New Waldorf-Kassettenspieler NAMM 2016 rumor

http://www.gearjunkies.com/2016/01/namm-2016-rumor-waldorf-kassettenspieler-tapeloop-synthesizer/

Specs:
[ul]
[li]ARM prosessor[/li]

[li]Analog multimode filter[/li]

[li]128GB flash memory[/li]

[li]Stereo output[/li]

[li]USB connection for transferring samples[/li]

[li]MIDI in and out[/li]

[li]Software editor for samples[/li]

[li]Digital FX with reverb and phaser from Streichfett[/li]

[li]12 memory locartion[/li]

[/ul]

if this is true, it might be really good.

128Gb Flash memory??? :astonished:
… but only 12 memory location. :neutral_face:

yep. sounds like nonsense. who needs 128gb for a sampler? looks like a hoax.

yep. sounds like nonsense. who needs 128gb for a sampler? looks like a hoax.[/quote]
Not necessarily, if it plays samples monophonic or even polyphonic! Across a keyboard. It could theoretically have any number of samples mapped to midi notes across the keyboard for each of the 12 presets.

If they were longer samples for instance, each midi note could be an audio file/loop or whatever. If it was polyphonic, then it could also be some kind of mellowtron style patch. Who knows. If you could load 128 samples on each patch with the flexibility to use longer samples, then it could make sense.

It’s like a mellotron

looks like a fun kind of little mellotron sampler. 56 user samples if i counted correct. it’s nothing i couldn’t do with my blofeld. but it looks more immediate.

Yeah if each of the 4 ‘user’ banks has 14 ‘variations’, and each of those variations = a multisampled instrument (or random samples spread across 128 midi note) then this could be very useful for live… and also handy for immediate hands on access in studio. Like you say, the blofeld can do multi sample ok but 64mb (if I remember correctly?) runs out real quick if you’re doing anything remotely Mellotron sounding. For that you need decent length samples to loop or one-shot that have movement/idiosyncrasies. If this thing has 128gb then that’s definately not going to be a problem :wink: keen to see some videos and reviews come through on this. shame it doesn’t have an audio input for sampling but not a deal breaker for something like this. Interested to know the RRP…

Yeah if each of the 4 ‘user’ banks has 14 ‘variations’, and each of those variations = a multisampled instrument (or random samples spread across 128 midi note) then this could be very useful for live… and also handy for immediate hands on access in studio. Like you say, the blofeld can do multi sample ok but 64mb (if I remember correctly?) runs out real quick if you’re doing anything remotely Mellotron sounding. For that you need decent length samples to loop or one-shot that have movement/idiosyncrasies. If this thing has 128gb then that’s definately not going to be a problem :wink: keen to see some videos and reviews come through on this. shame it doesn’t have an audio input for sampling but not a deal breaker for something like this. Interested to know the RRP…[/quote]
128 GB? C’mon guys, think for a minute lol

Yeah if each of the 4 ‘user’ banks has 14 ‘variations’, and each of those variations = a multisampled instrument (or random samples spread across 128 midi note) then this could be very useful for live… and also handy for immediate hands on access in studio. Like you say, the blofeld can do multi sample ok but 64mb (if I remember correctly?) runs out real quick if you’re doing anything remotely Mellotron sounding. For that you need decent length samples to loop or one-shot that have movement/idiosyncrasies. If this thing has 128gb then that’s definately not going to be a problem :wink: keen to see some videos and reviews come through on this. shame it doesn’t have an audio input for sampling but not a deal breaker for something like this. Interested to know the RRP…[/quote]
My Blofeld is packed with Mellotron samples at 22k. That 60Mb goes a long way if you’re creative with it.

My Blofeld is packed with Mellotron samples at 22k. That 60Mb goes a long way if you’re creative with it. [/quote]
Cool, didn’t realise you could reduce sample rate etc on blofeld to stretch out the memory. Even so, multisampling every note of something for 5 seconds across 5 octaves is still gonna kill 64mb pretty quick if you’re looking to build an instrument library… But I get how you could cut corners. The knobs on my blofeld had a mind of their own and it flaked out at shows so I had to get rid of it before I really had a chance to dig in to it. Liked it apart from that though.

Aye, fab synth, interface needs work. But I love mine, especially controlled by a keyboard with polyphonic aftertouch,

128 GB? C’mon guys, think for a minute lol[/quote]
128gb flash memory isn’t that expensive. The unit doesn’t really do much beside play back samples, can’t see it costing them much to manufacture/develop… Seems feasible to me?

128gb flash memory isn’t that expensive. The unit doesn’t really do much beside play back samples, can’t see it costing them much to manufacture/develop… Seems feasible to me? [/quote]
thinking about it, if it gives you 54 slots which are multisampled with 128 samples each with say 15 seconds each sample at 44100 / 24bit then 128 gb definitely come in handy because it probably also contains the factory stuff. 128gb flash run you around 40€ nowadays so it would still be in the price range for a cheap synth.

multisampling with long files also is kind of necessary to realistically emulate a mellotron. on the blo you have to pitch your one sample.

also this big capacity multisampling could be useful for much more then just emulating a mellotron. you could run beats or massive ambient pads that don’t become repetitive. it could be a great live tool.

128gb flash memory isn’t that expensive. The unit doesn’t really do much beside play back samples, can’t see it costing them much to manufacture/develop… Seems feasible to me? [/quote]
thinking about it, if it gives you 54 slots which are multisampled with 128 samples each with say 15 seconds each sample at 44100 / 24bit then 128 gb definitely come in handy because it probably also contains the factory stuff. 128gb flash run you around 40€ nowadays so it would still be in the price range for a cheap synth.

multisampling with long files also is kind of necessary to realistically emulate a mellotron. on the blo you have to pitch your one sample.

also this big capacity multisampling could be useful for much more then just emulating a mellotron. you could run beats or massive ambient pads that don’t become repetitive. it could be a great live tool.

[/quote]
Just had a quick look, you can get 128GB usb sticks wholesale for $10, had no idea prices had dropped this much!! How the hell are companies still releasing devices with under 1GB storage and RAM? I have a feeling at these costs it’s more of an interface decision rather than a component cost one. More storage results in a more cluttered interface that’s less immediate and harder to navigate.
In any case, you’re right this kind of huge memory does make sense if it’s a multisampler as expected. Will probably come with a nice desktop app for organising and sending the samples.

[/quote]
Yeah I’ve been kinda hanging out for something like this for a long time. It’s a little like what I originally wanted to do with the microsampler but that has nowhere near enough memory. Seems like a nice box to build your own sound canvas/instruments without need for dragging laptop to gigs. If it works how we’re guessing then it has a lot of potential to be useful in loads of ways. With the double layer mix knob you could also have some user ‘instruments’ (if that’s what ‘variations’ equates to…) that are keyboard splits of a couple of octaves of different things, so potentially a lot of variety really easily accessible, after you’re finished sampling/setting up your instruments etc. Hoping it’s pretty cheap…

Interesting to see how flexible it will be for using your own samples.

What happened to J & K from the alphabet? And who needs 14 variations of an accordion? :joy:

[/quote]
Just had a quick look, you can get 128GB usb sticks wholesale for $10, had no idea prices had dropped this much!! How the hell are companies still releasing devices with under 1GB storage and RAM? I have a feeling at these costs it’s more of an interface decision rather than a component cost one. More storage results in a more cluttered interface that’s less immediate and harder to navigate.
In any case, you’re right this kind of huge memory does make sense if it’s a multisampler as expected. Will probably come with a nice desktop app for organising and sending the samples. [/quote]
10 bux? Ok, I’ve been in the studio way too long…If flash memory is that cheap, this new Waldorf could easily have 128GB.

Really liking their design model now. Streichfett is excellent and I’m sure this will be too.

a friend picked up a 512gb usb stick off ebay for £8 from japan/china.

and it works…