New Waldorf-Kassettenspieler NAMM 2016 rumor

RAM and storage are not the same thing … RAM is volatile, flash drives are non volatile. RAM is several orders of magnitude faster than even the fastest usb3 flash drives.

hence the price difference.

[quote="“BloopityDoopity”"]

RAM and storage are not the same thing … RAM is volatile, flash drives are non volatile. RAM is several orders of magnitude faster than even the fastest usb3 flash drives.

hence the price difference.[/quote]
Oh I know, it’s just that RAM, though more expensive than storage, is also ridiculously low even on new machines. Look at the volca sample - 4 MB, that’s a joke, three floppies. Imagine if the OT used upgradeable RAM like the MPC - it’d be a very inexpensive game changer to drop a 1gb stick in there for flex memory to replace the 95 MB it comes with.

Obviously I’m glossing over some pretty important design constraints, mainly size, but you’d think that in the lord’s year of 2016 seeing devices with 256 GB of flash storage and 1 GB of RAM would be the norm rather than a shocker.

If the sample library and playback options are good enough, then this could be a great cheap little rompler, for those who don’t want to buy-in to software such as Kontakt in order to add acoustic type instruments into their productions.

Yeah hoping it’s legit and waldorf just delaying the official leak to give gossip focus to their new modular stuff for couple of days. Could be a really handy box.

I’m really interested in the fact that is has 12 memory locartions.

I think those are performance related, ie. Saving blends of ‘instruments’ and fx settings etc. Can’t remember without looking at pic but think it’s something like 64 user instrument save slots if those of us that were making guesses at how it all works are right.

I was making fun of their misspelling.
I don’t care about this thing.
Love the NW1, though.

Ha, didn’t notice their mistake and thought it was yours :wink: This things actually pretty useful for anyone wanting multissmpled stuff without dragging laptop/kontakt around. Some scope for creative stuff too. But can see how it wouldn’t be needed in many people’s setups.

Aaaaaaaaaand it’s a hoax!
Good job, bored people.

Lame… This + new roland sampler/sequencer were prob the two most practically useful/affordable (to me…) things rumoured for namm. Both fake :confused:

Edit - on a positive I’m guessing you could do the same thing as the Waldorf (+ more) with that new Critter and guitari Organelle? I’ve never used Pure Data before so I don’t know how difficult it is to program (looks TOO easy in the demo vid!), or what it’s limitations are… Really like the idea of the Organelle tho and prob pick one up and try to figure it out.

That is sad… I’d buy something small and cheap with “acoustic” sounds for my OT. :frowning:

That is sad… I’d buy something small and cheap with “acoustic” sounds for my OT. :([/quote]
You can do it inside OT to a certain degree. Mellotron samples/software are easy found online. Just make sample chains with all notes and play the sample chain chromatic via slice mode. Same process applies to any ‘instrument’ you wanna multisample in to OT. I’ve got some mtron flute/strings and organs etc in my ot like this. Got bored of making the chains pretty quick tho and gave up :wink: And then the OT lack of polyphony really sucks for playing/sequencing this kind of stuff. Limiting. In a bad way. But yeah, the Waldorf box looked interesting with the A+B blending and the other stuff. A shame…

Yes, I can. But OT adds some artifacts to sound while changing pitch of sample or change its tempo :frowning: and I’d like to prefer to program sequencer with keyboard instead of Slice parameter. I found that Rytm is able to transpose samples without artifacts but it’s monophonic as OT. It would be superb for me to have something like motif xs in a small box like this waldorf series. :slight_smile: I have Yamaha RM1X for acoustic sounds but it is too big and heavy to transport it with dark trinity.

Yes, I can. But OT adds some artifacts to sound while changing pitch of sample or change its tempo. :frowning: I found that Rytm is able to transpose samples without artifacts but it’s monophonic as OT. It would be superb for me to have something like motif xs in a small box like this waldorf series. :slight_smile: [/quote]
Yeah that’s my experience too with OT artefacts. Though you wouldn’t need to pitch or timestrech when doing ‘traditional’ acoustic instruments or mellotron sounds. Just record long samples of each note in to a 64 slice sample chain. 64 notes playable via slices, without need for timestrech or pitch. But yeah, the monophonic thing makes it a lot of work to setup for something that isn’t actually that useful in practise…

Yes, I can. But OT adds some artifacts to sound while changing pitch of sample or change its tempo :frowning: and I’d like to prefer to program sequencer with keyboard instead of Slice parameter. I found that Rytm is able to transpose samples without artifacts but it’s monophonic as OT. It would be superb for me to have something like motif xs in a small box like this waldorf series. :slight_smile: I have Yamaha RM1X for acoustic sounds but it is too big and heavy to transport it with dark trinity.[/quote]
The Rytm doesn’t have artifacts because it doesn’t do timestretching, just vinyl-style repitch. OT can do this as well.

Without artefacts?

Without artefacts? [/quote]
I think so yeah, just turn off timestretch and use the pitch or rate knob.

I think so yeah, just turn off timestretch and use the pitch or rate knob.[/quote]
I remember that I tried this but artifacts were here. I’ll recheck this today, may be I’m wrong and everything works great. :slight_smile:

I think so yeah, just turn off timestretch and use the pitch or rate knob.[/quote]
I remember that I tried this but artifacts were here. I’ll recheck this today, may be I’m wrong and everything works great. :slight_smile: [/quote]
Sorry if I’m wrong, it’s been a while since I played on an OT!

abundantly clear on day one by the “Not to be released before NAMM” comment on the leaked ‘internal document’ !!