#NGNY22 - Happy NoGear New Year!

Also might want a plate and a bowl, right?

Not for coffee obviously but if one also wants to eat?

On the list now - sorry if I missed you joining :+1:

So yeah I’ve kinda dropped the ball to my shame but hear me out there was a genuine reason for what has transpired, basically were a family of four, two kids and the wifey and I, I make my music on my laptop and in the evenings I sometimes use an iPad, we had 2 iPads in the house one was exclusively mine and the kids shared the other one begrudgingly…

Well that situation (the kids one) has been getting progressively worse as our youngest grows into herself and has found her inner warrior and declared war on her older brother as far as sharing is concerned, so rather than let it continue to escalate I ordered a new iPad so that I could hand one down to the kids and stop the fighting etc…

Problem solved

Anyhow I know it’s a new toy and I’m sure you all understand that as I’m out of the house all day it’s usually the missus that has to de escalate whatever is going down with them, this way there’s less stress all round and we all know that “happy wife happy life” is the family man’s mantra…

1 Like

No issues - probably just jinxed myself!

1 Like

So far I have held true to the NGNY22 program.

2 Likes

Nobody was interested in buying the Korg M3 from me so I ended up trading it for some vintage hifi with a local dude. He had a collection of 100 reel to reel machines including a bunch of Nagras, Studers and Revoxes, but he was able to let this one go. The trade was worth it just to get to visit this guys studio with old Arp Odysseys and hundreds of cool gear and to get to talk to a likeminded older dude in his 60s.

I’ve always liked what old reel to reel tape machines look like, now I just need to get some Akai-branded 7” aluminium reels and a pair of working reel retainers/holders for this. I got a sizeable collection of ”empty tapes” with this, meaning old Say It In English -language courses. It was nostalgic just to listen to those as we had the same ones at school in the mid 80s.

I don’t feel like I’ve sinned as I got rid of one synth that was in the closet/not used and got a beautiful vintage Marantz amp and this in exchange. I’m building a vintage hifi system slowly and now the last part that’s missing are a pair of pretty speakers. It’s up to you guys to decide if this counts as a sin or not.

15 Likes

No sin in my book. Looks great :+1:

2 Likes

Well done!

1 Like

My last purchase was one year ago today. One year … no gear. Not an NGNYer, i allow myself to buy any time i want. Nothing is on the horizon.

It’s no burden as what i have i enjoy. It’s not about money.

I do have larger long term financial goals though. I think about buying stuff often, and just don’t.

Hold fast to your pursuits !

9 Likes

Not going for it would’ve counted as a sin in my book. What a cool looking unit!!

2 Likes

I actually sinned last week by getting the Komplete Kontrol so that shall be marked for me.

Other than that I’m still in and am trying my very best not to buy anything else this year, what ever the possibly upcoming Syntakt may be.

3 Likes

Sin noted :wink:

1 Like

I have to admit, y’all… if the Syntakt leak is real, I’ll be significantly tempted. It would address all of my qualms with the Model:Cycles from the looks of it and add an analog engine and better FX. If it’s capable of any amount of polyphony on top of that… I may need help staying strong lol

3 Likes

Well they probably won’t discontinue it within a year. Prices will likely fall a little as they usually are a bit higher when the product first releases. It might even have gotten a major update or two if you wait, giving you more features. Why the rush? :cool:

2 Likes

:muscle: thank you for your help in this tough time

Not so much these days… DT used to be $800 CAD… soon be up to $1100.

Sequential Pro 3 used to be about $1800 CAD… now over $2500.

Still good to stay strong if that is right for the individual, but prices may go up…

1 Like

Sure after 5 years you can expect some inflation, but I recall the Digitakt launching at 750 and buying it brand new on a sale for 550 a year later. 1-2 years after release seems to be the sweet spot from my experience.

2 Likes

So hard to know these days… things be crazy

sounds like you are doing something necessary similar to buying a microphone in order to practice or something. like many of us have talked about, this is about disrupting the habit of desiring new gear instead of working with the things we have. there are times where that new piece of gear might do what we want and others where it is necessary.

good to remind myself of these things too while the new box that i shall not name looks tempting.

1 Like

Ive been to busy with freelance work to be playing with my sound machines, tax month too so cant spend even if i want to >.<
The best thing is done was sign up to openstudiojazz to learn more piano, i only had classical lessons when i was younger and hated it! but this is a way better way to learn for me.

2 Likes