New to digitakt

Hi Everyone!

I’m kinda new to Elektron, owning only a digitone.

Today I ordered my digitakt, and had some questions.

I come from a DAW setup where I use Protools to mix and arrange, and Maschine to sculpt.

I have some stereo samples that will be converted to mono once i import them into my digitakt, and was wondering if I should worry about phasing or other artifacts when this is done.

Also, I produce trap, and use the arp and pitching of hi hats, and was wondering if anyone could recommend an approach to use my digitakt in these situations.

I’d love to incorporate LFOs to my technique, primarily being used as a turntable and tape slowdown effect, but am in the dark about doing so.

If anyone has any techniques they like to share, please do.

Thanks in advance!

The transfer app doesn’t sum the sample to mono, I just takes the right channel and drops the left to make the sample mono. There are other issues that this causes but generally it creates no phasing issues.

2 Likes

thank you sir.

appreciate the help.

Rtrg for Trap HH. It’s like an Arp but you can’t change note/order.

You’re like me; I was on the fence w/ the Digitone for months then got it and was so impressed I got the DT too.

Not sure what you’re asking about the LFO; LFO is another name for auto knob mover, so if you want to auto change a parameter like Filter over time, you define it w/ the LFO. The DT LFO is obviously not as good as the DN bcos there’s just 1, but I read people using a midi track + midi out to in to augment this.

Love the DN.

This thread says Transfer takes the left channel, in case it matters to the OP.

3 Likes

Yes you are correct, I always mix that up.

1 Like

Agreed with the others previously.
Additionally, a cool trick is to use the midi tracks on the Digitone to send LFOs to the Digitakt (one per midi track, so 4 in total) so you can use them in addition to the onboard Digitakt LFOs to make more complex sounds.
BTW an easy way to make a slowdown effect is to route a LFO to pitch (negative value) and set it to be in one-shot mode, which essentially makes it an envelope that you can use to modulate any parameter. If this was done, say, on a free midi track of the Digitone then you can easily toggle it on and off to make slowdown effects for the Digitakt on the fly (gonna steal that idea in fact!)

1 Like

thank you everyone! I made my first project successfully, but am still looking to make the LFO a trig-gable pitch effect. sorta like an fx toggle on a dj controller or ableton.

a master LFO would be cool.

perhaps maybe assigning the lfo on/off to a note-less trig?

i appreciate all of the great and speedy feedback!

This slowdown effect is a bit hard to implement to be used intuively.
One thing you can try is use the controll-all feature on the tune. Doesn‘t slow down the tempo though.
Otherwise, LFOs and lots of funny trig conditions on pre-programmed patterns could work.

It‘s all not going to act like a true vinyl stop effect though unless you record your whole pattern as one sample and then play around with that.