friends, and as a 0/100 person he took the only decision he thought fitted his intentions to reconnect with normal life.

That was quite a shock to me. It was less seeing the gear gone than the fact that he had made the decision to throw away 2 years of hard work in a snap.
Talk about some will.

Anyway, as a gear addict I negligently looked at the list of gear he was selling… That was my mistake. I already own everything he has, except a little piece that is very hard to find: a goddam OTO BOUM!!

It’s home now, as I’ve been weak enough to go grab it. I’ll sacrifice/sell at least two pieces to get rid of my culpability, but I fear I have to leave the list of proud NGNY22 fellows :cry:

5 Likes

wrote that 21–12–2021.
already got quite a bit of gear in 2022.
this definitely makes 2022 happier despite the war time. dopamine rocks.

3 Likes

I’ve been away from this thread for a while, and I have kind of failed. I bought a Push 2 a few months ago, and a Midi Fighter Twister more recently.

But at the same time, my desk is now just the Push, the MFT, my old H9, plus speakers etc. I’ve sold a ton of stuff I never used, or rarely used, and anything else is in boxes awaiting the same treatment. I even sold a tube amp.

I used to think more about which box to use than I did about the music. With the Push and Ableton, I’m spending more time on the music. I still hook up my old OP-Z to sequence Ableton, but that’s it for hardware, and I haven’t bought a ton of plugins, either. Ableton has plenty of amazing stock tools.

So, technically I have failed, but I feel that I’ve succeeded following the spirit of this thread. Either way, the desire for new stuff has gone. :+1:

2 Likes

Been a way a while, and regretfully (well
Not really actually!!) but I am out.

I initially sinned picking up a Lyra 8 in March, since then I have bought and sold a Hydrasynth desktop, picked up a Digitone and also a MPC live 2 plus sold a load of gear.

So that’s a fail.

Still, this thread did help me break the initial cycle I was in, and also helped me look at purchases in a new light so I think there was some benefits. Kudos to all of those who are still going strong.

Now back to waiting on announcements…. :crazy_face:

I think everyone has to have their own aims/objectives for NGNY, and people have different reasons for getting involved.

Technically, I’ve definitely failed too, I have bought gear… but, my own aim was to stop distracting myself learning new pieces of gear… it was a time issue for me, not a money or an amassing gear issue.
The gear I have bought this year has either had zero/minimal learning curve or has been a duplicate of something I already have.

At the same time, I’ve found this thread really useful to keep me on track to not buy new gear that I have to find time to learn and distract myself, so I keep involved on that level. :v:

2 Likes

And then you sin with something, I’ve also been gassing for… The horror…! :wink:

Sure you want to be taken of the list? I can mark you down for a sin?

Are you leaving the list? You could give me the months of sinning, if you want to stay.

So… now that the Syntakt pictures have dropped, how many of you are tapping out faster than Kramer in “The Contest?”

1 Like

I have removed you from the list :heart:

1 Like

Keep me on there! I plan to stay purchase-free for at least the rest of the year.

3 Likes

Mark me down as a stupid weak sinner: I still aim at no new gear for the rest of the year (apart from the Osmose I’m still waiting for).

still going strong here!

2 Likes

I am amazed by the new kid in the elektron family, but still staying strong in the NGNY. Still a lot to discover with my DT+DN

5 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
looks really cool, but i like the sounds i am knowledgeable of for now, plus i’m poor.
maybe next year a syntakt will be in my plans

1 Like

I will sin soon…

Just wait a year for prices to be lower and bugs to be ironed out. It might even have some added machines by then.

4 Likes

Do you know the months you’ve sinned in?

Sin noted :wink: Glad you’re staying.

1 Like

Regarding the Syntakt - it might end up being the thing I’ll get, when celebrating a full year… But still need more info. If the overall sound leans MD/AR, I’m very interested.

5 Likes